4.3

price range

Reviews

3.0

15 years ago

Bal a Versailles is a floral oriental, very heavy and sumptuous. On me the main notes are bergamot, followed by jasmine, orange-blossom and amber. The patchouli note, however, is what spoils this scent for me. It renders it too dry and almost sour. The amount of patchouli I smell seems to depend on the weather though, so on some days this scent works better on me than others. Won't be buying a full bottle.

About reviewer (351 reviews)

SkinNormal, Medium, Cool

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

15 years ago

The early Sixties was a good time for French fashion. (Then again, what HASN'T been a good time for French fashion?! With the possible exception of the "New Look" period if, like myself, you have a waistline highly averse to being heavily nipped in...) In 1961, Yves Saint Laurent - my favorite designer of all - was just starting to shift into high gear with the opening of his own couture house. And another French master - this one of fragrance rather than fashion - was about to introduce his newest creation, Bal a Versailles. This perfumer, Jean Desprez (who had a long career - his work spanned from 1939 to 1972) formulated Bal from more than 300(!) ingredients, with Italian bergamot, lemon, neroli, ylang ylang, cassie, jasmin, rose, opoponax, orris, vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla, mousse de chene, cistus and incense among the many, many notes. Now that's perfumery! To my simple nose, it's a beautifully delicate yet not exxageratedly refined fragrance, something so applicable to so many different moods and occasions that I could easily make it a "holy grail" scent if I were so inclined. The opening is primarily smoky incense to me, with perhaps a sidenote of citrus, and the drydown combines the best kind of light and powdery floral with a balsamic, ambery, vaguely spicy base. (I am referring to the EDT, BTW.) Regardless of your fragrance preferences, I wholeheartedly encourage at least trying this one if the occasion arises. It's a truly special classic and a tremendous tribute to the talents of Monsieur Desprez.

About reviewer (192 reviews)

EyesBlue

2.0

15 years ago

I just got a Bal a Versailles set that includes the lotion and a spray bottle of the EDT (I think). I like the unique packaging with the little painting on the bottles. The lotion smells nice and I am using it, but I have tried the EDT several times and had to wash it off. It is the only fragrance I have that I just do not like at all. Maybe the bottle has gone bad, because the lotion does smell pleasant and nothing like the EDT.

About reviewer (9 reviews)

Age36-43

15 years ago

This is from one of the web discount houses: Bal A Versailles Perfume by Jean Desprez, Launched By The Design House Of Jean Desprez In 1962, Bal A Versailles Is Classified As A Refined, Oriental, Gentle, Floral Fragrance. This Feminine Scent Possesses A Blend Of Soft Sweet Spices, And Orange Flowers. It Is Recommended For Evening Wear. Personally I don't think this is old ladyish, I think it's very evening wear. It's the orange flowers combined with spices that make it piercingly sweet, not musty. In fact I don't get musty from this one at all. This is a very classy fragrance. Wear it to feel special. In my experience, men adore this one because they sense that it is so feminine, it's a real turn-on for them. I get many many compliments whenever I wear Bal a Versailles (and lots of attention from men).

About reviewer (187 reviews)

EyesOther

15 years ago

This is one of the great classic fragrances, a sensual and romantic Oriental. A terrific evening scent, perfect for memorable occasions.

About reviewer (602 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

EyesHazel

15 years ago

A complex, dry, mildly spicy floral, initially similar in sophistication and delicacy to the top notes of L'Heure Bleue. About two hours in, she shows her very creamy and powdery floral heart: The drydown of Habanita, minus the smokiness, and with a more prominent orange blossom. In another half hour, and the scent diverges a bit from Habanita - less smooth sweet tobacco leaves, vanilla and leather, more amber-floral. Divine: Habanita's upper crust cousin!

About reviewer (35 reviews)

EyesBlue

15 years ago

I have recently rediscovered this, pulling it out from the back of my perfume drawer. I've had this for a long time and really never got into it. Now, I feel like I get it! I love it now, it's so comforting to me and elegant as well. This is heaven.

About reviewer (71 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

15 years ago

Bubble gum chypre! Bal a Versailles is a powdery, ambery oriental classic, very feminine. Gives an impression of bubble gum in its topnotes, which I enjoy. Reminds me of a cross between Ciara and Boudoir, and somewhat reminiscent of EL Private Collection with its subtle green note. There have been times in my life when Bal a Versailles just didn't work at all, and times it's been perfect -- I think it's all about hormones.

About reviewer (1117 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Neutral

HairOther, Straight, Fine

EyesHazel

1.0

15 years ago

I honestly don't mean to offend any of the ladies who feel this is the greatest scent since the creation of fresh bread. However, I can't bear the thought of letting this anywhere near my skin. A sniff at the bottle makes me think of (and want to) vomit. Sorry. I'm sure this is just my warped perception.

About reviewer (129 reviews)

SkinVery Dry, Fair

HairRed

EyesGreen

3.0

15 years ago

I don't know about this. It's very fickle on me. At first try, with the Parfum strength on one hand and the Edt on the other, I thought they were going to both be winners. There was something a bit sharp and chemically about the parfum that I didn't like but as time wore on, of course the parfum lasted. Great. I liked it. Disliked the beginning on both. Don't know what I expected but I thought that it was quite generic. Middle way through, it was yummy, parfum was yummier. The end. What a disappointment. I may be a real loner out there, but I judge my fragrances mostly on the basenote. What I can smell later in the day or on my tshirt the next morning. That's what you get most of anyway so I think it's not a bad idea. The end on this was amber. Amber and sweet and nothing else. I prefer musky ends, sexy smelling ends, but this was just like I had smudged half dissolved cotton candy on my wrist. I wanted to love it, really. I tried. I even have the edp strength too...see? all 3 types -I wanted this BaAaAd...but struck out.

About reviewer (334 reviews)

Age30-35