Rahua Shampoo

Rahua Shampoo

3.7

Purified Water, Certified Organic Herbal Water Of Green Tea, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis, Shea Betaine, Coconut Betaine, Glycerin, Sea Salt, Caprylic Fatty Acid, (Natural Aroma), Glycine Amino Acid, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Corn Amino Acids, Vitamin E, Ungurahua Oil, Rahua Nut Oil, Lecithin, Palo Santo Oil, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Citric Acid.

on 10/1/2016 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The first time I bought this shampoo I had a really strong negative reaction to the scent and actually put aside the bottle, unsure if I'd be able to finish it. I'm going to be honest, the scent of this shampoo really is strong (although I will say that it doesn't cling to my hair after rinsing). If you're sensitive to fragrance, this may not be for you. I'd describe it as a nutty resinous fragrance with a sort of smoky vanilla note - pretty heavy too. It ended up growing on me over time but would likely be polarising to some people.

Anyway for a while, I relegated this shampoo to a makeup brush cleanser (ugh) after I read on Into the Gloss that Gucci Westman uses it for that (...and yes, you're fully entitled to roll your eyes at this point). Regarding its performance as a brush cleaner, I'll limit myself to saying that it does the job but at a laughably exorbitant price. Anyway, after a while cleaning my brushes with this shampoo, I realised that the scent wasn't so offensive to me anymore. So I went back to using it on my own hair and fell unexpectedly in love.

First of all, this is one of those rare 'natural'/'organic' products that actually lives up to its marketing claims. I mean, look at the ingredients list :

Purified Water, Certified Organic Herbal Water of Green Tea, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis, Shea Betaine, Coconut Betaine, Glycerin, Sea Salt, Caprylic Fatty Acid, (natural aroma), Glycine Amino Acid, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Corn Amino Acids, Vitamin E, Ungurahua oil, Rahua Nut Oil, Lecithin, Palo Santo Oil, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Citric Acid.

That is a really impressive list of ingredients for a shampoo. I don't think I've ever seen a more impressive list tbh. And more importantly, it works - the formula is amazing. It's gentle enough for daily use, it lathers up beautifully (and frankly I appreciate a sudsy shampoo) and it leaves my hair healthy and glossy. The texture is like honey minus the stickiness - just thick, golden oozy goodness. I don't use it everyday - I rotate my shampoos and conditioners, and probably have 3-4 bottles open at any given time because I like having a bunch of choices. Plus, with pricey products, rotating is a good way to make them 'last' longer. But as an everyday shampoo, this would totally be gentle enough IMO.

I've since bought a litre sized salon bottle, which I'm using right now, and have another backup in my bathroom cabinet. Obviously I adore this shampoo and I highly recommend it if you have the cash to splurge. There is ONE caveat and yup, it's the scent. While I ended up loving it, my mum gave it a try and found the scent overwhelming. Although it may grow on you over time (like it did for me), it might not. That's probably worth taking into account before shelling out for such a pricey shampoo. If you like nutty, woody, resinous scents, then go for it. If you're unsure, try and pick up one of the travel sized minis before you invest in a full bottle.

*This review is for the original formula, not the voluminising one!

on 7/4/2016 10:29:00 AM

What is all the hype about? This is supposed to make my hair magically more manageable. Instead, I find that my fine hair is dry (that never happens!) and more easily tangled. I also needed to use more product than I usually would to get it to cleanse my scalp. I tried the shampoo and conditioner together, and I think that the shampoo is a bit better formulated than the conditioner, but for this price the performance should be better.

on 9/26/2015 9:24:00 PM

Originally got this as a sample with another order. It worked wonderfully for my fine, blonde, wavy hair. It left it shiny, and gave just the right amount of cleanse for me--not too stripped, but not ineffective either.

The smell is definitely different, attributed to the ingredients. I did not find it unpleasant. It smelled like myrrh oil if you are familiar with that, or very earthy.

If only I could afford to continue buying this. But at $30 something dollars a bottle, I simply cannot afford it at this point in my life.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have a mane of thick, strong hair of Oriental and Mediterranean descent (two ethnicity's well-known for their incredible hair texture) which, without taking incredible care of and spending absurd amounts of time on, can feel coarse and is a nightmare to control. When I do have that extra hour or two a day to sit around with an olive oil mask and blow dry it strand-by-strand, it is the most beautiful mane of all manes.

Frankly, I don't have time for that.

I try to wash my hair once every three days, avoid heat to style my hair (using protectant when I do whip out the weaponry) and ensure that I go for regular trims every 4-6 weeks. I even did the big chop (from waist to pixie) after going from a natural, dark chocolate to a light auburn. I've also cut out sulphates completely and am trying to cut out silicones too.

Rahua ticks all my boxes and uses 100% natural and organic ingredients that appeal to me: ungurahua extract to nourish, regenerate and fortify the hair and scalp, quinoa to promote moisture retention and coconut to gently remove excess oil and dirt without stripping the key nutrients needed to maintain a healthy condition.

Sulphates, when activated with water and massaging, are what makes a regular shampoo foam up in order to clean the hair of dirt and grime (whilst stripping it of the natural oils and causing it to become brittle and dry.) The lack of foam in Rahua was very strange and I will tell you that the first time I used it, I only felt clean for the first few hours and ended up washing my hair the next day. It took me about 7 days of daily washing before I could notice the beauty of this range.

With continued use there is an incredible softness and a healthy shine that is always present and always guaranteed, even without the use of heat or masks. After the transition period from regular to Rahua, I have gone back to washing every three days and have been doing so for the past 48 months, with my hair feeling sexy and sleek. You have to bare with it and power through!

This is the longest period of time I have ever used the same shampoo and cannot see me changing to a different brand. It has impressed me so much that even the £27 price point doesn't faze me (and that really IS saying something!) I have used it in conjunction with the matching conditioner and am so sold on the brand that I will be trying their styling products next.

on 12/24/2014 7:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I'm so glad that I decided to buy the sample sizes of the Rahua shampoo + conditioner. I was looking for somehting without silicones because I break out so easily, and something without a lot of alcohos, etc. I was so excited to try these products, hoping that they would hydrate my dried out strands and answer my hair prayers. Lo and behold, neither of these products worked for me. My hair is dull, shine-less, dry, and unmanageable, with no style or bounce. I can't believe it!!! I really can't. After 2 washes and conditions, moving on to try something new. I've had great luck with the Number 4 hydrate line, and I may go back to it regardless of the silicone.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This left my hair very dull and with no shine or lustre. I took it to my hairdresser and was shocked at the difference from my normal shampoo. An absolute waste of money.

on 4/7/2014 6:36:00 PM

Wow. Total garbage. Shea Moisture and Acure brands are way, way better (price and quality wise). I don't require a whole lot of suds as I know they're hard to come by in all-natural shampoos, but this stuff didn't lather at all and it definitely didn't soften, strengthen, or detangle my hair. In fact it felt like I was just washing my hair with nothing at all, it sort of disappears as soon as you apply it (I required 2 hefty silver dollar sized amounts just to wash the scalp and even then it wasn't very cleansing). Needless to say, the $32 bottle didn't last me very long. I found no evidence of whatever miracle-rainforest-extract it's supposed to contain (not even a whiff of any kind of fragrance). It has an EWG score of 2, which is great, but Shea Moisture has an EWG of 0 and it's infinitely better.

on 3/23/2014 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

To explain the brilliance of this shampoo I am going to give a little history of my hair. I used to have thick, normal (not dry nor oily), voluminous, dark hair with soft curls. Then I decided to chemically straighten it. Twice. Which left me with thick, coarse, extremely dry, heat damaged, straight hair. For the past two years I've been trying to reverse the damage and have been through 20 shampoos and conditioners (no exaggeration). In my quest for healthy hair I made a gigantic mistake and tried the Moroccan oil Shampoo which was recommended to me by a salesperson at a hair salon. Not only did this strip my hair, cause split ends, dry it out even more until it looked like straw it also caused a horrible reaction - flaky scalp. My hair was at an all time low. This happened, by the way, after just one wash. I immediately threw both the shampoo and conditioner out and tried everything I could to now fix the flakes. Everything from medicated shampoos, natural shampoos, washing it everyday, not washing it for a while, trying treatments, masks, elixirs - everything. Nothing worked. Then I stumbled upon Rahua online. Just a casual mention. But I was interested just by reading about the ingredients. From anything I read online I did not expect Rahua to be as good as it has turned out to be. I waited an excruciating long time for the shipment to arrive. And then it did.

After one wash the flakes were gone - 100% gone. My hair looked thick, moisturised, lustrous and healthy. I haven't seen my hair look this good in forever. I was afraid of the volumising effect from the shampoo as my hair is already thick but it hasn't turned it into a terrible 80s disaster. I'm glad I took the chance and got it instead of the original (the volumising shampoo is better for hair exposed to hard water - like mine is) It's actually a good amount of volumising and the conditioner (which I always rinse with cold water) is very very nourishing. A little goes a long way. Too much can make your hair look and feel heavy.

Moisture: 5/5
Volumising: 5/5
Scent: earthy/medicinal 2/5
Price: worth.every.penny
Buy again: Again and again and again
Packaging: love how it looks not sure if the last bits will be accessible once the bottle is nearly out but I don't think it should be much of a problem

TL;DR This is my HG shampoo and conditioner. Don't think I'll buy anything else ever again.

I am using the Voluminous shampoo and conditioner and I absolutely love it! It smells great, it has an earthy scent to it but it isn't overpowering at all. I find that it's very muted once you dry your hair and you barely smell it. My hair is oily and I am usually the type who can't go without washing my hair everyday but now I am able to wash my hair every other day. It cleans well and to my surprise it lathers just as well as any regular shampoo except without all the harmful ingredients. It makes my hair extremely silky smooth without any tangles at all, seems to be more lightweight, and my hair has a bit more volume. I don't have anything bad to say about it because it's amazing! The only downfall is the price and the amount you get but considering how nice your hair turns out after using it, it's worth every penny. My hair is still recovering from hair loss after using Clear so I can't comment about improvement on that aspect.

on 10/29/2013 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is one of the nicest non sulphate shampoo I"ve used. The other one I like is Yarok. I have mature color treated thick but fine hair. Wish it wasn't so crazy expensive though. I look for deals from on-line retailers. A little goes a long way. Doesn't strip my color. I've already repurchased. Would like to try the volumizing next.