Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Perfumes Route du Vetiver

No Image

3.4

on 5/30/2009 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Picture the blade of a shovel that's just come out of the earth. Reach over and grab a fistful of the fresh damp earth and press your nose to it. Assume that you have a healthy bundle of vetiver roots in the mix. A master perfumer takes what you smell and adds, perhaps, a dose of citrus, but in a way that conceals the citrus; its identity is hidden and it is used to add a balancing hint of sweetness. The artistry that is in this fragrance is enormous. The illusion is of vetiver roots snatched from the earth, with the subterranean dankness and rawness intact. Of course, this is a carefully considered effect that gives the impression of spontaneity. If you love the smell of vetiver you will love this frag. If you prefer vetiver processed and sweetened by citrus, as in Guerlain's wonderful Vetiver, or if you like Creed's versions, where the vetiver is there in name only, this will likely smell rank. There are rumors that this frag will no longer be distributed in the US, and rumors that the company is folding. So if you're inclined to try it, or you know it and love it, it would be worth considering stocking up or looking for substitutes.

on 12/29/2005 12:55:00 AM

i'm sorry, but for me, this was AWFUL! i respect it, and what they were trying to do with it, but... ack! it's actually sickening to me. there's a very strong, charred vetiver. i like smoky, but something about this is beyond smoky and into charred. there's an herbal edge, rather like cilantro. and on my skin, it is terrible. i also wouldn't like a guy to smell like this. i'm sorry, i know this is a loved scent. but before you sink this much money into it, for heaven's sake, SAMPLE!

Very dry and dusty, like going up into your attic. Also earthy and musty, like going down into the cellar. And rooty - will suit you if you're a country farmer. Don't take any notice of the other stated notes of blackcurrant, etc, which are just there to confuse you. I struggled for a while to identify another characteristic element which seems to dominate the fragrance and I think I finally got it - Agar Wood Oil. Very rich, deep, almost peppery; it is no surprise to know that this ingredient comes from a fungus-infected tree. The final drydown of Route du Vetiver, however, becomes unpleasantly sweet and overall, I can't recommend it.

on 8/9/2004 5:43:00 PM

I L O V E this vetiver. It's one of the less masculine blends (less masculine than Guerlain, imo) It has so much wood in it, as opposed to so much vetiver root; it smells warm and sweet. It lasts all day. The black currant note, which came across as grapefruity to me, is very complimentary in the opening notes. The musk...what ever kind it is, takes a back seat, as does jasmine. I smell no jasmine. Think *woody* instead of musky or rooty or herbish. I'll buy it. (Thanks to Kate for this great sample!)

Top Notes: Black currant, leafy green accords
Heart Notes: vetiver, precious woods, jasmine
Base Notes: Sandalwood, musk
Update: I never did buy this, but a sample lasts a long time. This is strong and rich stuff. Someday my sample will be gone though, and I still think I'd like to have this.

on 6/10/2001 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

MPG Route Du Vetiver. “Fresh green essence of vetiver grasses & roots” I guess I smelled mostly the roots. Very strong herbal smell, not for the faint of heart! This was YUK! It smelled like cedar chest, mildew, damp basement, etc. Mildew was the predominate note, followed by musty basement. At first it smells strongly of an herbal men’s cologne, then dries down to an unappealing mildew. Now, I hope everyone does’t run out to buy this one at once and create some huge shortage. ; ) If anyone has tried this, please let me know if you smelled something differently. We had company and I had everyone, smell this one, and they ALL wrinkled their noses and said, “ Ew, what is that? It smells like, “old closet”, “basements”, “mildew”, “algae”, etc. At first it is strongly herbal, it is later it takes on that weird musty smell.Nothing like L’Artisans vetiver which is fresh & nice.

Popular Fragrances