Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50

Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50

5% Zinc Oxide, 6% Titanium Dioxide. Water, Dimethicone, Isododecane, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Undecane, Triethylhexanoin, Isohexadecane, Nylon-12, Capylyl Methicone, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Phencythl Benzoate, Styrene/acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Tridecane, Dicapylyl, Carbonate, Dicapylyl Ether, Talc, Dimethicone/PEG-10-15 Crosspolymer, Aluminum Stearate, Pentylene Glycol, Peg-9 Polydeimthcylsiloxyethnyld Iethicone, Alumina, Polyhyroxystearaic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Magnesium Sulfate, Capylyl Glycol, Iron Oxides, PEG-8 Laurate, Disteradimonium Hectorite, Triethoxycapylylsilane, Tocopherol, Propylenen Carbonate, Artemia Extract, Benzoic Acid, C9-15 Flouroalcohol Phosphate, Peg-9, D46941/2.

on 5/7/2017 2:02:00 PM

My skin: mature, reactive/sensitive, acne prone, combination with some dry areas. My face seems happiest with the fewest products possible on it during the day.

I've tried so many facial sunscreens and this is the best of the bunch - have now used it for 2yrs.
Other sunscreens (high end/low end) cause major breakouts or irritation after a few days.
I've had minimal problems with this sunscreen ... but there are issues.
The tint - I find it better than the SkinCeuticals no-tint version which does have a white cast to it in some light. However the color is a bit greyish for the summer months. So I need to use a bronzer on top. There is no scent to this which is great.
Tends to dry my skin and does cause some flakies. So I use a light moisturizer under it some days.
Clogs my pores. So I have to make sure I remove every bit of it each evening ... two pre-cleansings with coconut oil and then a good cleanser. Once or twice a week, I use a glycolic cleanser. And a cleansing mask weekly.
I find that I have to use a fairly thick application if I don't want to tan/color. My skin tans quickly ... and at this age, that means age spots.
But as I said, best of the bunch and as far as facial sunscreens go - it's my holy grail.

on 2/9/2017 12:00:00 PM

This is a runny tinted daily sunscreen, probably a good option for those with normal to oily skin.

Price: I bought this as a sample in an attempt to find a daily use sunscreen. I will not be purchasing a full-size bottle, but I believe its price per ounce is in line with other comparable brands like Elta MD, Drunk Elephant or Shiseido.

Packaging: The samples I got were in tiny tubes, which were not great. The product leaked everywhere, even when the tubes were upright with the lids screwed on.

Product: This is called Universal Tint; I don't know if this claim is true. It has a fluid texture and disappeared into my skin easily enough; I wonder if the drippyness I experienced was due to being unable to fully shake the small sample tubes. I don't recall any scent, which scored points, but after putting this on, my skin felt . . . . tight, somehow? And the mess the samples left all over my counter (several times) didn't make me overly enthused about the idea of purchasing a much larger bottle and possibly experiencing drips every time I had to put this on. I ended up with EltaMD's clear, which has more of a cream texture and much easier to contain in my hand.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is identical to La Roche Posay tinted mineral spf 50. The only difference is Skinceutical one doesn't go with liquid makeup and it's a little more metallic tint. For sunscreen, I will definitely go with traditional big names like LRP. Even though certain gorgeous sunscreen ingredients are still not allowed in US (hard to believe...), LRP and Shiseido are still making more superior sunscreen product. And, I'd rather run to Target to get my LRP than waiting for a week by ordering from Skinceutical website.

on 9/21/2016 1:40:00 PM

A top-notch sunscreen with a nude tint -- I was sold as soon as I hear about this product in a summer issue of Better Homes & Gardens. The tint isn't a replacement for foundation or concealer, but it does act to blur imperfections and not leave a white cast like other sunscreens tend to.

At $34 for a 1.7 ounce squeeze bottle, it's not cheap but it's fairly priced. Dermstore.com always has some coupon code floating around so I bought my first bottle for $27 shipped (it won't be my last).

HG status! Ive been using this for years and absolutely love it. The price is steep, but well worth it. This is the only physical sunscreen I've tried that doesn't leave a horrible white cast. It's very light, moisturizing yet not greasy, dries to a lovely velvety matte finish without feeling overly drying, doesn't emphasize dry patches, and wears well under makeup (doubling as a primer). My only complaint is the price, but the superb quality definitely makes it worth it.

on 7/14/2016 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I have tried several high end and drug store sunscreens. This, by far, is the best for my dry and aging skin. The slight tint allows me to finish off with a little powder if needed. No foundation necessary. It is not drying or irritating to the skin.

Wished it worked for me but it didn't, unfortunately. Had high hopes as it's a non-chemical sunscreen. However, it irritated my skin.

A great product for women with mature, sensitive skin as there is no need to add foundation!
My husband is a 3 times week golfer and super sensitive due to seborrheic dermatitis and i the slight tint reduces the redness and is non irritating.
We live in South Florida and are exposed to a lot of sun and have tried many brands. This is the best and very liquid to put in the palms of your hands to apply.

We have used this for almost 2 years.
Yes, buy again and again.

on 6/9/2016 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Update Sep 2016:
I'm sad to report that I'm going to rotate this out. Like, really sad. Bc this stuff is good, and so far I hate the feeling and look of the other physical spfs that i have tried.

I'm doing an experiment in my quest to clear my closed comedones on my chin and forehead (which are far worse on my chin... nearly invisible on forehead, but def still there and barely budging...but on my chin, they are the source of 70% of my skin woes in terms of how they look and feel. Ugh.). I realized recently that despite my best efforts with many many many treatments, the CCs on my chin have not gotten any better over the past 2 yrs. They are actually multiplying. They feel way worse than they look. But the feel is bad - big hard lumps on the lower portion of my chin and the sides below the corners of my lips (not the tiny bumps most people have in the crease). It's kind of like a weird U shaped pattern of lumpy CCs. And since this has been one of the few constants in my routine, I can't rule it out. Silicone is #3 on the list of ingredients and while supposedly silicone itself can't clog a pore, from what I've learned, it certainly can trap bad stuff inside (in my case, that's my ridiculously plentiful and sticky sebum). So I'm trying to eliminate silicones to see if it helps.

So far, the evidence points to silicones being a problem. Over the past week, I used only non silicone products. I did not experience any innocuous pimples in that time. The pimples I'm referring to are not the inflamed type. I'm talking about tiny whiteheads with pus that emerge only when something you've put something on your skin that traps something in a pore. If you are as experienced with acne as me, you know what I'm talking about.

Well, after a week of none of those types of pimples, I went back and tried this sunscreen bc, quite frankly, it still kicks butt when it comes to sun protection and cosmetic elegance. I had tried Mychelle solar defense zinc spf and am sad to report I got kind of tan while wearing it, and definitely hated that it felt like a thick mask. So I threw this trusty stuff back on. Lo and behold, when I came home from work, I had a bunch of tiny pimples. Despite wearing an antibacterial topical underneath it. Say it isn't so!!! 😭

I'm going to quit again for a while and try it again later. I stand by my original review in terms of how great this is for protection and light coverage. If you are not as insanely acne prone as me, it might just work for you.

Good luck in your quest for an SPF that fits the bill for you. I'm failing right now. PLEASE message me with any recs you have for physical spf that wears well on sensitive oily highly clog prone skin. Alternatively, if you've found a chemical spf that is kind to mild rosacea and clog prone skin, I'd like to know, as well! Bonus points if it doubles as light tinted coverage...

Original review:
Whaaaat? Did I seriously forget to write a review of this stuff? I give this stuff 800 lippies. This is my holy grail of holy grails. Not only is it an effective sunblock, but it provides enough coverage for me to use it as a "foundation". I use quotation marks because I can't claim this provides enough coverage to hide all your flaws, but it does provide enough of an evening-out-effect for me to wear this and only this. Now that my oily-yet-dehydrated/acne-prone with tons of sun spots and hyperpigmentation skin is aging, I realize that 99.9% of the foundations in this world make my skin look older than it has to (I have yet to find the .01% that provides coverage while not highlighting fine lines and clogging pores). So I just stopped wearing foundation because I prefer a less flawless and more natural look over a fully made up look that just makes my crappy, aging skin more obvious. This does not break me out, it provides a tiny bit of moisture and it keeps the sun out. I've worn it in some pretty intense sun situations and I have never burned. I even wear it hiking. I honestly don't leave the house without it on. It's great because I can look very low key while protecting and evening out my skin. I'm on my 6th bottle of it, which is really saying something for me!

on 6/6/2016 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Forever on the hunt for a good facial sunscreen, I ordered this from Amazon -- I thought having a built-in tint would be nice for quick application and an easy, natural look in the summer. The price is steep, and the bottle is a lot smaller than it appears. You also need to shake it vigorously prior to application, and it is still very runny when it comes out. It looks grayish out of the bottle, but IMO settles into a rather universal shade: it was fine on my NW15 skin. I blend it with my fingers quickly, because it does set pretty fast, and it dries to a velvet-matte finish. Depending on how much is applied, I rate the coverage as light to medium, which is good enough for me. I finish this with light powder to combat any excess shine in my T-zone and then continue with my makeup. To remove it (and my other makeup), I used Pond's towelettes, but a good cream cleanser/balm/oil/micellar water should work well too. Traveling with this product is easy because the lid screws on tight.

I used this pretty happily for about four months until my skin just stopped liking it -- immediately after application, I would feel flushed and my skin would burn a little. I'm not exactly sure what the ingredient my skin is having problems with, because my skin plays nicely with other physical sunscreens (such as PC Hydralight), but the sting/burn has put me off this product. I personally would not repurchase because of the skin reactions, but I still think this is a good product.