Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies Flared

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies Flared

3.1

on 1/21/2016 7:07:00 PM

Maybelline's first gen The Falsies was the best mascara I used from the drugstore. They keep trying to come out with different "falsies" and this didnt make the cut. The wand is similar to the Mega Plush wand which didn't do much for my lashes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

A not too bad mascara, that dries out quickly. My lashes look nice after using, but it really isn't special. I wouldn't buy it again.

I love the way this mascara looks when I first apply it to my lashes it gives a very nice voluminous soft look but it does actually tend to make my lashes look a bit shorter which is weird

The brush is really good I love the way it has two sides they work really well together

The chink in the armour though is the formula... It's a bit too dry first of all which normally I nearly prefer to really wet formulas but this is super super dry and then of course there's the flaking... It really only lasts about two hours before it starts to really flake and after a while the mascara on the tips of my lashes had completely faded away and this happens every single day

The formula is a huge let down but the brush is really good so I'll definitely use it with a better formula and if I lost the brush I would definitely repurchase it

on 7/27/2015 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is sooo close to being a HG for me, and I might edit this later if my opinion changes because I'm on the fence about my rating.

I have kind of sparse, downward pointing, average length lashes that refuse to hold a curl most of the time. It doesn't matter if I use waterproof and a lash curler. For some reason, only certain formulas seem to work to get my lashes to curl, with or without being waterproof and using a lash curler.

This mascara does curl my lashes, for the most part, and it adds a bit of length and volume. Mostly, I like it. But, sometimes only one eye will still look curled after a while and this stuff flakes like crazy on my eyes sometimes.

My issues with it don't happen every time I use it, though. Overall, I like this mascara, I have recommended it, and I would probably buy it again if I needed mascara desperately and didn't want to try something new.

I've gotten compliments on my lashes while wearing this, which is rare for me. But the flaking drives me mad when it happens.

Basically...

Pros:
Curls my lashes on its own
Adds volume
Adds a little length (not falsies length, though)
Doesn't make my lashes feel crunchy
Layers well (I've gotten 3 coats to work out if I worked quickly and combed my lashes a little)
Isn't too expensive
Lightweight formula

Cons:
Flakes A LOT (I originally said "sometimes" but after a week of use it was constant)
Starts clumping more the older it gets (I've had mine only two weeks or so and it's bad)
Does not last all day
Doesn't always hold a good curl
Sometimes I get little clumps at the tips
Sometimes it sticks my lashes together weirdly

EDIT: Ok, after using it a bit more, I've knocked it down to one lippie. The flaking issue has gotten worse, so now I have black specks all over my face within an hour of applying this stuff and it gets in my eyes horribly. I wore this the last time for most of a day and by the time I was home and ready to remove my makeup, there was barely any mascara left to remove because it had all flaked off.

I wanted to love this stuff, but I can't anymore. The weird thing is that it isn't even a very dry formula. I mean, it isn't super wet, but it's a nice consistency: not too liquid, not too dry, just how I like my mascaras. But for some reason it won't stay on my lashes.

on 6/29/2015 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have always been a fan of Maybelline mascaras, especially the "volum' express" line, so I thought I'd give this a try. It wasn't pricey at all as I got it at Walmart for $4.96 CDN, so I ended up buying it as well as other mascaras from the same line (because why not?).
So since I am a huge fan of the original Maybelline The Falsies, as I said before, I would try this.
The packaging is around the same as the regular Falsies mascara tube, that same purple colour and shape. Only this has silver accents on the tube and pictures of wings, symbolizing that your lashes will apparently look like fluttery, wing-like masterpieces.
Anyway, the wand has roughly the same style as the regular Falsies mascara, the same spikey, bristles on a curved brush. Except, instead of being a convex AND concave side, there's only a convex side, and the other side is just flat. Like a flat topped spoon, pretty much.
So when it was time to apply mascara after doing my regular makeup routine, I was a bit hesitant. Not only was this different to what I regularly use (the Falsies or The Rocket), but the one I got wasn't waterproof. I normally use waterproof, but since I heard that it ruins your lashes, I stopped. So I had high hopes for this mascara to hold a curl on my normally straight, flat, and downward growing lashes. By the time I started sweeping this on, I have to say, it did a pretty decent job at holding a curl for a non-waterproof version. I was impressed by it. Also, it did an okay job at separating my sparse, thin lashes. That's where the good part ends. With a heavy heart, I say that's probably the best it did on me.
I was expecting so much more. It absolutely did not thicken or add any volume to my lashes and it made them feel crunchy, like I had a bunch of dry grass as my eyelashes. Also, the ends/tips of my lashes were not fluttery, and ended up looking like spider legs with clumpy messes on the ends. No matter how much I brushed through and combed the wand through to try and rid of the clumps, MORE would appear!
So, the pros are that it held the curl and added separation, but he cons are that it clumped up and added no volume.
Overall, I don't think I'll ever buy this again, but I'm glad people out there still like it because Maybelline would not keep selling it otherwise. This product is just not for me.

on 5/10/2015 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This product started out good and now I really dislike it. The mascara really irritated my eyes. Although it does give some significance in making your lashes have volume and length, I feel for me it wasn't worth it as I picked it all off by the end of the day.
I would have to put on a few layers for it to do something.

It was sooo clumpy and so flakey and gave my lashes that kind of spider-legish look.
Not good! Wouldn't purchase this maybelline product again.

I would highly recommend using the Eye of Horus mascara, as a more natural but still lengthening and volumizing mascara to use.

on 3/27/2015 10:40:00 AM

I like it far better than I expected from the reviews. No flakes, no clumping, absolutely gives me great volume and curl. Requires a little too much effort to remove and will lose some curl and smudge toward the end of the day, which cost a lippy. I just wish it lengthened too. I haven't used this with a secondary mascara to lengthen yet so I don't know if that will cause clumping, but I need both length and volume so it's not perfect.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

It was a good mascara, nothing bad to say except the occasional flaking...But there are so many mascaras similar or better that I will not repurchase as of now.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is seriously my favourite mascara ever. I've tried a lot of mascara, many many many drugstore brands including most of the L'Oreal, revlon, covergirl and other maybeline ones, makeupforever smokey, benefit they're real and badgal, dior show, and probably more that I can't recall right now! The falsies is probably the last mascara that I've spent my own money on though, and I've repurchased this too many times to count (I found NINE old mascaras in my cupboard the other day because I'm a makeup hoarder hehe). Anyways, this mascara does literally everything that I could hope a mascara should do. I'm obsessed with having big, long black lashes, but they CANNOT be clumpy or spidery looking in the slightest, as this happens so often when people try and get super long lashes. I'm a bit of a makeup perfectionist so if something doesn't look right, it makes me super frustrated and I have to either re-do it or fix it until it's the way I like it. The falsies is the only mascara that I've found that not only gives me the look that I want, but holds the look all day without and flakes or smudges at all. Flakey and smudgy mascara is THE WORST. I think it's also important to note that I spend almost all summer working outside (doing physical labour most of the day, mind you!) and also wear this mascara almost every day and it holds up great. I've also used the waterproof version of this mascara and it's great too, but I hate how hard waterproof mascara is to take off so I avoid it if I can. Anytime I've tried other mascaras in the past few years (free samples or borrowing from a friends) I've been disappointed that it never ever lives up to The Falsies. I've converted quite a few friends to this mascara too. If you've never tried it, at least give it a shot. I always get mine for around $7 which is a good price if you ask me, and I often find it on sale or can get my hands on some maybelline coupons. I will keep rebuying this till the end of time. If they ever discontinued this, I honestly don't know what I would do....

on 7/20/2014 4:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I was so excited to try this mascara out since I've been on a hunt for a new mascara but I'm sad to say that I wouldn't repurchase. Reasons why is because although it gives me insane amount of length and really dark lashes it flakes like crazy more than the loreal voluminous butterfly mascara and it also gives you very spidery lashes. Oh and also I honestly don't see how the brush helps with the fanned out look it never gave me the "flared" look. Although it has cons some of the pros is the black is really black and from far your lashes do kinda look like falsies :).But I'm definitely sticking to the butterfly mascara for now since it actually fans out my lashes and lives up to it's claims :)