4.3

package quality

price range

Reviews

15 years ago

A wonderful, classic perfume. Very sensual but soft, very feminine. The packaging could use an update but I kind of like it anyway - sort of funky. My husband loves this scent on me. Enough said. P.S. I got mine on the Internet thru one of the discount houses. Lots of deals out there on this. Enjoy.

About reviewer (89 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinCombination

EyesBlue

15 years ago

I would never have chosen this one by myself, because it is so different from what I usually wear. But one sweet person made me brave enough to try :-) It smells very sexy, not dated at all (though I thought it would, because this is from 1952 or so if I am correct). No, it just smells great, sensual, good! My husband told me it was "me"

About reviewer (63 reviews)

Age36-43

EyesBlue

16 years ago

Soft as a pussycat's foot, femine, delicious. It literally makes me want to purr. I stumbled on this one while on an eBay skulk. As a dedicated scentaholic, I simply had to try it and ordered it before sampling. No disappointments whatsoever! It brings wicked thoughts of greeting my husband at the door with nothing on but a fur coat and....Bal a Versailles ;D

About reviewer (73 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

EyesBrown

16 years ago

This is one of my newest fragrance finds, even though it's been around since 1962. In Susan Irvine's book this fragrance is classified as a "woody, balsamic Oriental," and I think that description fits perfectly. It's soft, powdery, woodsy, slightly floral but not flowery. If you like Guerlain fragrances, particularly L'Heure Bleue or Vol de Nuit, I bet you'll like Bal a Versailles. It's comforting and relaxing in its powderiness, yet sophisticated and womanly. Very easy to wear, good for almost any occasion. Has a vintage aura but doesn't smell dated.

About reviewer (145 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Other

EyesBrown

16 years ago

I first purchased the EDC in the little white and gold (kitsch) bottle. At first sniff it smelled powdery and a bit dated but I kept trying it and I am so glad I did...I fell in love! I now have the EDT as well as the EDC. The EDT has a deeper musky animalic base. This is a very womanly scent and mysterious, classic. You won't smell this everywhere and my DH loves it. Here are the notes from the box liner: "Using only the finest ingredients, Bal A Versailles opens with a complex medley of Italian Bergamot, Italian Lemon, Tunisian Neroli, Ylang Ylang and Cassie Absolute. The heart of this classic floriental is based on rare and precious essences of Jasmin Absolute, Rose Absolute, Opoponax and Orris Specialities. To this are added exotic woods and spices: Vetiver, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla Absolute, Mousse de Chene Absolute, Cistus and Incense." The fragrance contains more than 300 ingredients. I love it and it is my "signature" scent- my favorite!

About reviewer (1125 reviews)

Age

SkinOily, Medium, Warm

HairRed, Wavy, Fine

EyesGreen

16 years ago

Smells warm, sensual and delicious. I like the sandalwood note. It does take you back to a bygone era when clothes were in stunning silks. I cannot add more than by saying - I love jennyb's description of this perfume.

About reviewer (182 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOther, Other

16 years ago

The perfectly named Bal à Versailles smells, as a friend of mine once memorably put it, like opening Louis XIV's underwear drawer. At once grand and intimate, a sensual foundation of sandalwood, iris, amber and vanilla buttresses a powdery jasmine-centred and somewhat animalic bouquet. Curiously appropriate for both for the big night out and the steamy summer's day, it is the aristocrat of second-skin scents.<p>Although the ludicrously expensive parfum is undeniably the best way to experience this sublime scent, the more dilute versions (even the cologne in its kitschy painted spray) are true to the original fragrance, admirably long-lasting, and frequently available on Ebay for peanuts. This makes it an affordable and accessible alternative to Serge Lutens' Ambre Sultan, which is perhaps its closest cousin.

About reviewer (944 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair

EyesGreen

16 years ago

Created in 1962 with over 350 ingredients, Bal a Versailles is an ambery, sweet, resinous, slightly floral, powdery, warm, complex, and above all, natural-smelling parfum. I cannot speak for the EDT, which is a different creature entirely. Fans of the house of Caron's Parfum Sacre, Chopard's Casmir, Guerlain Shalimar, and possibly Mugler's Angel lovers might go for this. It is not modern, clean, synthetic, or easily catagorized.

About reviewer (31 reviews)

Age30-35

17 years ago

My mother wears this, hence, it smells like my mother. Perfection. :)

About reviewer (320 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Other, Fine

EyesHazel

17 years ago

Once again, it is thanks to the lovely Christian that I was able to aquire a sample of this. Fortunately, where Habanita was instant dislike, the Bal a Versailles stole my heart immediately. It goes on abit strong, vaguely makes me think of Estee Lauder's Youth Dew or Cinnabar. However, it then settles into a glorious scent that to me is alot like Sati Say Baba's Nag Champa incense. I truly love this fragrance and despite having WAY too many perfumes, I'm ordering myself a bottle from Scentiments as soon as possible.

About reviewer (507 reviews)

Age25-29