Australis Primer

Australis Primer

3.7

I've used two of these primers, mainly because it's hard to find inexpensive makeup in Australia and this does the job for me.

It's a gel that goes on very clear and smooth. It does seem to make my skin look better after I apply it and it never stung me like other people on here have said - I do have reasonably sensitive skin. It has no pigment so adds no colour to the skin.

I think it did make my make-up look better and helped it to stay on better. Mainly I just liked how it felt really good and cooling to apply it, and made my skin look fresh and sort of glowing.

on 8/11/2015 9:36:00 PM

This was my first ever primer, pretty cheap ($20) in a time when there weren't many selections available, and I JUST discovered primers were a must-have and not simply just another one of the billion things people have in their makeup kit.

Firstly, primers are not a waste of money. A bad one is still thousands of times better than just caking foundation on no matter how much you clean and moisterize beforehand.

Now, this primer make my skin 'sting' and I'm pretty sure it was a reaction to one of the ingredients in it. I switched to a high end primer after this but if your skin isn't particularly sensitive, this is a pretty good primer. It goes on smooth, the formula is like thin runny yoghurt. It dries pretty quickly, leaving a slightly sticky but not uncomfortable feeling (hardly noticeable) on your face. With your face primed, you can start putting on foundation, but if you put on your foundation BEFORE the primer dries it's not going to do its job. At least, this one won't.

Oil-control properties of this primer isn't great, you're lucky if you don't start looking oily after 2 hours. 4-5 hours if you're very lucky (depending on your foundation, and whether you use finishing powder, etc).

I recommend using a powder foundation to put over this primer. Liquid doesn't settle as nicely, and tends to blend with the primer instead of layering it. And if you let the primer dry completely before putting on foundation, well, you should have two 'dry' layers of foundation because the formula sits, instead of sinking into the skin so it doesn't completely smooth your face, rather it smooths over it.

Overall, it's a pretty good primer. Just don't get it near your eyes or lips.

To Read all 29 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Cheap yet effective.

This is the first and only primer I have used and I must say, I am pretty happy with it. The consistency of this product is very glue-like.

Rubs into the skin easily, however stings like crazy at times. However this just encouraged me to pay more attention to my skin and I no longer feel it sting when I apply it.

I apply this once my moisturiser has dried & find it provides a great base for my foundation. My makeup stays in place all day & doesn't shift at all.

Have no issues with this product, and due to it's low price I would definetly keep buying it. Why pay double the price for the same product? Beats me.

on 7/13/2015 7:51:00 AM

This is basically nothing in a bottle. It does nothing to smooth my skin or help the application of durability of my foundation. It's a waste of money

on 6/16/2015 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I like the gel consistency- it very easy to apply and the finish is balanced- neither dewy or matte. It helps to retain skin moisture and extend the wear of your foundation.The smell is subtle, nothing to complain about. It does sting if you have very dry or irritated skin- I just used that as a reminder to give my skin a little more TLC. I am tempted to try other primers, but ultimately I would repurchase this- and I much prefer it to the revlon photoready primer, which I had been using previously.

on 5/27/2015 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I recently purchased the 'spot primer' the one to minimise the appearance of pores, and let me just say THIS STUFF IS FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! Under my CG 3 in 1 foundation it made my skin look so smooth and almost photoshopped. Really nice for the winter-time, as it is a teeny bit drying, however it makes my skin look FLAWLESS! Would defiantly recommend, very similar to the benefit professional primer. Retails for around $16.95 AUD, worth the money 10/10 xx

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Sorry Australis. I love you guys, but this is really gnarly stuff and it is hell for sensitive skin! It's a watery gel-like consistency. Rubbing it in felt like glue, and it burned and stung around my eyes. It didn't really change how long my foundation stayed on for, either.

on 4/11/2015 9:52:00 PM

I HATE this primer. It's a gel formula and I tend to go for silicone primers... It doesn't fill in any lines or blur anything as it claims to, and doesn't prolong the wear of my foundation at all. The smell is disgusting and enough to put me off using it entirely. My skin felt oily and sticky after using this and it was not worth the money.

on 3/1/2015 8:21:00 PM

I absolutely hated this primer. It has a gel type of formula which when applied literally stung my face and left my skin feeling sticky and with a sweaty looking sheen to it. It smells absolutely terrible, a sort of chemical smell. My foundation however did stay put but it didn't give me a nice finish like my other primers do. I did give this product at three tries but I just hated it on my skin.

on 1/29/2015 1:58:00 AM

What a gem!!! I've used many primers from Loreal's base magique to Benefit's pore perfector and this one takes the cake!!! If you press it into your skin, it helps fill pores. I find it eliminates my need to moisturize in the mornings. Have repurchased many times and will continue to do so. Forever my go to product