Illamasqua Skin Base foundation

Illamasqua Skin Base foundation
Skin Base foundation

3.6

INGREDIENTS: AQUA (WATER), CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM (MINERAL OIL), PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, TALC, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, MICA, DIMETHICONE, SILICA, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, CYCLOMETHICONE, PHENOXYETHANOL, ISOSTEARIC ACID, STEARIC ACID, PEG/PPG-18/18 DIMETHICONE, METHYLPARABEN, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, NIACINAMIDE, SODIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, DIMETHICONE/METHICONE COPOLYMER, SODIUM HYALURONATE,PARFUM (FRAGRANCE) [+/- MAY CONTAIN: CI 77491 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77492 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77499 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), CI 77002 (ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE)].

Not my HG but my first foundation purchase after switching to cruelty free (from MAC) and I like it. Needs to be paired with a different primer though, their one is crap. The coverage is great and it feels comfortable. Only negative would be it could last longer but it agreed with my skin!

on 12/30/2016 9:40:00 AM

I'm slowly changing out every not-cruelty free makeup product I have, and finding a couple of first class foundations would be next in order. Try #1: Illamasqua Skin Base. It has gotten some very mixed reviews, but I decided to go for it, despite the seriously headache-inducing online shade matching I had to do.

I purchased shade 03, which according to all (the very few) comparison charts should match my favourite tinted moisturizer, Nars Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Spf 30 in Finland. And yay! It matched. Quite perfectly, I might add. First obstacle cleared, with flying colours.

When it comes to consistency, this must the the most freakishly difficult foundation to blend, ever. With fingertips it'll fasten the moment it hits my face and starts to roll, no matter what I have underneath. With a moist beautyblender it works better, but the bb must be patted dry to an exact degree, otherwise the foundation will a) be sucked into the bb (too dry) or b)lose consistency into a watery sludge (too wet). A very dense, top quality round foundation brush will work, but you have to be quick about it. But when you do get it right, the result is luminous perfection.

It's not exactly matte, but not really dewy either. It requires very little setting powder, mostly just on the t-zone. It gives my skin a very beautiful glow and sits tight all day. No change in shade, needs a touch-up on the t-zone after some 6 hours or so. There's a slight hint of scent, some kind of vanilla, but it's not disturbing and vanishes fast. The packaging is quite simple and streamlined, the nozzle works fine as you need very little of this stuff to cover your whole face. And yes, it's a medium-to-full-coverage foundation. Even with very careful building it'll look airbrushed. So no "I just happen to have this great skin"-illusion, I'm afraid. It just looks so flawless and radiant that people will start to look closer, as in "with a microscope". :D

Also, this is definitely not for those of you with very dry skin. It WILL show every flaky patch you have. Of course, in this pale spectrum (Illamasqua 03/ Nars Finland/ MAC NC 15) almost every foundation will look bad on a dry patch, but the Skin Base sort of takes it a step further.

Still, it's a very good foundation with an extensive range of shades. It does what a full-cover foundation is supposed to do with very little product and offers great staying power. Once you find your shade (I really must recommend finding an Illamasqua counter) and master the blending, it's a winner. The only big minus I can think of is the lack of sunscreen, but with the right moisturizer or primer, it's fixed.

on 12/8/2016 4:14:00 PM

Despite only giving one lippy.

I don't hate this foundation, I just really dislike it.
I didn't really like it because it dries to a very powdery finish.
The packaging isn't great, it's a struggle to squeeze out what's left.
I got the shade 7, which is described has having yellow undertones in it but it's a very light pink colour. Just completely washed out my complexion and was far too light.

I always use a buffing brush to apply foundation but the texture of the foundation doesn't like this method. It sits on the face and doesn't really provide coverage in some areas, so you feel like you have to build it up and soon your in danger of looking cakey.

A damp beauty blender is the way forward with this, it does give a skin like finish with this method, And with a lot of work, you could make it look natural.

It does feel very lightweight which is nice but this is not a full coverage foundation. I personally think it's medium when you build it up. But I just hated the powdery finish it left.

Won't repurchase as I'm not paying that much for a foundation I didn't really like. Didn't really last that long either. Just not a great foundation in my opinion.

Oh and this transfers really bad.

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I am so glad I decided to try this foundation again! I used it when I was 14-15 years old, and found it was bad on dry patches and separated on my oily nose (hooray for combination skin), but now that I am a bit older and use primers to combat my difficult skin (The Nivea men's post-shave balm as a primer on dry skin, Soap and Glory 'one heck of a blot' on my nose) I found it to be a great foundation overall.

80% of the time I can't find a shade for my pale skin, but the skin base foundation comes in loads- The 02 was perfect for me. The coverage is medium and feels quite thick initially when squeezed out, but I found it can be easily applied light or a little more heavily. I set the foundation very lightly with a translucent powder (as it is on the dry side) and had no transfer or separation, even after about 7-8 hours. It survived a night out too, so top marks from me!

I would advise though, if you have *very* dry skin it might not be the best foundation for you. I made my dry patches work with a primer, but after 7-8 hours it looked just a tiny bit on the dry side on my brow.

I have to give props to the packaging too- The bottle is very easily to take out and about without worrying about it breaking, but still not looking/feeling cheap.

on 9/21/2016 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I don't ever write reviews but recently I have started to and this is my first negative review I am writing. Read a lot of great reviews about this foundation before purchased it. My shade was 12. Had a trial in debenhams uk, Westfield. Shop assistant was fab! Foundation looked great so I purchased and off I went shopping. Returned home some 3 hrs later. I have a white dining table and my husband was wondering what the orangey shade finger marks were which we later discovers was me lol...I must have touched my face at some point and the color of the foundation had transferred onto the table, that is was a little odd so I touch my face again and then touched tissue paper I was shocked as to how much transfer there was, not good at all. I then checked my face the foundation looked awful, it's as if it had separated from my skin instead of sucked in and was just sitting on the skin, it really did not look good and even though it did not look patchy it looked as if it had worn off so quick but still was just sitting there. I grabbed a makeup wipe and gentle started to remove it, was little hard to get off consider it was just sitting there, strange. Anyways off I went to read more reviews and came across many others complaining about the same thing I had experienced. I was confused as there were many good reviews too. Anyways, bottom line is its a no no. It does not last long at all, it transfers, oh and I forgot to say it settled in my fine lines very well, so even thought it looked fab straight after it was applied, it was rubbish to be honest. I got a refund. I think I will stick to my holy grill foundation which the the Hourglass seamless vanishing stick.....it's totally amazing stuff, I was just being greedy and wanted another high end foundation but after trying many, trust me the Hourglass is the bomb and I will be writing a review on this cos it's just too good, I'd say the best foundation of 2016' whoop woop ! X

on 9/18/2016 1:55:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Love this foundation it's such a thing of beauty. Goes on my skin seamlessly so gorgeous and my colour match gives me a beautiful golden glow. I am of an Asian Pakistani heritage and the range of shades is brilliant. I am a shade 12 and NC42 in Mac. The only slight gripe I have is the packaging, it's hard to tell how much is left and it gets quite hard to squeeze out. This is the best colour match I've had ever. The price point is reasonable as it is a great product. I would recommend getting a sample or letting the SA to try it on your skin before buying. If you don't have a store near you then that's a shame.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I was looking for a new medium coverage foundation with a slight dewy finish so thought I'd give illamasqua a go and I'm quite disappointed with this product. The color is a nice match, I bought 8.5 but I found this it just sits on top of my skin and isn't the easiest to blend and sits on my skin even with with blending.
I actually prefer my Rimmel 25hr lasting foundation which I was using before I tried skin base,

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Obsessed!

Super blendable, amazing range of colours. On my normal/combination skin is very long lasting, looks beautiful- the finish is natural I would say but medium to full coverage. So easy to work with, so faster to apply than other foundations I've used before eg double wear. Personally I use a buffing brush or a beauty blender- works well with both.

To be honest I'd never go back to double wear or other brands for that matter- this and the rich liquid foundation beats have all my base needs covered and Illamasqua is cruelty free and doesn't clog my pores at all.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This foundation works well for me in heat of the summer and in bitter cold winters too, so they're right when they say it's for all skin types. There are so many shades to choose from, and there should be a shade for all skin tones. It sets to a very natural finish, it's not a flat matte or shiny but just like how your skin would naturally look like.

Shade 8.5 or 9 works well for my nc30 skin. packaging is very compact and travel friendly which is always a plus. It offers really good coverage, you can sheer it out if wanted or can layer it up for that flawless full coverage look. This foundation would work amazingly for weddings and special occasions, because wouldn't give you that white cast as there's no spf.

on 3/28/2016 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I tried the Skin Base foundation in 2, the palest colour before white. It was a nice colour match for my N5 skin. I usually prefer foundations that lean yellow to counteract the redness on my complexion but this wasn't too pink so it still looked ok.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't get this foundation to play nicely with my dry skin. I tried gently applying with fingers, a RT Miracle Complexion Sponge and a brush but it just did not work. I think to get a nice finish it would need to be heavily buffed into the skin and my skin is too delicate for this process.

If you have normal or oily skin and are searching for a foundation with a great colour range this may work well for you.