Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Perfumes Route du Vetiver

No Image

3.6

on 5/30/2009 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Picture the blade of a shovel that's just come out of the earth. Reach over and grab a fistful of the fresh damp earth and press your nose to it. Assume that you have a healthy bundle of vetiver roots in the mix. A master perfumer takes what you smell and adds, perhaps, a dose of citrus, but in a way that conceals the citrus; its identity is hidden and it is used to add a balancing hint of sweetness. The artistry that is in this fragrance is enormous. The illusion is of vetiver roots snatched from the earth, with the subterranean dankness and rawness intact. Of course, this is a carefully considered effect that gives the impression of spontaneity. If you love the smell of vetiver you will love this frag. If you prefer vetiver processed and sweetened by citrus, as in Guerlain's wonderful Vetiver, or if you like Creed's versions, where the vetiver is there in name only, this will likely smell rank. There are rumors that this frag will no longer be distributed in the US, and rumors that the company is folding. So if you're inclined to try it, or you know it and love it, it would be worth considering stocking up or looking for substitutes.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I find it funny when people lash out against a fragrance. I don't let those types get to me, they are just hyperbolic windbags if you ask me. RdV is not for everyone, as is quite accurate - though, is ANY fragrance for everyone? I love RdV. i grabbed a 100ml, then i was lucky enough the recently purchase one of the last available bottles of 90ml online. I think most people don't even know what true vetiver oil smells like. I do. It smells like RdV. I have some from Eden Botanicals, from Surinam. I also have Ruh Khus (wildcrafted from Rajasthan desert) Vetiver from India. Ruh Khus is the most interesting vetiver i have found, due to it being extracted into copper degs and reacting with the metal to produce a unique smell as well as appearance, which is a greenish blue. This sums it up - if you don't like RdV, you don't like vetiver in its natural state. I have Encre Noir, Etro, Annick Goutal, and RdV is still the best. For those who wish to steer slear of RdV - please do! More for the rest of us!

on 8/20/2007 3:09:00 AM

Am I the only one in love with this scent? On first, second, and third sniff, I am reminded of the muddy pond that I swam in as a child during hot southern summers; it's muddy pond water in a bottle. It sounds repulsive, I'm sure; yet, it's such a captivating, intoxicating scent... I loved that scent that stuck to my skin after taking the boat out in the pond, jumping in, and swimming around. It was somehow both clean and ancient, muddy and pristine. I've smelled so many vetivers, at this point, that I wouldn't recognize one if I met in in broad daylight...yet I love whatever is going on in this scent, and whatever its master-nose had in mind during the creation/composition. It takes an insanely genius nose to come up with a scent like this.

Oh-- this is NOT a scent for snuggling with the husband or boyfriend. If you're a femme who grew up in rural environs, it's worth every penny for the experience. If not, try it anyway; you might just convince yourself. If you're male, men and women alike will be won over by your utter "back-woodsy-ness." It's THAT rustic (and yes, dreamy...)

on 8/9/2004 5:43:00 PM

I L O V E this vetiver. It's one of the less masculine blends (less masculine than Guerlain, imo) It has so much wood in it, as opposed to so much vetiver root; it smells warm and sweet. It lasts all day. The black currant note, which came across as grapefruity to me, is very complimentary in the opening notes. The musk...what ever kind it is, takes a back seat, as does jasmine. I smell no jasmine. Think *woody* instead of musky or rooty or herbish. I'll buy it. (Thanks to Kate for this great sample!)

Top Notes: Black currant, leafy green accords
Heart Notes: vetiver, precious woods, jasmine
Base Notes: Sandalwood, musk
Update: I never did buy this, but a sample lasts a long time. This is strong and rich stuff. Someday my sample will be gone though, and I still think I'd like to have this.

on 2/11/2003 10:57:00 PM

This vetiver is not for the weak of heart,it is warm and heady,and extremely masculine.the perfect balance between green and wood notes.Vetiver is a very overpowering base note that is sometimes difficult to work with,MPG mastered it and showcased it,way to go!the only vetiver that is superior to this one is Frederic Malle's Vetiver,which I just smelled and will purchase as soon as I run out of this one.this scent reminds me of sitting in front of a fire place with a nice glass of cabernet.

on 9/3/2002 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

If I knew how to describe this scent, I would (earthy and herbal have been used in other reviews and they do fit!). However, all I can say is how much I love it. As soon as I put it on, I knew it was for me. I do not find it as overwhelming as some of the other reviewers did, but maybe it's because I like it so much?? If you enjoy soft, ladylike or floral scents, this is not for you.

on 8/2/2002 9:15:00 AM

This is the first Vetiver I have tried, which Miguel at Aedes suggested. This is an incredible fragrance. When first applied, "earthy, wet roots" came to mind and after a few minutes, this delicate sweetness formed on my wrists, intertwining with this earthy moist root scent. It's delectible, and a little goes a long way. When applied lightly, it's soft, not overbearing. A very unique scent, one I will have to revisit.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

*This* is vetiver. *This* is amazing. It goes on quite strong, so be sure not to over do it...it also has a very long dry down - two hours on me. A very moist scent, and very unique - I've never smelled anything like this before. A must buy!

on 9/3/2005 8:50:00 PM

For gardeners who are suffering mid-winter withdrawal, MPG Route du Vetiver is the perfect antidote. This is essentially the scent of freshly turned dirt with some grass and leaves in it. As it dries down it becomes slightly sweeter and the blackcurrant note becomes evident, but this is still one of the earthiest vetivers I've ever come across. I think there's a private vetiver club with a secret handshake for people who can wear this scent.

Very dry and dusty, like going up into your attic. Also earthy and musty, like going down into the cellar. And rooty - will suit you if you're a country farmer. Don't take any notice of the other stated notes of blackcurrant, etc, which are just there to confuse you. I struggled for a while to identify another characteristic element which seems to dominate the fragrance and I think I finally got it - Agar Wood Oil. Very rich, deep, almost peppery; it is no surprise to know that this ingredient comes from a fungus-infected tree. The final drydown of Route du Vetiver, however, becomes unpleasantly sweet and overall, I can't recommend it.

Popular Fragrances