Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Perfumes Route du Vetiver

Filtered by age: 30-35
No Image

3.2

on 6/2/2010 5:43:00 PM

Reading the list of notes in it, I see why I liked the top notes. I tend to go for blackcurrant, which is apparently in it. But the heart had, for my weird nose, a smell of sparkler or firecracker smoke, of all things. A bit too odd! That leather-ish drydown was nice, though.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I find it funny when people lash out against a fragrance. I don't let those types get to me, they are just hyperbolic windbags if you ask me. RdV is not for everyone, as is quite accurate - though, is ANY fragrance for everyone? I love RdV. i grabbed a 100ml, then i was lucky enough the recently purchase one of the last available bottles of 90ml online. I think most people don't even know what true vetiver oil smells like. I do. It smells like RdV. I have some from Eden Botanicals, from Surinam. I also have Ruh Khus (wildcrafted from Rajasthan desert) Vetiver from India. Ruh Khus is the most interesting vetiver i have found, due to it being extracted into copper degs and reacting with the metal to produce a unique smell as well as appearance, which is a greenish blue. This sums it up - if you don't like RdV, you don't like vetiver in its natural state. I have Encre Noir, Etro, Annick Goutal, and RdV is still the best. For those who wish to steer slear of RdV - please do! More for the rest of us!

on 8/20/2007 3:09:00 AM

Am I the only one in love with this scent? On first, second, and third sniff, I am reminded of the muddy pond that I swam in as a child during hot southern summers; it's muddy pond water in a bottle. It sounds repulsive, I'm sure; yet, it's such a captivating, intoxicating scent... I loved that scent that stuck to my skin after taking the boat out in the pond, jumping in, and swimming around. It was somehow both clean and ancient, muddy and pristine. I've smelled so many vetivers, at this point, that I wouldn't recognize one if I met in in broad daylight...yet I love whatever is going on in this scent, and whatever its master-nose had in mind during the creation/composition. It takes an insanely genius nose to come up with a scent like this.

Oh-- this is NOT a scent for snuggling with the husband or boyfriend. If you're a femme who grew up in rural environs, it's worth every penny for the experience. If not, try it anyway; you might just convince yourself. If you're male, men and women alike will be won over by your utter "back-woodsy-ness." It's THAT rustic (and yes, dreamy...)

I tried several times but was ultimatly unable to smell the magic here. my hand smells EXACTLY like it and ive been tending to my orchids today; i keep them in a greenhouse and cycle them through a "soaking bath" in a large cauldron that i allow to grow fetid with decomposing plant detritus for the nitrogen fertilization effect. they love it. RdV smells like i used old vase water or
pondwater to put out a campfire that someone had thrown camp trash of either rubber or plastic into as well.
beauty grows from ugliness; this is just ugly

on 10/18/2004 5:41:00 PM

My apologies to all that enjoy this one, but this is the single worst fragrance I have ever encountered. It's so bad, I wouldn't dare send it out with any of my decants! Smells exactly like a wet, dirty ashtray. Completely Nauseating. continued >>

on 9/3/2002 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

If I knew how to describe this scent, I would (earthy and herbal have been used in other reviews and they do fit!). However, all I can say is how much I love it. As soon as I put it on, I knew it was for me. I do not find it as overwhelming as some of the other reviewers did, but maybe it's because I like it so much?? If you enjoy soft, ladylike or floral scents, this is not for you.

Popular Fragrances