e.l.f. Cosmetics Essential Little Black Beauty Book

Essential Little Black Beauty BookEssential Little Black Beauty Book

3.2

on 11/13/2013 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I purchased the "night" version in hopes it would be good for travelling, but even over a primer there is barely any pigmentation to any given color in this palette. It would make a nice stocking stuffer for a young girl who is just starting out with makeup, but for those who are already skilled it's not worth it by any means.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This palette is good for beginners trying to experiment on makeup. Some colors are a hit and miss, being more or less pigmented, it does last all day with my primer that was also E.L.F. The package is small and very cute. I just wish some of the colors were more pigmented...

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This palette is the first eyeshadow palette I purchased back when I was still learning to put on makeup, because it's cheap and promises a wide range of neutral color - I thought it'd be a great choice to start.
It's good to find out that the palette comes in small, soft, magnet-clasped plastic packaging that looks like a small notebook - very cute. It contains many neutral colors with shimmers, and several mattes. The first thing I noticed after I tried them on was how powdery they were, it's sometimes prone to fallout. It gets messy in the pan, as well. The color payoff varies across the pan. I'm satisfied with the intensity of the darker colors (especially the mattes), but the shimmery ones are sometimes troublesome. I tried to prime my lids before putting them on, and primer does help to keep them in there.
Definitely not the best palette out there, but it's worth the price particularly when you're just started.

on 12/23/2015 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

The warm version of this (along with an eye shadow and smudge brush that was included in the box as part of the holiday set) was given to me as a birthday/early Christmas gift from one of my friends who knew I liked many of e.l.f.'s products as well as preferring neutral palettes.

My first impression of this is that the packaging was quite tiny-- about the size of your hand. It closes with a magnet encased within the edges of the "book". And while its size is very travel friendly, I feel like the its design could have included for more shadows if it weren't for the cheap plastic applicator taped at the bottom. As for the size of the pans themselves, I can agree with some other reviewers that it was a bit smaller than what I initially expected, but getting product using the brushes included, ended up just fine.

The colors themselves are very similar to each other from the naked eye, and honestly, it would have been better to review each shade on different individuals to see which ones weren't needed in order to have space for a proper brush (even if it was dual ended and tiny) than a cheap plastic applicator or bigger pans.

I can't say I swatched every eye shadow in the palette, but from what shades I did without a primer, the pigmentation of many of the satin-like shadows ranged from alright to very opaque and beautiful. The textures of the shadows weren't too stiff but some of the shades can be described as slightly chalky, like with a few of the mattes, or have had too much fallout while swatching some of the satin/shimmery shades.

The nicest swatches with the satin finish were the medium~darkest shades. The mattes in this particular palette, overall, had some of the weakest pigmentation and took awhile to build up nicely. This was even worse with the lightest shades, which didn't show up on my skin until I picked up tons of product on the brush and put it directly on my skin. And while it seems like I was exaggerating, it isn't exactly far from the truth in the case with some of the eye shadows.

So who benefits most from this palette? Absolute beginners who want to experiment with various shades and finishes.

I recently bought this at my local marshalls for 5 dollars in the cool edition because I just couldn't resist such a good deal. This little beauty book is adorable!

I am so surprised with the quality of this palette! Although the eyeshadows feel a little chalky (especially the shimmers or the sparkly ones), they are all pretty long lasting and have great color payoff. The colors are so fun! I never knew how much I would like fun colors until I tried them out. There are so many colors (48) and this is such a great buy for anyone!

I would happily buy different versions!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This cute little palette comes in two color families, Warm or Cool. Each has 28 eyeshadows and 20 lippies. The Cool has a range of purples/silvers/greys/pinks/blues/greens with pinks and reds in lippies. The Warm has a range of bronzes/golds/beige/taupes/peaches and a few greens with deeper colors in the lip range, including some bronzey shades. They come in an approximately 4x5" soft plastic book-type case, which sort of snaps together. There is no separator between the l/s and e/s, unfortunately. There is a small mirror next to the l/s. I found mine at Big Lots for $4.50 USD, which is ridiculously inexpensive. I expected to get what I paid for and figured that I would be giving these to my nieces for playing dress-up, but you know what? It's surprisingly nice quality. There are some shades that are sheer, but many have very nice pigmentation and blendability. They last all day without fading or creasing, and the only thing I use as a base is a bit of foundation. Some of the shades have a lovely pearly quality without any over the top glitter' there are also matte and a few that have sparkle. The brush that comes with the kit is a total toss-away. There is some fallout to some of the shades. But overall, I was pleasantly surprised and would purchase these again. Are they MAC or Dior? No. But they are surely the same quality as Almay, L'Oreal, etc. It's fun to play a little!