Wella Koleston Perfect

No Image

on 7/15/2018 7:28:00 AM

I have been coloring my hair at home for many years, and I have used many boxed hair dyes from the drugstore (mainly Garnier Nutrisse and L'Oreal Excellence), and also from Sally's (Ion). I found a store by me that sold Wella Koleston Perfect, and figured why not try it, I'd heard good things about it.
And well, the hype is real!

I bought 10.8, a very light pearl blonde, to retouched my roots which are about a level 5-6. I used it with a 30% developer, and I was able to achieve a very light, non-brassy result! Much lighter than I ever got with the dyes I'd been using.

You can tell this product is better quality from the mixing stage - it is much creamier than most, spreads really easily and it expands, once on the hair, for awesome coverage. It's hard to miss spots with this product.

Hair feels in great condition, is shiny and healthy looking.

The only "con" (not really a con!) is that the tube is a bit difficult to squeeze, but oh well. And I had to use the whole tube, usually I can do half/half but this only comes in 2 oz.

Price-wise, funny enough, it is only about $2 more expensive than d/s hair color, so needless to say this will be my go-to hair color going forward.

on 6/15/2016 10:08:00 PM

7 weeks ago, I changed my platinum blonde hair of 23 years to Wella Color Touch 7/43 demi permanent. Today I had to get the roots done because I am naturally dark brown and the demi just wasn't enough. They used the Wella Koleston in the same shade (7/43) on my roots and it is perfection! I cannot speak highly enough of the Wella shades. Will definitely be staying this shade of red thanks to Wella Koleston and Wella Colour Touch.

on 12/6/2015 6:11:00 PM

Koleston Permanent Color manufacture date:

I just found this site, http://checkcosmetic.net, that gives the manufacture dates of Koleston permanent hair dye. I've bought this on the internet & was curious how recently they were manufactured. The Koleston code is stamped on the end flap of the box. It isn't the bar code numbers.

One tube has just expired, being a month older than the desired less than 3 year window for being fresh, but the other 3 I've purchased thus far were manufactured fairly recently in the last 2 years.

This site has manufacture dates for other brands are on this site as well.

The Koleston code is stamped on the end flap of the box underneath the color number. It may take viewing in a strong light to see it. It isn't the number under the bar code on the side of the box.

I have resistant grey hair in some places & the Koleston permanent color 88/ covered it very well in comparison to the Wella 8NN available to the public at Sally. & the added benefit of almost no ammonia smell in comparison. Will be buying again.

on 6/27/2015 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have used Koleston Pefect for a decade and absolutely love it. It gives me beautiful color and soft, shiny hair. I does run a level dark however, so choose your shade with that in mind. I have been many different shades during the time I've used Koleston and each one has been beautiful. I have created my own formulas and have been able to get exactly the shade I was going for. Their are a wide range of shades with a wide range of base colors so it's easy to be creative. There is also a formula for resistant hair, which can be worked into any shade formula. The pigments in Koleston are translucent so they are really shiny, unlike drugstore kits and Sally's garbage, which leave hair matte and flat. Koleston also doesn't change tone and the shine lasts a really long time. I would never consider using anything else. I buy Koleston on Amazon or ebay and have never had a problem with a seller. I have recommended Koleston on MUA at least 100 times and everyone who's tried it has gotten excellent results. So I heartily recommend it for anyone who's considering coloring their hair. If you want salon results, then use Koleston. It's a salon professional brand that gives salon results. I get compliments on my hair color all the time. That tells me that what I'm using is having the desired effect. Koleston is an HG product for me.

on 1/22/2014 5:00:00 AM

People, this is BY FAR the best haircolor in the world. I've dyed my hair black, brown, red, blonde, and paid 150$ at salons and 10$ for box dyes. Garnier, Revlon, L'Oreal, you name it. This is HG. My current hair history: short (Jennifer Lawrence"s pixie cut) previously dyed fire red, bleached and re-colored to a dark ashy blonde, with many many very light blonde highlights (done at a salon) I wanted more highlights and bought the frost and glow kit in platinum, but for some reason it just turned stripped the dark blonde and turned the hair orange. My hair is over processed, to say the least.
I went to this salon supply store called Matt & co here in Montreal for a blue-based toner, but the girl said it would turn my already platinum strands blue-ish. She recommended Wella Koleston in 8-1, which is light ash blonde. Slightly darker, but it would even out the orange and the platinum. She added a 10 vol developer, ratio 1:1, and said: leave it for only 5 minutes, it should be enough.
And that's what I did and OMG my hair is a GORGEOUS beige blonde, with my highlights still showing through, it's amazing, it looks like I've been to the salon. Plus the dye is very creamy, you can tell it's professional quality. It doesn't damage the hair, rinses well, and I just put my Giovanni conditioner after rinsing in the shower and TADAAAA!!! I cannot believe it. It cost me 16$ with taxes and the 3$ developer......This is like 3$ more expensive than Nutrisse or Preference!!!!!! I am sooooo happy!!!!

on 4/8/2013 10:37:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Oh my god. Wella koleston where have you been all my life?! I tend to stick to things from Sally's but being the type of girl who digs things out from the depths of the Internet, I came across the koleston line out of a blog review. I was tempted to try it out but of course with it being available only to professionals I went on eBay and decided on 12/81 aka special blond pearl. I first bleached my growth and then mixed this with 20 developer and a cup of water to dilute the dye as it lifts, and I no longer wanted a lift but just color deposit. After about 15 minutes I washed it off and I was left with the most beautiful shade of ash blonde I had yet seen. Not only that, but the color adds shine to the hair giving it an amazing look that screams out "touch me!" My only eh about it was the price, as I could get two toners from Sally's with the money I wasted on it (20 dollars) but they were well spent. I will definitely keep purchasing this product!

I have had my hair colored with permanent color for almost 30 years due to premature white, see-through hair.

I used to be a hair model (no biggy...just let them work on me at some nice salons) I have really fine hair but lots of it, and a nice face. They loved experimenting with my hair...different styles...colors, and well...I became really spoiled because in my 20's and 30's, I had my hair done for free.

Come my mid thirties and my hair was getting to be over 50% white (inherited)...not a good look., I wasn't getting any younger, and I had a full time job (really full time), and no longer had the time or the inclination to do shows, but I had the money. It wasn't too expensive either in the late 80's and 90's, but today...well the cost for base color is way too much for me. And most of the less expensive salons have done some really awful things with my color...grrrrrr:( In fact...even more expensive salons have at one time or another...well...really messed me up.

I never used the boxed color from the drugstore. I was too used to having professional color put on my hair (Redken, Framesi, professional Clairol, Matrix and Wella). Some of my friends at work used the box color, and while some had really nice results...others...well...not so good, and a lot of times...damaged hair.

One day the lady at Empire Beauty Supply store near said "Why don't you just do it yourself!" She fixed me up with Wella Color charm (gel in the tube), and I began doing it myself, but every once in a while I had it professionally done, and that's when I ran into Wella Kolestin Perfect. I asked the stylist what she used on my hair, and she gave me the colors in Kolestin that she used.

I ordered it online, and it's much easier on my hair than Color Charm. It's very thick (like pudding), so I use brush and bowl. I've mixed 77/0 and 803 to get the most gorgeous natural golden blonde, and recently 77/0 and 88/0 for a more neutral look. I was a medium to dark honey blonde before it went white. I still use my gray magic drops which gives my hair a slightly reddish cast at the roots the first day, but that washes right out.

I leave it on my almost totally white roots for 45 mins...sometimes bringing some of the color to the ends after 35 or mixing the rest with a little shampoo to even the color, AND...my hair looks so good with this stuff. I just can't find anything wrong with it except the price. On sale...it's a little over $10 for a tube, although there's a sight that sells them for $7+. The tubes ARE cumbersome, but it's worth it for good hair color. Kolestin "Intense" color is a double dye. That's why the absolutely perfect coverage when I use at least half in my mix.

And...even at my age...people think my hair is still natural, and it's in excellent shape. I don't have the problem that some of you do with wiry gray hairs. Mine are the same texture (very smooth) as the rest of my hair, but they're resistant merely because there's absolutely NO pigment in the strands.

I must admit that with ANY Wella hair color I've used that I've never had any white hair showing through, and sometimes that happened in the salon with other brands. I really need to color every 3 weeks, and it's a pain, but I look really odd when I don't and hate those crayons, and most times...I just do a root touch up.

You do have to order this online, and I'm getting it from a really nice sight where it comes in a couple of days. Also ordered the developer that went with it, and it's so creamy that the color literally sinks into my roots. I've also gotten much better with the brush and bowl application (used to miss spots)

I MAY try Framesi because I remember that as being the most beautiful stuff, and also...Clairol professional creme from Sally's (in the rich shades) The Clairol colors are so pretty, and I can easily get them from Sallys. I'm sorry for such a long review AGAIN, but hair color is something you really need to get right, and if someone is doing your hair color and you like what they do and they're amenable to it...Get them to tell you exactly what they use so you can do your own base color. That's what I did and it's saved a LOT of $$$$'s.

HTH's