The Body Shop Lip & Cheek Stain

The Body Shop Lip & Cheek Stain
image 1image 2image 3

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Methylparaben, Aminomethyl Propanol, Red 33.

In looking for a dupe for benetint (for lips) that doesn't cost $40 CAD, I gave this a try for around $10. The color (Deep Berry) is great and the effect is exactly what I like in a stain, very subtle and brightens your complexion without looking or feeling like you're wearing any lip product. I took two lippies off though because the product just isn't as liquid as benetint... Its more of a goop, and too much product is on the applicator. So when you apply a little bit to your lips and press them together, the product just goops up on the edges of your lips rather than spreading evenly. You have to take your finger or a separate brush to spread the product out for an even layer. The problem with that is it's a stain... It stays on my fingertip through hours until I am able to scrub it off. Also, it doesn't last that long on lips. While I do drink a lot of water and it doesn't transfer to the glass, it still wears off in about 4 hours.

I really don't think benetint is worth it for the amount of product you get and the hefty price, so I will keep trying different substitutes. This one is probably fine if you aren't bothered by the messy application, but personally, I'll keep searching.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I search for some reviews to convince myself to buy this product or not, cuz my mom told me to buy nyx lip matte than buy this.
But, after I found some reviews and bcs Im so curious with this product, then I bought this yay. And............ luckily, this product amaze me *except its price*
I really like its red color with some blink blink, even when I apply it when it still wet or after a bit dry.
It has a long stick and it really helps me to apply the lipstain on my lips. But, I never apply it on my cheek till now, bcs I have sensitive cheek and it blush easily, so Im afrai it'll make my cheek overly-red
So, if you like half-lipgloss-half-lipstick product, yet you dont want them both, you should try this. And theres 2 color options, pink-purple and red. I never try the pink-purple on bcs Im in love with the red one.

To Read all 145 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/16/2015 4:24:00 AM

Although the packaging is kinda meh , I'm in tint heaven ! It looks so great on my lips and the vibrant colour just brightens up my pale complexion !

I love this product! I hate putting lipstick everyday or having to fix every now and then. This lipstain saved me! I put around 2-3 coats to get an amazing red-natural colour and i use a clear lip balm over it and i'm done! It lasts sooo long and even when it fades it doesn't look bad. Only thing is.. be sure to exfoliate before using it because it doesn't look good on chaped lips.

I love this lip and cheek stain! I only use this on my lips, I have not applied on my cheeks as I prefer to use a powder blush. I love the appearance of this lip stain, it doesn't look obnoxious. It lasts quite a while roughly 4 or so hours before I have to re apply. I would definatley recommend this lip stain. I love it and I have purchased this 2 times, as my first one ran out so quickly, I was obsessed with it. It's easy to apply, which is why I love it. Especially in a rush.

on 4/18/2014 8:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

INTRO:
Oh boy, do I LOVE a good stain. I'm a big fan of natural looking make up. Pink lips, defined brows, lashes groomed with clear mascara. That, my friends is my everyday make up look. Now, lipstick never seems to look right on my lips. Perhaps it's just me, but they just never sit right. This frustration eventually led me to this little gem: The Body Shop Lip and Cheek Stain. I have this in the shade Rose Pink. It looks red in the tube, but leaves a beautiful berry stain. I do not use it as a cheek stain, though. So, my 5 lippies are for it beautifully doing it's job as my loyal HG lip product. :) Now, onto what everyone REALLY cares about, haha! All the important details of the product are also cleverly enlisted below within the pros and cons by yours truly, heh. Hope this is helpful!

PROS:
-The stain is not sticky whatsoever.
-It sets right into your lips after a few minutes without leaving a sheen or any kind of texture. It has a watery texture at first, but that disappears as it sinks in.
-Adheres very well to the lips (looks extremely natural).
-Has great staying power. Stays fresh for at least 4 hours before fading occurs.
-Works on slightly pigmented lips too, like mine.
-Can be built up to any desired pigmentation.
-The doe-foot applicator aids easy application.

CONS:
-Runs out quickly. Henceforth, the $14 price tag's a little too much.
-Can not be used as a cheek stain as it splotches. Takes a lot for it to actually blend and look good. This is a marketed as a lip and cheek stain. Even though I don't use it as a cheek stain, I thought I'd let you guys know.

WHO SHOULD BUY THIS?
-Someone who's looking for a natural looking stain
-Someone who does not also want it to to double as a cheek stain.
-Someone who's work environment is not appropriate for the use of lipgloss/lipstick.

CONCLUSION:
Bottom line, I think this is one of the best stains I've ever used. Invest in this, especially if the cons don't bother you. They certainly don't bother me! This is an HG for me. I'll definitely buy it again, and if you're still wary about this product after my review, feel free to PM me in case you have any further questions.

Cheers!

on 1/18/2014 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I think that it is great that they do not test this product on animals, but it seems like they have not tested it on anyone.

On lips, it goes on without much work and gives a nice sheer color. However, after an hour or taking a sip of anything, the color on the outer edges of your lips fades, while the inner part of your lips remains much darker. It makes it look like you've been drinking Tropical Punch Kool-Aid, and it's difficult to reapply in the lighter areas and work around the darker areas.

In short, I'll stick to my Sephora lip stain.

I was looking for a reasonable priced cheek stain that is lightweight and long lasting, good job on this BodyShop!
I enjoyed using this more toward the cheek rather than the lip. Staying power is pretty decent for about ~6hrs. I do like the fact it is fragrance-free :)
The drying time is quite fast, but it does leave a bit time for you to blend it or tap it around the cheek area. It can be build up for more dramatic look, or just put on a really sheer layer and it looks sooo natural on my NC30 skin tone.

the only downside to this is that it kinda dried my skin a little tiny bit during the winter time, but as long as it doesn't break me out, or cause rash, it is ok.

recommended.

on 12/23/2013 10:39:00 AM

***EDIT***: I tried this for quite a few months and I have to re-evaluate certain problems!

I purchased this for SGD $22.90 in retail stores. Packaging is OK, comes with a wand for you to apply your lips just like how you would apply a lipgloss. Quite sleek and cute, it was one of the reasons why I purchased it. I don't use it on my cheeks.

Pros:
+ Sleek packaging, gives off a very sophisticated and modern feel. I like the look of it.

+ Since it's a "LIP AND CHEEK STAIN", and it really stains your lips, no kidding. I like the look of it initially. It gave me a youthful look and perfect for a day to run some errands and I just want some colour on my lips which is not over the top and still looks presentable.

+ The stain lasts really long, enough for a day. I don't remember having to re-apply it. I only removed it when it's late at night and when it's time to remove my overall makeup.

Cons:
- The after stain look --> it looks great when you first apply it. You can see the colour very visible on your lips. However after a few hours, it seems like the colour inside your lips will start to fade first, leaving a very visible thin outline of the stain on your lips. It looked so weird and awkward, I didn't even realize how it did to my lips until using the washroom. I mean, will I even look nice with an outline of a red stain on my lips?!

- Didn't feel moisturizing. I have days where my lips feel chapped. So after using this.....my lips look as bad as ever.

- Expensive. For a stain that gave me this result after wearing for the first few hours, I didn't think it was worth it. I would have easily bought other substitutes or even a simple lip gloss instead.

Conclusion: I only purchased this as I'm a big lover of TBS and I know that their products are really good and do not test on animals. However, this is a no go for me. I'm sorry!

on 12/15/2013 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I love cheek and lip stains and was incredibly disappointed with Benefit's Benetint (which didn't show up at all on my lips, and looked patchy and awful on my cheeks while having zero staying power - like less than 3 minutes on my lips if I could even see it). I decided to give this a try and am now on my second tube.

On my NC20-25 cheeks this looks great, like just-came-in-from-a-cold-day sheer wash cherry reddish pink, and I only need to apply once to see it. It doesn't feel sticky after drying and is easy to apply. I tap it in gently with fingers after applying with the wand, usually after tinted moisturiser/BB cream or a light foundation but it works great on bare skin as well. If I want a more dramatic look, I apply a bit more and slowly build up it up, then set set with some translucent powder. I find the staying power to be really good too - I never touch this up during work (8-10+) hours, unless I'm going out after and want to refresh my make-up.

On lips though - it's another story. While it does look cute, gives a nice sheer wash of colour while it's on, it doesn't last as long as I would like it to, I need to touch-up in about 2ish hours after applying. But it's still great for a natural sheer wash of colour on your lips that's non-drying and very comfortable to wear. I love it so much on my cheeks though, and have other options for lip stains that I could care less. I love it and will keep repurchasing it, it's often on sale, worth the money and works so much better than Benetint - very happy with this one! I also wish they came out with more colours, online and in store I've only seen #01 Rose Pink.

Popular Lips Products