Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Hydro-Cream Whip

Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Hydro-Cream Whip

4.2

Not tested on animals

What a great product! It really gives you volume, softness, frizz protection!! Works beautifully before a blow dry, being a mousse it's not sticky at all, just creamy. A real multifunctional product, hydration, hold, volume, softness, shine...so mad I discovered it so late. And the smell is fantastic.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I was on a Paul Mitchell Awapuhi product kick and got this along with the texturizing sea spray.
The Awapuhi line does have a sweet fragrance so if you're scent sensitive, beware.
I don't mind it as it's not too sweet or overpowering.

I think this product (and mousses in general) is better suited for fine or naturally curly hair and my hair is neither. It's medium/thick textured, straight Asian hair and no man made product will give my hair that lift and body wave advertised in commercials or as seen in print ads.

I do like the fact that it doesn't leave a sticky feeling in my hair and it doesn't give me that 'crunchy' look that other mousses can.

I'm hoping to use this up as it's taking up space in my bathroom and I won't be re-purchasing as it doesn't do a whole lot for my hair. (there's a reason why I stopped buy mousse products and this confirms why)

on 2/8/2016 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My HG of hair products!
Love, love, love this mousse. I don't even like to call it a mousse because it's really more of a cream.
My hair type is a mix of curls, waves, and just plain frizz, I could NEVER just "wash'n go", so this product has made life so much easier!
I wear my hair either scruched or blown out, and the best thing about this mousse is that you can use for both styles.
When it's humid out I scrunch my curls. First I carefully scrunch my dripping wet hair with a towel, then immediately scrunch in a golfball amount of this mousse and let it air dry. My curls come out touchable, soft, and frizz free.
This mousse is also amazing at smoothing, and giving shine, and softness when you blow your hair out with a brush.
It smells delicious too:)
If your hair is very coarse this may not be enough hold, but you could mix it with a gel.
Also, this is not the best for volume at the roots, it might be ok for for some but I wouldn't recommend it.

on 8/31/2015 10:39:00 PM

LOVE it. One of my favorite products. I have extremely fine hair, and this is the only product I can easily use to get volume without using a ton of hairspray or teasing my hair. This can be kind of expensive, but a little bit goes a long long long way so you get a ton of uses in one bottle.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have shoulder length wavy/curly hair and live near the ocean, so frizz is a constant issue. I blow dry my highlighted hair, and although this product (foam) smells great, and smooths my hair nicely, as soon as I go outside-poof! My hair puffs out and frizzes immediately. I use it only if I'm headed somewhere far from the beach.

on 3/27/2015 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I bought this after reading an online recommendation that this mousse gives volume to curly hair without drying. (My hair is waist-length, coarse, dense 2b/c curls) I havenít used mousse in over a decade, but since my hair is currently waist-length itís very flat at the roots. I have to shake the can pretty vigorously to get the mousse to dispense and once short pulse dispenses a golf ball-sized glob of mousse. I apply my hair serum while still in the shower. After wrapping my hair loosely in a microfiber towel, I start to apply this at the roots, but I have to be careful not to get it directly on my scalp because itís very drying on the scalp and makes it itch. Next I apply my curl product, the current favorite being Davines Love Curl Enhancing Serum, from my ears to the tips, scrunching as I go making sure the last of the mouse has been distributed (no white streaks of mousse visible). Then I leave my hair alone until it dries (2-3 hours, my hair is very dense). When it comes to volume, this mousse maybe gives me a half inch, but the curls on top of my head are frizzier and shorter hairs on top curl off in their own direction rather than joining with a larger curl. The next time, I skipped the mousse and the hair on top wasnít frizzy, so I know it was this product causing the frizz. I actually think that this product works too well at curling individual hairs and not very well as defining whole curls. This was a big disappointment (Iím glad I bought this on sale), the volume was not worth the frizz. I wonít buy this again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I want to first off say that I am a lucky one. I have a lot of licensed cosmetologist friends so I get this at the same price they do. Otherwise this stuff is way too expensive. I love it though. It is a different kind of mouse; it is so creamy. Very lightweight but hydrating, this stuff still offers great hold and body. The smell is a huge plus.

on 6/24/2014 6:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this on the recommendation of my stylist. You don't need to use a lot and it's very creamy. It also smells wonderful. It helps define my curls and is good at taming the frizzies. My only gripe is the price, it's stupid expensive. I would only buy it again if they drop the price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I was a student at Paul Mitchell the school when this product came out. At first, the hype was huge and I tend to be pretty skeptical when hype is involved.

When I first started using it, I used to cocktail it with other products so I never got the full effect of what this product can do on its own. Now that I use it on my own hair, I never mix anything with it...it is WONDERFUL on its own!

This mousse is unlike any mousse I've ever used (on myself or on a client.) The moment you put a little in your hand, you can tell it's different. The texture is creamy but it's not heavy in your hair.

What I like most is that it helps control my frizz, even when I play with my hair throughout the day. Even looks good on days 2 and 3!

on 7/18/2013 7:03:00 AM

I love the Paul Mitchell Line of Awapuhi Wild Ginger products. I currently use the shampoo and conditioning cream and decided to give the Hydro-cream whip a try. After applying it to my hair and blow drying, my hair looks incredible. I have increased volume and my hair is shiny and falls perfectly into place. This is a lovely product and I am quite impressed. The price is a bit expensive but well worth it with the results obtained.

Popular Styling Products