Jean Patou Joy

Jean Patou Joy

3.9

on 5/26/2016 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My favorite perfume of all time! This is a gorgeous and balanced fragrance. If it weren't so expensive, I'd wear it everyday!

Top Notes: Aldehydes, Peach, Green Leafs.

Heart Notes: Bulgarian Rose, Jasmine, May Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Tuberose.

Base Notes: Sandalwood, Musk, Civet.

I own both the EdP and the EdT. I owned the EdT first and liked it enough to purchase the EdP. This review is for the current formulation Joy EdT.

Joy is a very naturalistic floral with no added sweetness to it whatsoever. Upon first application, all I was able to detect was heavy aldehydes, a few dozen roses, and a lot of jasmine. Then, after the dry down, I could begin to vaguely detect other unnamed, lovely flowers with rose and jasmine still predominate. I am unable to specifically discern either ylang-ylang, which I love, peach, or sandalwood at any point during Joy's mild development. Unfortunately, my nose is not well tutored enough for me to identify all of the florals, but they do smell lovely. If this had been strictly roses only, I probably would not have added the EdP to my wardrobe.

Joy is a very feminine, floral fragrance. I personally do not detect a powdery note in it. I also do not detect anything even vaguely animalic in it either, although many wearers swear it has a strong civet note. This may be true of the vintage extrait, but I have never smelt the vintage, so I really cannot say. To my nose, Joy is just a feminine floral with very heavy doses of roses and jasmine that mostly overpower any other floral notes. In my mind's eye, I can imagine Katherine Hepburn's character wearing this in the Philadelphia story. It somehow fits both the actress and her character in that film.

Joy is reminiscent of that deep, intoxicatingly floral smell one would detect if one walked into a small florist's shop where all that is sold is flowers---the type of mum and pop florist shop of my childhood which I believe are now extinct. Those shops largely have given way to the big stores as have the small mum and pop grocery stores of yesteryear, but this fragrance is definitely reminiscent of those small florist shops of yesteryear, and because of this, I find Joy nostalgic.

I can detect the EdT on myself pretty well for about two to three hours. I do not know if anyone could smell it on me after that or not. Sillage and projection are moderate. Longevity is moderate.

Overall, Joy simply is a nice floral fragrance that reminds one of beautiful, wealthy, young ladies of another era. I say this because flowers used to be a lot more expensive than most are these days. "In the old days," it cost a pretty penny to send a dozen roses to one's sweetheart, and I am sure that in the midst of the depression, it must have cost much more, hence the description of Joy as the costliest parfum in the world at the time it was launched in the midst of the Great Depression.

I like Joy, and I think it would be appropriate for both daytime and evening wear, church wear, weddings, and any time one wants to affect a feminine, soft, rosy floral. I think Joy is definitely a year round fragrance, too, but I expect one might enjoy it most during Spring and Summer. Purchase the EdT if you want the lightest version. Purchase the EdP if you want a slightly deeper, richer floral.

Between my bottle of EdT and my bottle of EdP, I think I have enough Joy to last me for the rest of my life. If I ever were to run out, I might look for a vintage extrait, but I do not think I would repurchase either the EdT or the EdP again because overall florals are not my favourite parfum category, although there are many that I like. I lean more toward the various types of Orientals, i.e. Oriental floral, Oriental woody, Oriental spicy, and, Oriental vanilla. However, if you love rose and jasmine, you will likely be very pleased with Joy. It is a classic that everyone should at least try. If you want to keep one classic floral in your fragrance wardrobe, Joy would be a good choice.

The below ratings reflect the fact that florals are not my favourite fragrance category, but I do feel that Joy is a good quality fragrance. Also, the below ratings are for the first three hours. Thereafter, Joy pretty much turns into a skin scent on me at best. Neither the EdT nor the EdP is especially long lasting on my skin.

Fragrance: 6/10
Projection: 6/10
Sillage: 6/10
Longevity: 5/10

To Read all 161 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Reviewing the vintage extrait, which, sadly, I no longer have...

Joy used to be such a mojo boosting potion! On my skin, it was mostly jasmine, the rose only acting as an anchor for the other notes to latch on.
I remember the way the civet, musk and castoreum mingled throughout the composition, the scent was a dewy floral with a shockingly erotic side.

If your skin doesn't like indoles, avoid this one like the plague: I've heard it described as
being stuck in a public bathroom with a clogged toilet and trying to plunge through with the dying bouquet you grabbed from the vase on the counter.

But if your chemistry is like mine, and you get your hands on the vintage extrait, do yourself a favor and turn off the phone this evening: you won't be taking any calls, lol.

on 10/2/2014 6:12:00 PM

This was a gift. For full disclosure, I am a lover of gourmands and some various odd-ball scents. While I can see the appeal of Joy, unfortunately I am one of those who can truly smell the animalic poo-poo note in it. As such, it is simply a bit too old-fashioned for my taste. Alarming and dated as one reviewer put it. Not suitable for work, questionably appropriate for romance and certainly not for down-time relaxation.....oh well. I will keep my bottle for the odd moment, but would not repurchase.

Last summer I ordered COCO pure parfum on ebay, and seller was nice to put the edt Joy by Jean Patou as a free gift. I was so scared to spray it on skin, so instead sprayed in the package box it came with. What can I say? Terrible terrible smell! but I didn't throw it away, just put it away in my closet.
Today I stopped by little Vintage shop, and guess what I see there: Vintage, Pure Parfum Joy Jean Patou, 1oz, made in France. Box looks very old, but bottle inside is new. Remembering my previous experience with edt, I wasn't sure I want to smell it, but beautiful price of 12$ (and on ebay they go for 350$ and up) made me buy it. Thank you Jesus I bought it!!! I barely touched my skin with crystal stopper, not even 1 drop, and most beautiful fragrance filled the room. Sorry Chanels and Shalimar, my new love is Joy. No cat pee, as some reviewers detect in it, just smooth rounded jasmine and rose. I can't stop smelling my wrist. Quality of the parfum is amazing! Im still scared to get my edt bottle out and compare it side by side. 30ml of this pure Joy is wonderful, but I will search for another bottle or bottles)) My inner hamster wants to get as much of this stuff as possible because it's rare and vintage and hard to find. I never tried modern Joy, but as with every perfume, vintage is always better because only natural ingredients were used. Little tip for any vintage perfume lover as myself: it is possible to find rare and vintage perfume at garage sales, estate sales, vintage shops and thrift stores. there is also Ebay, but it's better to smell fragrance first, to make sure it is not fake or spoiled. well, that's it about Joy. Wonderful perfume, and in pure parfum form it's heaven. Highly recommend.
I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED... BUT ONLY THING I CAN SMELL IS CIVET IN THIS PERFUM(((( SMELLS EXACTLY LIKE CAT'S LITTER BOX. CANNOT WEAR IT ANYMORE.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Someone gave me a cute tiny miniature bottle of Joy, I've had it for years then decided to make something different out of it that would not clash with the amount of Joy left, so topped it up with Chanel No 5 because I really like the little bottle, its a screw top so I'm able to re-fill it with anything.

Joy is not an absolute favorite of mine, so don't think I would buy it.

on 5/19/2014 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

The second I sprayed this on myself I thought insecticide. I've heard others call this cat pee & I get what they mean! It's very sharp! 15 mins I can still smell insecticide with flowers starting to peek through. Then there's this beautiful woody scent starting to come through & I can smell the roses in this & the insecticide smell is gone. This is when I start enjoying this scent. The florals, the woods almost like incense, there's a bit of powder in there....This perfume keeps morphing & revealing itself bit by bit. It definitely is a classic, classy scent The beginning scared me but it morphs into something lovely.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

Amendment to my first review. I bought a vintage, sealed bottle (black) on ebay and it is a beautiful, dense floral. It smells like you are in a bouquet of roses. A bit musky, and not a girly scent.. It is a vintage scent, but wouldn't say old lady. Nothing else smells like it. When I put it on I imagine well dressed lady with a hat, red nails, a scarf of those minks connected, stockings, and a martini glass. Bette Davis in All about Eve. It's still unique, sophisticated and very French. If you are interested in vintage perfumes it is a must try. Maybe get a decant on Etsy. My first review was for a bottle that I now believe was fake (also bought on ebay) " I found that stuff un-wearable and unbearable. It smelled like a damp, dirty dog who had also rolled in fresh deer dung. I have a dog who has done that so know how it smells. My husband even came in the room an hour after I lightly spritzed one wrist and said the dog needed a bath "

on 6/21/2013 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Great to have as a reference, but not very wearable for me. I only have the EdT which I find rosier than the EdP (I've never had the opportunity to smell the parfum) with slightly less jasmine. The rose is surprisingly lemony and fresh and contrasts well with the highly indolic jasmine and tuberose. There's some powdery iris and a fair amount of ylang ylang. All of it is blended smoothly to create a big, old fashioned floral. The animalic notes in the base are alarming and dated. I can't say that I like Joy but it's so impressive and such an interesting perfume, I have to give it at least 4 lipsticks. There is something fascinating about it... truly a perfume of a different era.

on 2/2/2013 2:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Joy by Jean Patou can be described as the quintessential vintage fragrance overflowing with rose, aldehydes, and civet. The civet is definitely loud and dirty, but it blends with the sweet, juicy aspect of the rose rendering it velvety and luscious. When I wear Joy, I conservatively apply it and keep a modern appearance. Id love to meet someone who swims in this fragrance :)

Popular Fragrances