Maybelline New York Volum' Express The Falsies Flared

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Maybelline New York Volum' Express The Falsies Flared

2.9

AQUA/WATER, ORYZA SATIVA CERA/RICE BRAN WAX, COPERNICIA CERIFERA CERA/CARNAUBA WAX, POTASSIUM CETYL PHOSPHATE, CERA ALBA/BEESWAX, STYRENE/ACRYLATES/AMMONIUM METHACRYLATE COPOLYMER, CANDELILLA CERA/CANDELILLA WAX, GLYCERIN, SYNTHETIC BEESWAX, ACACIA SENEGAL/ACACIA SENEGAL GUM, CETYL ALCOHOL, SILICA, PANTOTHENOL, PHENETHYL ALCOHOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, POLYETHYLENE, SODIUM LAURETH-12 SULFATE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, PEG/PPG-17/18 DIMETHICONE SIMETHICONE, ARGININE, SERINE, GLUTAMIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE, TRISODIUM EDTA, METHYLPARABEN, 2-OLEAMIDO-1,3-OCTADECANEDIOL, PROPYLPARABEN, RAYON. [ /- MAY CONTAIN: CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499/IRON OXIDES, CI 77007/ULTRAMARINES, CI 77891/TITANIUM DIOXIDE, MICA, CI 77288/CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS, CI 77289/CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN, CI 77742/MANGANESE VIOLET, CI 77510/FERRIC FERROCYANIDE], F.I.L. D46284/2.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

It is really flaky and clumpy. It crumbles off of your lashes not long after you apply it. It really sucks as a mascara haha. I was disappointing as it is kind of expensive to pay for something that you don't like and will never use again. It's not a good mascara, the Maybelline mega plush mascara is soo much better.

on 7/27/2015 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is sooo close to being a HG for me, and I might edit this later if my opinion changes because I'm on the fence about my rating.

I have kind of sparse, downward pointing, average length lashes that refuse to hold a curl most of the time. It doesn't matter if I use waterproof and a lash curler. For some reason, only certain formulas seem to work to get my lashes to curl, with or without being waterproof and using a lash curler.

This mascara does curl my lashes, for the most part, and it adds a bit of length and volume. Mostly, I like it. But, sometimes only one eye will still look curled after a while and this stuff flakes like crazy on my eyes sometimes.

My issues with it don't happen every time I use it, though. Overall, I like this mascara, I have recommended it, and I would probably buy it again if I needed mascara desperately and didn't want to try something new.

I've gotten compliments on my lashes while wearing this, which is rare for me. But the flaking drives me mad when it happens.

Basically...

Pros:
Curls my lashes on its own
Adds volume
Adds a little length (not falsies length, though)
Doesn't make my lashes feel crunchy
Layers well (I've gotten 3 coats to work out if I worked quickly and combed my lashes a little)
Isn't too expensive
Lightweight formula

Cons:
Flakes A LOT (I originally said "sometimes" but after a week of use it was constant)
Starts clumping more the older it gets (I've had mine only two weeks or so and it's bad)
Does not last all day
Doesn't always hold a good curl
Sometimes I get little clumps at the tips
Sometimes it sticks my lashes together weirdly

EDIT: Ok, after using it a bit more, I've knocked it down to one lippie. The flaking issue has gotten worse, so now I have black specks all over my face within an hour of applying this stuff and it gets in my eyes horribly. I wore this the last time for most of a day and by the time I was home and ready to remove my makeup, there was barely any mascara left to remove because it had all flaked off.

I wanted to love this stuff, but I can't anymore. The weird thing is that it isn't even a very dry formula. I mean, it isn't super wet, but it's a nice consistency: not too liquid, not too dry, just how I like my mascaras. But for some reason it won't stay on my lashes.

on 6/29/2015 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have always been a fan of Maybelline mascaras, especially the "volum' express" line, so I thought I'd give this a try. It wasn't pricey at all as I got it at Walmart for $4.96 CDN, so I ended up buying it as well as other mascaras from the same line (because why not?).
So since I am a huge fan of the original Maybelline The Falsies, as I said before, I would try this.
The packaging is around the same as the regular Falsies mascara tube, that same purple colour and shape. Only this has silver accents on the tube and pictures of wings, symbolizing that your lashes will apparently look like fluttery, wing-like masterpieces.
Anyway, the wand has roughly the same style as the regular Falsies mascara, the same spikey, bristles on a curved brush. Except, instead of being a convex AND concave side, there's only a convex side, and the other side is just flat. Like a flat topped spoon, pretty much.
So when it was time to apply mascara after doing my regular makeup routine, I was a bit hesitant. Not only was this different to what I regularly use (the Falsies or The Rocket), but the one I got wasn't waterproof. I normally use waterproof, but since I heard that it ruins your lashes, I stopped. So I had high hopes for this mascara to hold a curl on my normally straight, flat, and downward growing lashes. By the time I started sweeping this on, I have to say, it did a pretty decent job at holding a curl for a non-waterproof version. I was impressed by it. Also, it did an okay job at separating my sparse, thin lashes. That's where the good part ends. With a heavy heart, I say that's probably the best it did on me.
I was expecting so much more. It absolutely did not thicken or add any volume to my lashes and it made them feel crunchy, like I had a bunch of dry grass as my eyelashes. Also, the ends/tips of my lashes were not fluttery, and ended up looking like spider legs with clumpy messes on the ends. No matter how much I brushed through and combed the wand through to try and rid of the clumps, MORE would appear!
So, the pros are that it held the curl and added separation, but he cons are that it clumped up and added no volume.
Overall, I don't think I'll ever buy this again, but I'm glad people out there still like it because Maybelline would not keep selling it otherwise. This product is just not for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

It was a good mascara, nothing bad to say except the occasional flaking...But there are so many mascaras similar or better that I will not repurchase as of now.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is seriously my favourite mascara ever. I've tried a lot of mascara, many many many drugstore brands including most of the L'Oreal, revlon, covergirl and other maybeline ones, makeupforever smokey, benefit they're real and badgal, dior show, and probably more that I can't recall right now! The falsies is probably the last mascara that I've spent my own money on though, and I've repurchased this too many times to count (I found NINE old mascaras in my cupboard the other day because I'm a makeup hoarder hehe). Anyways, this mascara does literally everything that I could hope a mascara should do. I'm obsessed with having big, long black lashes, but they CANNOT be clumpy or spidery looking in the slightest, as this happens so often when people try and get super long lashes. I'm a bit of a makeup perfectionist so if something doesn't look right, it makes me super frustrated and I have to either re-do it or fix it until it's the way I like it. The falsies is the only mascara that I've found that not only gives me the look that I want, but holds the look all day without and flakes or smudges at all. Flakey and smudgy mascara is THE WORST. I think it's also important to note that I spend almost all summer working outside (doing physical labour most of the day, mind you!) and also wear this mascara almost every day and it holds up great. I've also used the waterproof version of this mascara and it's great too, but I hate how hard waterproof mascara is to take off so I avoid it if I can. Anytime I've tried other mascaras in the past few years (free samples or borrowing from a friends) I've been disappointed that it never ever lives up to The Falsies. I've converted quite a few friends to this mascara too. If you've never tried it, at least give it a shot. I always get mine for around $7 which is a good price if you ask me, and I often find it on sale or can get my hands on some maybelline coupons. I will keep rebuying this till the end of time. If they ever discontinued this, I honestly don't know what I would do....

on 10/8/2014 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I tried this mascara because the store I was shopping at didn't have Voluminus Butterfly by Loreal (which is actually my favorite and you can read my review on it) and I actually had to stop using it after about a month. It clumps and flakes TERRIBLY. If I was out in the humidity it started depositing underneath my eyes which is not a good look, especially since I already have dark circle problems. I don't think the bristles on the brush are long enough either. My eyes also felt irritated when I wore it (probably from the flaking). I would not recommend this.

5 stars because it's a great product for the price. Creates lovely fanned out lashes, lasts a long time, love this stuff..

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I just used up my first tube of this mascara so I thought it would be appropriate to review it right about now!
I really liked this mascara, it was perfect for everyday wear. I think what I loved about it most was the brush... I found that using the fat side of the brush on the upper lashes and using the thin side on the bottom lashes works best (at least for me). The formula is not overly wet or dry, it's just a really nice consistency which means theres no trouble with smudging or anything like that when applying. The only thing I didn't really like about this mascara was that it wouldn't hold the curl in my lashes - but that may just be because of my lashes (I might try the waterproof version next time). Apart from that, this mascara is great and I would definitely repurchase it. But, then again, I haven't tried the original Falsies mascara so I might have to give that a go first and compare the two.
Overall, would recommend!

on 4/5/2014 12:30:00 AM

i love this mascara, I've re bought it 3 times. I really love huge almost fake looking eyelashes. it holds the curl after i curl them pretty well and i put on a few layers without much clumping. It does flake a little after a few hours but not much. One of my all time favs.

on 10/26/2013 6:46:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been using this mascara for quite a few months now and it's my favorite yet. I normally don't go crazy over mascaras but, I just adore this one. It makes my lashes look think and long and since I wipe away the excess product I don't have any problems with clumps. I have gotten a few clumps lately, but I believe that is because it is time to but a new tube.