MAC Sheen Supreme Lipstick - New Temptation

No Image

on 10/7/2017 6:34:00 AM

Shattered that this was discontinued, as it was my HG of slightly sheer reds. Reviewing mostly on the off chance MAC haunts makeupalley to find out what they've done right, and to offer (and solicit!) suggestions for dupes...

Very moisturising, very smooth application, but not so glossy as to look like a lip gloss. Would recommend it as an introductory red for red newbies as the colour is very buildable.

Given the formulation, it does tend to settle into the lines around your mouth if you are a bit older, but this is easily sorted with a pencil. (I use thick clear wax crayons meant for eyebrows, draw a heavy line around my lips, and: no bleeding!)

The "sheen supreme" line was excellent -- a lot of lipstick formulas make my lips peel and flake, but this was more like wearing a balm -- and the loss of this colour...ouch. It was wonderfully flattering (cool-ish skin, usually the palest or second most pale in any foundation range)...

I brought the remains of my tube into a MAC store and left with, on the advice of the MUA, MAC Red and Liptensity Life's Blood. Both are nice -- the MAC Red is a smidge warmer than I would like and probably not the best pick on the part of the MUA. Quo Colour Lust in Red Devil is probably the closest I've come to a substitute, but I'm still looking. Will update this review if I find a good replacement (and if someone else has a recommendation, I'd love for them to post it here!). Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Mightiest Maraschino is brighter than it, but still plays well with cooler paler skin and the formulation is closer to the Sheen Supreme line. Laura Mercier Sexy Lips is another one to try; similar but slightly darker and with a minute amount of shimmer (but it looks like that too may have been discontinued)...

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I am NW45 with pigmented lips. I had never worn lipstick before (I was more of a gloss person) and my friend who is a MUA suggested this to me as I wanted to explore products with more colour payoff. This lipstick is EVERYTHING! It does not dry out my lips, lasts about 3-4 hours, build-able and has a slight sheen. It is almost like a hybrid between a gloss and a lipstick. My only negative comment is that the lid is a little difficult to remove, but at least I know the lid won't be coming off in my purse. This is a great colour on virtually all skin tones!

on 6/18/2012 7:25:00 PM

The most perfect blue red for the palest of ladies who want that full on red pout without the dryness associated with mattes. This has to be the easiest to wear bright red I have every used and is easy to apply. Doesn't dry my lips out too much and doesn't look awful as it wears off. A winner!

on 3/14/2013 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

NC20, black hair, brown eyes and pigmented lips here. This lipstick represents my first foray into the world of red lipstick. I've been looking for a blue-red lipstick that doesn't multiply my lips into gargantuan proportion and become the center of my face and this is it. I'm glad I'm starting it with this one as it's very buildable. Right now I'm comfortable wearing it sheerly by using a few dabs on my lip brush and take it from there. I also use MAC Cherry lipliner, again applied very sheerly, just enough to cover up to keep the lipstick from bleeding. It WILL bleed without a lipliner. Over time if I lose my fear of overly dramatic lips, I can always build it up, and boy, it can be extremely opaque and shiny (think lip tars), especially if you apply it directly from the tube. For sure this isn't for matte red lovers. The longevity is about 4-5 hours without drinking/eating and leaves a red/raspberry stain if you don't touch up. If it helps for MUA to decide whether they should try this one, I look better in Russian Red than Ruby Woo.

on 10/18/2012 8:43:00 AM

I have no complain about its quality. New Temptation color is not a true red so not sell me off when I'm wearing daily. I love gorgeous hot color but not too strong!

When in search for a red lippy the MUA picked this out for me, the formula glides on smoothly, though when trying it out at the counter, I kinda patted it on carefully, the color was really bold for me and the MUA remarked I could use it as a stain as well and recommended Venetian lustre glass on top. Anyway, the finish was similar to Anna Sui glossy lipsticks. it lasts a few good hours, I only reapply after eating. I have no problem with the packaging. It's a nice glossy black tube. I guess thats a reminder to whats inside. I have read a couple of reviews saying the lid is hard to take off. Well I would rather have a lipstick that seals properly rather than have one that falls apart in my bag. It's not nice seeing an opened Anna Sui lipstick in your bag and the product been contaminated by the dust and dirt particles.

on 7/11/2011 11:22:00 PM

Finally a sheer blue red l/s. I've been on the hunt for this color for years in a sheer formula. It's close to Nars Manhunt, but has more omph. A close drugstore dupe is Cover Girl's Naturelux in Peony, but that is far, far more sheer. New Temptation has no sheen to it and leaves a lovely slight stain behind. It can "dry out" a little after the shine/gloss wear off but it's nothing to stop someone from buying it who loves a blue red sheer lipstick. The top to the tube does need a little extra "push" to close it or it will come off. This is sure to be a winner and finally MAC did a blue red that they can be proud of. I'll buy this again and again! Bliss! would have been a better name for it.
EDIT** The packaging on this product is HORRIBLE. it does not come off, you have to yank at it and the plastic thing inside of the cap comes loose and then you have a real mess. It went back the next day I can't fight with my lipstick and that's what I was doing with this. MAC needs to go back to the drawing board on their packaging!!!

on 1/10/2012 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My HG red!! I love it! I agree with the previous reviewer that the packaging isn't wonderful (the lid kind of sticks, so you have to pull hard to get it off). However, the quality of this lipstick is superb. It is very moisturizing and long-wearing (especially on top of MAC Cherry lip liner). I apply it with MAC's retractable lip brush. Amazing!