Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Perfumes Route du Vetiver

3.6

on 6/10/2001 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

MPG Route Du Vetiver. “Fresh green essence of vetiver grasses & roots” I guess I smelled mostly the roots. Very strong herbal smell, not for the faint of heart! This was YUK! It smelled like cedar chest, mildew, damp basement, etc. Mildew was the predominate note, followed by musty basement. At first it smells strongly of an herbal men’s cologne, then dries down to an unappealing mildew. Now, I hope everyone does’t run out to buy this one at once and create some huge shortage. ; ) If anyone has tried this, please let me know if you smelled something differently. We had company and I had everyone, smell this one, and they ALL wrinkled their noses and said, “ Ew, what is that? It smells like, “old closet”, “basements”, “mildew”, “algae”, etc. At first it is strongly herbal, it is later it takes on that weird musty smell.Nothing like L’Artisans vetiver which is fresh & nice.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

*This* is vetiver. *This* is amazing. It goes on quite strong, so be sure not to over do it...it also has a very long dry down - two hours on me. A very moist scent, and very unique - I've never smelled anything like this before. A must buy!

on 8/2/2002 9:15:00 AM

This is the first Vetiver I have tried, which Miguel at Aedes suggested. This is an incredible fragrance. When first applied, "earthy, wet roots" came to mind and after a few minutes, this delicate sweetness formed on my wrists, intertwining with this earthy moist root scent. It's delectible, and a little goes a long way. When applied lightly, it's soft, not overbearing. A very unique scent, one I will have to revisit.

on 9/3/2002 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

If I knew how to describe this scent, I would (earthy and herbal have been used in other reviews and they do fit!). However, all I can say is how much I love it. As soon as I put it on, I knew it was for me. I do not find it as overwhelming as some of the other reviewers did, but maybe it's because I like it so much?? If you enjoy soft, ladylike or floral scents, this is not for you.

on 2/11/2003 10:57:00 PM

This vetiver is not for the weak of heart,it is warm and heady,and extremely masculine.the perfect balance between green and wood notes.Vetiver is a very overpowering base note that is sometimes difficult to work with,MPG mastered it and showcased it,way to go!the only vetiver that is superior to this one is Frederic Malle's Vetiver,which I just smelled and will purchase as soon as I run out of this one.this scent reminds me of sitting in front of a fire place with a nice glass of cabernet.

on 8/9/2004 5:43:00 PM

I L O V E this vetiver. It's one of the less masculine blends (less masculine than Guerlain, imo) It has so much wood in it, as opposed to so much vetiver root; it smells warm and sweet. It lasts all day. The black currant note, which came across as grapefruity to me, is very complimentary in the opening notes. The musk...what ever kind it is, takes a back seat, as does jasmine. I smell no jasmine. Think *woody* instead of musky or rooty or herbish. I'll buy it. (Thanks to Kate for this great sample!)

Top Notes: Black currant, leafy green accords
Heart Notes: vetiver, precious woods, jasmine
Base Notes: Sandalwood, musk
Update: I never did buy this, but a sample lasts a long time. This is strong and rich stuff. Someday my sample will be gone though, and I still think I'd like to have this.

on 10/18/2004 5:41:00 PM

My apologies to all that enjoy this one, but this is the single worst fragrance I have ever encountered. It's so bad, I wouldn't dare send it out with any of my decants! Smells exactly like a wet, dirty ashtray. Completely Nauseating. continued >>

I'm always at the difference that chemistry and personal taste makes with this scent. (as with all of them, but this one has extreme lovers and detractors) I personally love it on me. It does go on quite strong and pungently grassy, but it quickly dries down to a beautiful tart berry smell with wood notes and a very soft, moist grassiness in the backround.

This fragrance is what I wished that Falling In Love and Trish #9 were like for me...but those were too sugary, syrupy sweet. This achieves the same effect with berries balanced by something warmer and fuller, but it's got an earthy quality rather than a "I smeared myself with Smuckers" thing.

Not overly masculine to my nose at all...in fact, Guerlain's Vetiver while completely different from this one actually dries down much more manly to my nose.

Very dry and dusty, like going up into your attic. Also earthy and musty, like going down into the cellar. And rooty - will suit you if you're a country farmer. Don't take any notice of the other stated notes of blackcurrant, etc, which are just there to confuse you. I struggled for a while to identify another characteristic element which seems to dominate the fragrance and I think I finally got it - Agar Wood Oil. Very rich, deep, almost peppery; it is no surprise to know that this ingredient comes from a fungus-infected tree. The final drydown of Route du Vetiver, however, becomes unpleasantly sweet and overall, I can't recommend it.

on 9/3/2005 8:50:00 PM

For gardeners who are suffering mid-winter withdrawal, MPG Route du Vetiver is the perfect antidote. This is essentially the scent of freshly turned dirt with some grass and leaves in it. As it dries down it becomes slightly sweeter and the blackcurrant note becomes evident, but this is still one of the earthiest vetivers I've ever come across. I think there's a private vetiver club with a secret handshake for people who can wear this scent.

Popular Fragrances