Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set
Brush Collection - Eyes Starter SetBrush Collection - Eyes Starter SetBrush Collection - Eyes Starter SetBrush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

4.3

Synthetic Taklon

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have some Sigma, Paula's Choice, Lancome, IT brushes and Bobbi Brown and felt like I needed some targeted eyeshadow brushes. My last buy for eyeshadow brushes were from PC and these are so much softer and plush. I am going to throw the PC brushes away. The Sigma brushes seem too large, and the Lancome are just one size, floppy and not that useable. These suit my need and are quality for the price. I already bought more Real Technique brushes based on the quality of these.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

My actual rating is 3.5, but I am bumping it up to four because these brushes are incredibly affordable for a set of five and they are also cruelty free. Here are my thoughts on the individual brushes:

-Deluxe Crease Brush: this one is round and domed and not nearly as long as a lot of crease/blending brushes that you see on the market. It is soft yet also dense, so it is effective at blending out shadow. Since I have hooded eyes I can't really apply and blend the crease color with this one, but if I use a different brush to put it on and then blend with this one it works nicely. 4/5

-Base Shadow Brush: I don't love this one for dry shadows, but it is nice with creams or with wet shadows. The pointed, tapered end lets you get all the way into the inner corner of the eye effectively. Because it is relatively flat, it is good for patting on wet or cream shades, but I find that it doesn't really hold onto dry powders very well (possibly due to the softness of the bristles.) 3.5/5

-Accent Brush: This is by far the best brush in the kit, and honestly I'd pay $17 for it by itself. It is small and precise, and it is great for shadow on the lower lash line. I also like to use this one to pat dry powder shadow on top of pencil liner to set or emphasize it. 5/5

-Fine Liner Brush: I find it to be too thick and chunky to be "fine." It works well enough to line the eyes, but it isn't nearly as precise as I would want it to be. The bristles are in a more cylindrical formation and not tapered/pointed on the ends like most liner brushes are. For me, it really does not work well with cream or gel liners, but for some reason I do like it with shadow that has been dampened for use as a liner. 3/5

-Brow Brush: again, too thick. The other brushes in this kit are so thoughtfully designed, as are RT brushes in general, but this one just stumps me because it is so gigantic. It is impossible to get any kind of hair-like strokes out of it because it is so thick. Unless you want gigantc eyebrows, this one is probably not going to be your go-to.

-the case: I think I threw this away years ago. It is neat in concept, but I found it to be really impractical for me.

on 2/3/2017 11:36:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

i am generally satisfied with my purchase of these brushes, but they are not exactly what i was expecting.

the brow brush is nice. very big, so it makes product application pretty quick! but i prefer a more tapered brow tail. i didn't realize how big the brow brush would be as i ordered these online. i would not purchase a brow brush like this individually if given the opportunity, it's far too large for my liking. but if you have a much larger space to fill with product, you'll probably love this brush. it is well-made, just not my personal favorite.

the liner brush is very stiff and seems to be a good size, however i prefer a smaller, more angled brush to apply eyeliner. sometimes i use this brush to line my lips precisely with a lipstick before filling everything in. but for my eyes, i don't get much use out of it.

the small smudge brush doesn't really excite me either to be honest. it's incredibly small and so stiff as to be uncomfortable...the only purpose i can see this brush serving is to do some very targeted brow or liner cleanup. but for smudging, it hurts to use! i don't like it to smudge my eye makeup.

i also consider the large eyeshadow brush to be bit of a waste of money. i don't know how you could possibly pack color on with it, the bristles are so long and flexible. i prefer to use mine to further diffuse the edges of eyeshadows as it's large and soft and i like a very diffused application of color on my crease. if you're looking for a budget eyeshadow brush, i like the large one from wet n wild. the bristles are a bit shorter and denser so you can really pick up color and put it where you want it to be.

the blending brush is the only one i'm really happy to have purchased. it's quite soft, and i appreciate the stiffness of it (it's not so soft that it has no power to move your colors around, but it's also not so stiff that it's painful to use). this is a really nice brush that i feel like can be adapted to many users' makeup application styles.

the problem with this set is that it doesn't allow for a lot of precision for the most part, but it does feature a variety of brushes that you can pretty easily figure out how to work into your routine. what i've discovered with this kit is that even though you can definitely find a use for each and every brush, you really just have to ask yourself - do i NEED a new brush to be able to achieve that? to be honest, i wish i hadn't spent the money on this set as even though the blending brush is nice, all the other brushes just take up space in my collection. i can find uses for them, but i could do all the things before with my old brushes that i'm able to do now with these. i don't need a dedicated inner corner highlight brush, and i didn't need another lip brush, especially one that can't fill in my entire lip.

real techniques makes some dope brushes, but i'd say you can skip this set, especially if you already have a few eye brushes of your own.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

It's an okay starter set

on 8/23/2016 8:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this little set at Kohl's and have utilized them all for different purposes. I find them a great deal for the price. I do not find them scratchy either. I suppose that is a relative thing. They really are decent and well made brushes.

1. Especially I like the larger Shadow brush for laying down base shadow all over. I use this daily.

2. The larger Crease brush I use to blend out eyeshadow above the crease and sometimes as a buffing brush for my concealer.

3. The Liner brush I use when I don't necessarily need a fine line for my lid or under eye.

4. The Accent brush is great for getting in small places like the inside corners of the eyes and at times on the lid.

5. The angled brush is useful for making finer lines and I also use it for my brows when my other angled brow brush is drying.

I would say I would recommend these for those who are starting a brush collection or for those on a budget. They have been very durable. I have not had any shedding from them yet and I have had my set for over three years. I use at least one of them daily.

Recently repurchased this as my old set has seen better days, I love real techniques they are affordable and imo good quality, not loving the white case this updated kit comes with but that's not as issue as I don't use the stand/case anyway

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got these for my bday & I'm loving them!! I've been on a RT brush kick--I have 6 RT face brushes (blush/powder/folding bronzer/folding kabuki/2 stipple brushes), now these & I find them to be high quality & I love the stand they come with, that was a nice bonus. The eyeliner brush is really gr8, I used that today w MAC Dipdown Fluidline gel liner & it turned out perf! It's very similar to the MAC pointy eyeliner brush I got w the MAC Dipdown holidays 2015 set. I'm slowly collecting some better brushes (not necessarily $$$ but just good quality DS brushes eg RT, ELF studio black handle brushes, the new wnw vegan brushes I own others a couple HE & the rest are Coastal Scents or ELF white handle, Sonia Kashuk a couple Eco tools I've kind of got a menagerie of low end brushes from various DS exploits). The slant brush is perf for brows, the other brushes are excellent too I don't know the technical names for them lol. Brushes aren't my area of expertise! But to my untrained self these are excellent I'm no beginner but these are useful no matter where u r in ur MU knowledge. Practice makes perfect!! :-)

Just wanted a good basic set because I'm not an eye makeup person but this turned out to be incredibly horrible. The bristles are tough and pokey in my eyes. The brow brush is way too bushy to apply brow gel well and the eye liner brush is really laughable for a fine line. Overall quite disappointed with the experience. And man! They're expensive in Singapore.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've had this brush set for a couple of months now, and I'm really liking the quality. I have to admit I only use 3 out of 5 - the deluxe crease brush, the base shadow brush and the accent brush. The two others - the fine liner brush and the brow brush - I see pretty much no point in, as they feel too stiff/ for their original purpose. But hey that's just my experience.

I don't use the panoramic case in ways that it is recommended, I just keep the brushes there when I dont use them. Still it is quite handy for when traveling, so thumbs up right there!

Overall pros:
- applies smoothly
- blends really well
- no shedding or breaking
- easy to clean, dries quickly without drying out the hairs
- pretty design
- OK for beginners

Overall cons:
- the fine liner bristles are not dense enough
- a single brush cannot be purchased alone

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I only use two out of three brushes, since the eyeliner brush is WAY too thick and chunky and the eyebrow brush as well. One of the other brushes has been loosing bristles. Not worth the money.

Popular Makeup Brushes