MAC Sheen Supreme Lipstick - New Temptation

Filtered by skin type : Combination
No Image

3.7

on 10/7/2017 6:34:00 AM

Shattered that this was discontinued, as it was my HG of slightly sheer reds. Reviewing mostly on the off chance MAC haunts makeupalley to find out what they've done right, and to offer (and solicit!) suggestions for dupes...

Very moisturising, very smooth application, but not so glossy as to look like a lip gloss. Would recommend it as an introductory red for red newbies as the colour is very buildable.

Given the formulation, it does tend to settle into the lines around your mouth if you are a bit older, but this is easily sorted with a pencil. (I use thick clear wax crayons meant for eyebrows, draw a heavy line around my lips, and: no bleeding!)

The "sheen supreme" line was excellent -- a lot of lipstick formulas make my lips peel and flake, but this was more like wearing a balm -- and the loss of this colour...ouch. It was wonderfully flattering (cool-ish skin, usually the palest or second most pale in any foundation range)...

I brought the remains of my tube into a MAC store and left with, on the advice of the MUA, MAC Red and Liptensity Life's Blood. Both are nice -- the MAC Red is a smidge warmer than I would like and probably not the best pick on the part of the MUA. Quo Colour Lust in Red Devil is probably the closest I've come to a substitute, but I'm still looking. Will update this review if I find a good replacement (and if someone else has a recommendation, I'd love for them to post it here!). Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Mightiest Maraschino is brighter than it, but still plays well with cooler paler skin and the formulation is closer to the Sheen Supreme line. Laura Mercier Sexy Lips is another one to try; similar but slightly darker and with a minute amount of shimmer (but it looks like that too may have been discontinued)...

on 6/18/2012 7:25:00 PM

The most perfect blue red for the palest of ladies who want that full on red pout without the dryness associated with mattes. This has to be the easiest to wear bright red I have every used and is easy to apply. Doesn't dry my lips out too much and doesn't look awful as it wears off. A winner!

on 7/11/2011 11:22:00 PM

Finally a sheer blue red l/s. I've been on the hunt for this color for years in a sheer formula. It's close to Nars Manhunt, but has more omph. A close drugstore dupe is Cover Girl's Naturelux in Peony, but that is far, far more sheer. New Temptation has no sheen to it and leaves a lovely slight stain behind. It can "dry out" a little after the shine/gloss wear off but it's nothing to stop someone from buying it who loves a blue red sheer lipstick. The top to the tube does need a little extra "push" to close it or it will come off. This is sure to be a winner and finally MAC did a blue red that they can be proud of. I'll buy this again and again! Bliss! would have been a better name for it.
EDIT** The packaging on this product is HORRIBLE. it does not come off, you have to yank at it and the plastic thing inside of the cap comes loose and then you have a real mess. It went back the next day I can't fight with my lipstick and that's what I was doing with this. MAC needs to go back to the drawing board on their packaging!!!