Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set
Brush Collection - Eyes Starter SetBrush Collection - Eyes Starter SetBrush Collection - Eyes Starter SetBrush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

4.3

Synthetic Taklon

on 2/3/2017 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

i am generally satisfied with my purchase of these brushes, but they are not exactly what i was expecting.

the angled brow brush is enormous. i actually think it's not the most unwieldy thing in the world, and it does make for quicker application with a pomade or gel, but the thickness is still just kind of absurd. hard to taper the ends of your brows with so if you're like me and like a thinner tail, you probably won't prefer this, but if you like big full instagram brows or you just need something to fill in sparse spots, you might enjoy it. for reference i like filling my brows in with something like elf's angled eyeliner brush - MUCH smaller, and a little more tedious to work with, but i get more precise application. that all being said, i don't entirely hate the brow brush in this set, and do appreciate the time it saves me.
edit 2.9.17: i really like this brush after getting used to it some more. the massive size is a huge time saver, and although i still like to take a smaller brush with some darker brow product into some of the sparser parts of my brows, i dont think that this brush can be faulted for my natural patchy growth. this is a great brush!

i haven't used the liner brush and when purchasing the set knew that it wasn't something i was likely going to reach for often. i have a second elf angled eyeliner brush to apply my gel liner with that i love for that purpose, so i wasn't looking to replace it. however, i can definitely see myself using the RT liner brush to dip into wet eyeshadow and line my eyes that way - i think it would work well for that purpose. i can't see it being precise enough to use with gel, though.

the small smudge brush doesn't really excite me either to be honest. i might use it to clean up my brows or apply concealer to blemishes, and i'm glad to have it because it is nice to have something for precision work, but i just haven't figured out yet what i want to do with it. maybe it could work as a lip brush even?

the large flat eyeshadow brush is just a joke honestly. i don't know how you could possibly pack color on with that thing. i prefer to use mine to blend my crease as it's large and soft and i like a very diffused application of color on my crease. if you're looking for a budget eyeshadow brush, i like the large one from wet n wild. the bristles are a bit shorter and denser so you can really pick up color and put it where you want it to be.

editing my review for the blending brush as well - i think you can totally get a big blown out effect with this brush, and you can also do some more precise blending with it as well. it's quite soft, and i appreciate the stiffness of it (it's not so soft that it has no power to move your colors around, but it's also not so stiff that it's painful to use). this is a really nice brush that i feel like can be adapted to many users' makeup application styles. and with this, i'm amending my original rating to four stars.

the problem with this set is that it doesn't allow for a lot of precision for the most part, but it does feature a variety of brushes that you can pretty easily figure out how to work into your routine. i think the liner brush and small smudger are probably not necessary for everyone and it would be nice if these could be purchased individually but overall, i find that i can use all of these and i don't think they were a complete and utter waste of $10.

on 8/23/2016 8:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this little set at Kohl's and have utilized them all for different purposes. I find them a great deal for the price. I do not find them scratchy either. I suppose that is a relative thing. They really are decent and well made brushes.

1. Especially I like the larger Shadow brush for laying down base shadow all over. I use this daily.

2. The larger Crease brush I use to blend out eyeshadow above the crease and sometimes as a buffing brush for my concealer.

3. The Liner brush I use when I don't necessarily need a fine line for my lid or under eye.

4. The Accent brush is great for getting in small places like the inside corners of the eyes and at times on the lid.

5. The angled brush is useful for making finer lines and I also use it for my brows when my other angled brow brush is drying.

I would say I would recommend these for those who are starting a brush collection or for those on a budget. They have been very durable. I have not had any shedding from them yet and I have had my set for over three years. I use at least one of them daily.

Just wanted a good basic set because I'm not an eye makeup person but this turned out to be incredibly horrible. The bristles are tough and pokey in my eyes. The brow brush is way too bushy to apply brow gel well and the eye liner brush is really laughable for a fine line. Overall quite disappointed with the experience. And man! They're expensive in Singapore.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I only use two out of three brushes, since the eyeliner brush is WAY too thick and chunky and the eyebrow brush as well. One of the other brushes has been loosing bristles. Not worth the money.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've had this brush set for a couple of months now, and I'm really liking the quality. I have to admit I only use 3 out of 5 - the deluxe crease brush, the base shadow brush and the accent brush. The two others - the fine liner brush and the brow brush - I see pretty much no point in, as they feel too stiff/ for their original purpose. But hey that's just my experience.

I don't use the panoramic case in ways that it is recommended, I just keep the brushes there when I dont use them. Still it is quite handy for when traveling, so thumbs up right there!

Overall pros:
- applies smoothly
- blends really well
- no shedding or breaking
- easy to clean, dries quickly without drying out the hairs
- pretty design
- OK for beginners

Overall cons:
- the fine liner bristles are not dense enough
- a single brush cannot be purchased alone

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got these for my bday & I'm loving them!! I've been on a RT brush kick--I have 6 RT face brushes (blush/powder/folding bronzer/folding kabuki/2 stipple brushes), now these & I find them to be high quality & I love the stand they come with, that was a nice bonus. The eyeliner brush is really gr8, I used that today w MAC Dipdown Fluidline gel liner & it turned out perf! It's very similar to the MAC pointy eyeliner brush I got w the MAC Dipdown holidays 2015 set. I'm slowly collecting some better brushes (not necessarily $$$ but just good quality DS brushes eg RT, ELF studio black handle brushes, the new wnw vegan brushes I own others a couple HE & the rest are Coastal Scents or ELF white handle, Sonia Kashuk a couple Eco tools I've kind of got a menagerie of low end brushes from various DS exploits). The slant brush is perf for brows, the other brushes are excellent too I don't know the technical names for them lol. Brushes aren't my area of expertise! But to my untrained self these are excellent I'm no beginner but these are useful no matter where u r in ur MU knowledge. Practice makes perfect!! :-)

on 2/9/2016 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a mixed bunch, ranging from "I love it" to "meh" to just "nah".

First of all, the eyeliner brush I haven't used much, simply because I haven't had a gel liner to apply with it. I have my doubts though about how it'll perform, as it feels strangely soft and has long bristles. I'm used to applying gel/cream eyeliner with short and dense brushes. I've found a different use for this though, which is to apply castor oil to my upper lash line/directly onto my lashes at night.

The brow brush is alright. It's thicker than any other brow brush I own, which makes for quicker applying. I find that its denseness helps in taming your brows a bit, at least when using it with Anastasia's dip brow pomade. When I have the opportunity to take my time with my makeup I go for a thinner brush, to get a little bit more control over the shape of my brows, but this works for everyday use.

The accent brush is just perfect for the small details. I most often use it to add a highlighting shadow to the inner corner of my eyes. Since it's so tiny you get the shadow exactly where you want it right away. That means I can practically just dot it on, and then go over with a blending brush to blend it out a little bit.

The base shadow brush would be the "meh" part of the collection, at least for its intended purpose. There's nothing monumentally wrong with it, I just find that I have better (and coincidentally also cheaper) ones. I think the bristles are a little too long. The softness of the brush is lovely, but combined with the length of the bristles I find it hard to really "pack on" the eyeshadow. I much prefer a denser eyeshadow brush. Especially since I think those result in less fallout. When playing around with it though, I've found that I like to blend my crease with it, so it definitely comes in handy for that.

The one brush I can't get along with is the crease brush. It's just way, way too big. This one is dense for sure, but it's also just so ridiculously big. I may not have the most eyelid to work with, but I don't know how big eyes/how much eyelid space you would need to have for this to be an accurate size. If I use this brush I won't be adding a crease shadow, but rather a shadow over the crease, up towards the brow bone and half way down to the lash line. You lose all precision and mess up the work you've done so far. Works well as a concealer brush, though. I use it under my eyes (which I've actually seen the pixiewoo girls to as well).

So, why the 4? Reading what I've said so far makes me feel like I've not raved about this collection nearly enough to warrant a 4/5 rating. Here's why: this is a brush set that in theory includes everything you need for your eyes, and every brush is of great quality. I'm pretty damn thorough with cleaning my brushes, and after months of use I still haven't seen them shed a single bristle. So even if all of them didn't work wonderfully for me, this is a solid purchase to me. And you can find new ways to use most of them, if you don't stare yourself blind on the way they're "supposed" to be used - I know I did initially.

on 1/23/2016 4:10:00 PM

I've had this set since 2012. The brushes have held up well & are good quality w/ no shedding. I love the travel case, it's really nice for drying brushes after you wash them. I did end up swapping out the fine liner brush for the pixel point (?) liner early on, but I think they've done away w/ the two liner styles & just adopted the pixel point as the fine liner style. At least I hope so, anyway. I also don't ever touch the brow brush, it's way too large for my brows. The case & other 3 brushes were still well worth the price of admission. I kept thinking for the last two years that I'd like to have a second set on hand, so I finally got another one ordered when IHerb generously credited my account w/$7.68 during the launch of their Loyalty Credit program. Overall, the Deluxe Crease, Base Shadow, Accent brush, & case are an excellent value. The brushes are good quality & I repurchased not out of necessity, but because I wanted a set to alternate when I'm lazy about washing or doing a friend's makeup. To get $5 off your 1st order, plus 5% off & free shipping to the US w/purchases of $20 or more follow this link: http://www.iherb.com/real-techniques-by-samantha-chapman#p=1?rcode=reb607

I purchased these brushes in the January sales in superdrug for £13.99 which I think is a good deal considering they are usually £20.99. I was looking at getting these brushes for a while but wasn't to sure because of the price but now that i have tried them i would definitely have paid £20.99 for them.The brush set comes with 5 brushes and a travel case/stand. The case is really good to store your brushes in to keep them protected whilst travelling but i don't really use as a case i just keep them in a brush pot.The first brush in the set is the base shadow brush.I like to use this brush for base shadow as the name would suggest this brush is really soft and slightly domed so it is easier for application.The next brush in the set is the deluxe crease brush. I like to use this brush to buff in eyeshadow or blend out eyeshadow. It is a domed shape which i think makes it easier to buff in eyeshadow and the bristles are very soft.The next brush is the brow brush. I use this brush for filling in my brows it is an angled flat brush, the bristles are dense but soft because this brush is angled it makes it easier to fill in your brows.The next brush is the accent brush.
I use this brush for applying darker eyeshadows to the outer v and crease this brush is very small and dense the bristles are also very soft.The last brush and probably the most disappointing brush in the set is the fine liner brush. For me this brush does not really have a use i have tried to use this brush for liner but found it does not work very well because the bristles are not dense enough maybe i will find i use for this brush but for now it is my least favourite of all the brushes. I would definitely recommend these brushes to any one because they have pretty much all the basic brushes you need for creating good eyeshadow looks

on 9/22/2015 2:25:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

the only two brushes I use from this set is the crease and brow brush, the others honestly don't know how to use it. they are stiff and thin for a accent and/or for blending.

I would very much like to purchase another crease brush for my traveling bag, just realised that this cannot be purchase alone, so if I want this one I would have to purchase the whole set again.

My complaint is what is with this kind of marketing, so customers was made to pay for something they have no use of, it is also not environmentally friendly to have to keep throwing away products.

I won't be buying this product again simply for the cost that I can only use 2 products out of 5.

Popular Makeup Brushes