Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50

Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50

5% Zinc Oxide, 6% Titanium Dioxide. Water, Dimethicone, Isododecane, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Undecane, Triethylhexanoin, Isohexadecane, Nylon-12, Capylyl Methicone, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Phencythl Benzoate, Styrene/acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Tridecane, Dicapylyl, Carbonate, Dicapylyl Ether, Talc, Dimethicone/PEG-10-15 Crosspolymer, Aluminum Stearate, Pentylene Glycol, Peg-9 Polydeimthcylsiloxyethnyld Iethicone, Alumina, Polyhyroxystearaic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Magnesium Sulfate, Capylyl Glycol, Iron Oxides, PEG-8 Laurate, Disteradimonium Hectorite, Triethoxycapylylsilane, Tocopherol, Propylenen Carbonate, Artemia Extract, Benzoic Acid, C9-15 Flouroalcohol Phosphate, Peg-9, D46941/2.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my holy grail of sunscreens. I've been using it for years and have gone through many bottles. I've tried a lot of other products but am never tempted to stray. Here is what I love about it:

It's tinted! On lazy days, applying this gives me just enough light coverage to blur imperfections and get away with no makeup.
It's thin. A very lightweight fluid that is very easy to spread around the whole face and absorbs quickly.
It's physical. No chemical blockers in here. I've noticed that chemical sunscreens tend to make my face greasy and dull.
It's SPF 50, which means great coverage and NO sunburn.
It doesn't interfere with makeup. I wait a few minutes after applying to let it set a bit and then proceed with my makeup as usual. I think this actually acts as a primer quite well.
Now, the one downside is that it's by Skinceuticals and that means it's kind of expensive. A 1.7 oz bottle costs $34, but considering that it will last a few months and will help keep wrinkles and melanoma away, I think that's well worth it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

My experience with the Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense is quite similar to LPomona's below. I'd been searching for a sunscreen that wouldn't irritate my late-40s, sensitive, mild rosacean, combo skin, and that I could wear on my eyelids and up to my eyes without stinging. This sunscreen does that. I do have to apply a light lotion (right now, that's Cetaphil moisturizing lotion) on cheeks and dry areas first though, and let that sink in for a bit, before applying this sunscreen on top. Otherwise, it can be a bit drying for me.

I find that this method of application works best for me: Shake the bottle well, measure out 1/4 tsp, put that on my held-tightly-together fingertips of one hand, pat the fingertips of the two hands together to distribute, then pat it all over my face, spread it gently, then pat it in again. (I find that gently patting it in, rather than rubbing, then waiting a few minutes for it to absorb, works well for this sunscreen.) It takes a few minutes to absorb but once it does, it looks lovely and natural -- neither too shiny nor too matte.

When I use the recommended 1/4 tsp for my face, that's enough coverage for me to go without foundation. The coverage is fairly sheer but has a mild blurring effect that tones down the redness on my cheeks. It doesn't cover it completely but I don't need it to. It just makes my skin look very natural but more even-toned. As for the tint, it works really well for my MAC NC23-NC25/MUFE Ultra HD Y245, light-to-light-medium Asian skin with slight yellow and olive undertones.

I assume the PA/PPD (UVA) protection on this isn't the greatest, given that the zinc oxide percentage is only 5%. I wear this as a daily sunscreen on workdays or casual weekend days when I'm not going to be out in the sun much. When I'm going to be outdoors longer, or for workouts, I use a different sunscreen (currently I'm trying out Rotho Skin Aqua Super Moisture Milk).

on 3/3/2018 8:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I just realized that I've never reviewed this gem, though I've been using it happily for years.

My skin is normal, slightly dry, & "mature," and this sunscreen is the most cosmetically elegant formula that I've ever used, by a wide margin. I am NC20, semi-light with yellow undertones. FWIW, the foundations that I prefer are yellow-toned and/or olive-toned. I mention this because this ss is a tinted formula, and it works beautifully with my coloring. That's not to say it wouldn't work just as well with people who have different coloring: I'm just giving you my relevant information.

The tinted formula looks lovely - gives just a bit of a sun-kissed look, but not OTT at all. No one's going to ask me if I've "been away" or anything. I just look healthy & well taken care of. (As a point of comparison, the shade of this formula is significantly lighter than that of La Roche-Posay Anthelios - tinted - Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50. So if LRP tinted mineral formula is too dark for you, I'd highly recommend trying SkinCeuticals.) It's not matte & not super-glowy. On me it gives a real skin finish with just a touch of *natural-looking* glow on the high points of your face.

It's a light formula (watery, actually) & even though I use as much as you're supposed to (1/4 tsp for face), I never feel it on my skin. It is absorbed completely, leaving me with perfectly touchable skin. And . . . (Bonus Ball!) . . . with this sunscreen I don't need, or use, foundation. Borderline unbelievable, but true. My sun spots are almost completely covered, but it's not a "concealer" type of coverage. What I mean is that the slight glowiness of the formula is such that light is reflected away from the spots, so even though they're still *slightly* visible, they're very much blurred. Yay! Also, I pat it on right up to my eyelashes on top & bottom, so the fragile skin around my eyes is fully protected, and there's never any reaction with my eyes. Never. Again, this tinted formula is perfection for me - like I just happen to have lovely skin that needs no makeup. Can you say dream-come-true?

Unlike many mineral sunscreens, this formula does not dry out my normal/semi-dry skin in any way. At the end of the day I take it off easily with Shu cleansing oil and all is well. I've gone through many bottles of this over the years, & it's the only sunscreen I've ever owned that I truly love to use. It should go without saying, but it keeps my skin looking well cared for, though I also make a point of staying out of the mid-day sun.

I hope this helps you in your quest for your perfect sunscreen :D

on 5/7/2017 2:02:00 PM

My skin: mature, reactive/sensitive, acne prone, combination with some dry areas. My face seems happiest with the fewest products possible on it during the day.

I've tried so many facial sunscreens and this is the best of the bunch - have now used it for 2yrs.
Other sunscreens (high end/low end) cause major breakouts or irritation after a few days.
I've had minimal problems with this sunscreen ... but there are issues.
The tint - I find it better than the SkinCeuticals no-tint version which does have a white cast to it in some light. However the color is a bit greyish for the summer months. So I need to use a bronzer on top. There is no scent to this which is great.
Tends to dry my skin and does cause some flakies. So I use a light moisturizer under it some days.
Clogs my pores. So I have to make sure I remove every bit of it each evening ... two pre-cleansings with coconut oil and then a good cleanser. Once or twice a week, I use a glycolic cleanser. And a cleansing mask weekly.
I find that I have to use a fairly thick application if I don't want to tan/color. My skin tans quickly ... and at this age, that means age spots.
But as I said, best of the bunch and as far as facial sunscreens go - it's my holy grail.

on 2/9/2017 12:00:00 PM

This is a runny tinted daily sunscreen, probably a good option for those with normal to oily skin.

Price: I bought this as a sample in an attempt to find a daily use sunscreen. I will not be purchasing a full-size bottle, but I believe its price per ounce is in line with other comparable brands like Elta MD, Drunk Elephant or Shiseido.

Packaging: The samples I got were in tiny tubes, which were not great. The product leaked everywhere, even when the tubes were upright with the lids screwed on.

Product: This is called Universal Tint; I don't know if this claim is true. It has a fluid texture and disappeared into my skin easily enough; I wonder if the drippyness I experienced was due to being unable to fully shake the small sample tubes. I don't recall any scent, which scored points, but after putting this on, my skin felt . . . . tight, somehow? And the mess the samples left all over my counter (several times) didn't make me overly enthused about the idea of purchasing a much larger bottle and possibly experiencing drips every time I had to put this on. I ended up with EltaMD's clear, which has more of a cream texture and much easier to contain in my hand.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is identical to La Roche Posay tinted mineral spf 50. The only difference is Skinceutical one doesn't go with liquid makeup and it's a little more metallic tint. For sunscreen, I will definitely go with traditional big names like LRP. Even though certain gorgeous sunscreen ingredients are still not allowed in US (hard to believe...), LRP and Shiseido are still making more superior sunscreen product. And, I'd rather run to Target to get my LRP than waiting for a week by ordering from Skinceutical website.

on 9/21/2016 1:40:00 PM

A top-notch sunscreen with a nude tint -- I was sold as soon as I hear about this product in a summer issue of Better Homes & Gardens. The tint isn't a replacement for foundation or concealer, but it does act to blur imperfections and not leave a white cast like other sunscreens tend to.

At $34 for a 1.7 ounce squeeze bottle, it's not cheap but it's fairly priced. Dermstore.com always has some coupon code floating around so I bought my first bottle for $27 shipped (it won't be my last).

HG status! Ive been using this for years and absolutely love it. The price is steep, but well worth it. This is the only physical sunscreen I've tried that doesn't leave a horrible white cast. It's very light, moisturizing yet not greasy, dries to a lovely velvety matte finish without feeling overly drying, doesn't emphasize dry patches, and wears well under makeup (doubling as a primer). My only complaint is the price, but the superb quality definitely makes it worth it.

on 7/14/2016 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I have tried several high end and drug store sunscreens. This, by far, is the best for my dry and aging skin. The slight tint allows me to finish off with a little powder if needed. No foundation necessary. It is not drying or irritating to the skin.

Wished it worked for me but it didn't, unfortunately. Had high hopes as it's a non-chemical sunscreen. However, it irritated my skin.