Illamasqua Skin Base foundation

Illamasqua Skin Base foundation

3.6

INGREDIENTS: AQUA (WATER), CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM (MINERAL OIL), PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, TALC, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, MICA, DIMETHICONE, SILICA, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, CYCLOMETHICONE, PHENOXYETHANOL, ISOSTEARIC ACID, STEARIC ACID, PEG/PPG-18/18 DIMETHICONE, METHYLPARABEN, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, NIACINAMIDE, SODIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, DIMETHICONE/METHICONE COPOLYMER, SODIUM HYALURONATE,PARFUM (FRAGRANCE) [+/- MAY CONTAIN: CI 77491 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77492 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77499 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), CI 77002 (ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE)].

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Obsessed!

Super blendable, amazing range of colours. On my normal/combination skin is very long lasting, looks beautiful- the finish is natural I would say but medium to full coverage. So easy to work with, so faster to apply than other foundations I've used before eg double wear. Personally I use a buffing brush or a beauty blender- works well with both.

To be honest I'd never go back to double wear or other brands for that matter- this and the rich liquid foundation beats have all my base needs covered and Illamasqua is cruelty free and doesn't clog my pores at all.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This foundation works well for me in heat of the summer and in bitter cold winters too, so they're right when they say it's for all skin types. There are so many shades to choose from, and there should be a shade for all skin tones. It sets to a very natural finish, it's not a flat matte or shiny but just like how your skin would naturally look like.

Shade 8.5 or 9 works well for my nc30 skin. packaging is very compact and travel friendly which is always a plus. It offers really good coverage, you can sheer it out if wanted or can layer it up for that flawless full coverage look. This foundation would work amazingly for weddings and special occasions, because wouldn't give you that white cast as there's no spf.

To Read all 161 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/28/2016 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I tried the Skin Base foundation in 2, the palest colour before white. It was a nice colour match for my N5 skin. I usually prefer foundations that lean yellow to counteract the redness on my complexion but this wasn't too pink so it still looked ok.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't get this foundation to play nicely with my dry skin. I tried gently applying with fingers, a RT Miracle Complexion Sponge and a brush but it just did not work. I think to get a nice finish it would need to be heavily buffed into the skin and my skin is too delicate for this process.

If you have normal or oily skin and are searching for a foundation with a great colour range this may work well for you.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

The one and only foundation I ever use.
I suffered with severe acne up until a year or two ago, I still have severe scarring due to this, and this is my go-to.
The packaging makes it somewhat awkward to squeeze and get the rest out of the tube due to the shape, but it does the trick.
I've met a lot of people who say they can't get on with this product, but I feel it's purely due to a lack of knowledge or skill with blending.
This is not a foundation I apply with a brush or sponge, especially not in thick layers. I use the tips of my fingers and do a light application, rotating, and dabbing to blend. Then, additional layers can be added using the same method, with or without powder.
I work as a professional make-up artist, and of all the professional brands I have tried, this is my favourite.
I also work in a night club, and with some loose powder, this will stay on all night, and even through the next day!
It's also cruelty free, and won't make your skin break out which makes it a winner in comparison to MAC and NARS.

on 3/27/2016 4:38:00 PM

I really don't like the packaging of this as I find it can be hard to get product out of the squeezy tube when there's not much left. The shade range us impressive but you can tell you have makeup on as it does cling to dry patches and to baby hairs.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got the shade SB6 based on their chart which matches SB to other foundations that you currently use. i am an nc25 from mac. So i went to the counter and got the SB6 without trying it on my skin, needless to say that was a big mistake and it was too light for me.

As for the product itself,the foundation looks natural, its not cakey, it has a build-able coverage. but it is quite expensive.

Very thick foundation with a matt finish. So it can be a bit "fake faced" if not applying carefully. Also it covers my skin in the way that I hardly feel my skin can breath.

on 2/19/2016 4:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I am so in love with this foundation. Beautiful finish, buildable, huge colour range, no SPF, which is great if you are using it on photo shoots, I can only recommend it.

on 2/15/2016 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I usual struggle to find foundations that I like, in fact I don't think I've ever been happy with a foundation until now. I have normal to dry skin which is really sensative and red at times (convinced I have rosacea), and I also have freckles. I usually pile on my makeup to try and cover them but since I've bought this I've embraced the freckliness that is my face (finally). This is because the coverage is amazing so I don't need to build much but it still leaves some of my freckles showing through, it's really natural looking and has a gorgeous finish (not too matte and can be dewy with a nice strobe cream underneath). I am not crazy on the price as the bottle is quite small but it seems to be lasting me well so far. It's durable and usually gets me through my 8 hour shift but sometimes needs touching up, I would definitely recommend a primer under as well, my favourite is smashbox. I'd definitely repurchase and 100% recommend! There is literally a shade for every skin tone/type.

on 2/1/2016 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Other

I was never as excited about foundation as when I first bought this product. It was highly recommended by make-up artists both online and offline AND it had a shade that matched my skin color (that almost never happens - a frustration every pale girl with warm undertones will understand) so I was eager to see this praised product work magic on my face.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me at all. At first I thought that maybe it didn't match well with my moisturizer or primer, so I experimented and gave it a few more chances, even using it with Illamasqua's own primer, but it just never looked good on me at all. It didn't last, it actually fell apart after a few hours, becoming cakey and making my face look tired. It made every line and wrinkle more visible, it was like seeing what I'll look like once I'm an old lady. Also, the texture of this foundation is complicated - it's not one of those liquid products that are easy to apply. The only thing that worked for me was the shade - it matched my skin better than anything else I ever used. Other than that, it looked awful.

Bottom line: I urge you to try a sample/use a tester to see how it looks on your face before spending money on it. It's too expensive to buy if you're going to throw it away like I did.