e.l.f. Cosmetics Essential Little Black Beauty Book

Essential Little Black Beauty BookEssential Little Black Beauty Book

3.8

on 3/13/2016 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This palette is very versatile with a wide range of finishes. There is anything from matte to metallic to straight up shimmer. I have a hard time deciphering what is considered a satin finish so the only thing I’ll say that I know for sure is that there are five true mattes.

There is a little bit of fallout, but nothing that can’t be solved by tapping the excess off of your brush or applicator. In terms of the texture of these shadows, it can be hit of miss. Some feel buttery, while others (mostly the shimmery ones with glitter) feel chunky. Since this is the warm edition of this palette, there are not many bright shades. The only bright shade is a turquoise blue with tiny gold shimmer. Pigmentation is just as hit or miss as the texture. Some are very sheer while others are very pigmented. The lighter shades can tend to get patchy.

They are long lasting as long as you use a primer under them, otherwise they tend to crease on the lid. These are also very blend-able and build-able. They can also be used wet (With any setting spray or eye drops). As a whole I would say that these are not bad for their $8.00 price tag and as of right now they are still available on the E.l.f. website. (Eyeslipsface.com)

Pros: slim and compact, good color payoff, good color selection.
Cons: Fallout, some shades are patchy, some are rough and chunky.
All in all I gives this product a 3 out of 5.
For more reviews from see go to http://tiffini42112.tumblr.com/

on 12/23/2015 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

The warm version of this (along with an eye shadow and smudge brush that was included in the box as part of the holiday set) was given to me as a birthday/early Christmas gift from one of my friends who knew I liked many of e.l.f.'s products as well as preferring neutral palettes.

My first impression of this is that the packaging was quite tiny-- about the size of your hand. It closes with a magnet encased within the edges of the "book". And while its size is very travel friendly, I feel like the its design could have included for more shadows if it weren't for the cheap plastic applicator taped at the bottom. As for the size of the pans themselves, I can agree with some other reviewers that it was a bit smaller than what I initially expected, but getting product using the brushes included, ended up just fine.

The colors themselves are very similar to each other from the naked eye, and honestly, it would have been better to review each shade on different individuals to see which ones weren't needed in order to have space for a proper brush (even if it was dual ended and tiny) than a cheap plastic applicator or bigger pans.

I can't say I swatched every eye shadow in the palette, but from what shades I did without a primer, the pigmentation of many of the satin-like shadows ranged from alright to very opaque and beautiful. The textures of the shadows weren't too stiff but some of the shades can be described as slightly chalky, like with a few of the mattes, or have had too much fallout while swatching some of the satin/shimmery shades.

The nicest swatches with the satin finish were the medium~darkest shades. The mattes in this particular palette, overall, had some of the weakest pigmentation and took awhile to build up nicely. This was even worse with the lightest shades, which didn't show up on my skin until I picked up tons of product on the brush and put it directly on my skin. And while it seems like I was exaggerating, it isn't exactly far from the truth in the case with some of the eye shadows.

So who benefits most from this palette? Absolute beginners who want to experiment with various shades and finishes.

In this case, you get what you pay for. I wasn't super impressed with this palette. The colors look so beautiful lined up together, and I can't get over how pretty the shimmers are, but the pigmintaion wasn't that great. I naturally have very oily lids and this eyeshadow creased right when I put it on. I would recommend using a eyeshadow primer before hand. I will still probably get good use this out of this palette. I believe you still could find better for the price.

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This review is for the DAY Palette, #91601 (pictured above) OMG I love this little thing! I bought this online to keep at my SO's house for a broad selection of looks, because the package - a sturdy little black plastic book - is adorable and the shades look like my favorites: Neutrals, warm earthy shades and pink/bronze/plums. It's so beautiful! There's a nice mix of finishes, a really nice matte light/medium flesh tone for blending, a couple shades for my brows, and all are pigmented and smooth. If these shades appeal to you, snag this!!!

I love all of E.L.F.'s products, so naturally I wasn't surprised at myself for immediately buying this from Target for $5. The price is GREAT for the number of eyeshadows you get (48). The only thing that concerned me with this palette was that a few of the eyeshadows weren't very pigmented at all. Other than that, I loved it! Definitely a great palette for beginners.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

A friend at work recommended this palette for creating everyday looks and I managed to snag both the cool and warm palettes at Winners for about $6.
I like both palettes but I'll probably use the warm one more. (Asian NC30 and I suit warm tones better)

The shadows do have some shimmer but nothing outrageous and definitely subtle to wear everyday.
The pigment is okay (I need to layer the colour a bit for it to show) but lasts for most of the day.

I use my own makeup brushes and not the little sponge applicator that comes with the palette.

A real gem from E.L.F.!

I have the palette that contains more brown tones than colors. (I've long since thrown the packaging away.)

I love the colors. I've been practicing with neutral tones, and this is the best neutral palette I can find right now. A lot of selection to choose from, which is nice, and I don't have to pay lots and lots of money for shadows I might not be happy with.

I would recommend this for the dirt cheap price. I see a lot of staying power, depending on the primer you use and the shades you use. Since I use neutral colors, I don't see the fade. I might see the fade if I used bright, bright colors, but I don't.

I also use it with UD primer potion, and that helps tremendously.

The only thing I don't like about it is the way that the applicator is stored inside. I wish there was something to hold it in place; it just sits there. Every time I open it, the stupid thing falls out. I only keep it in case I want to touch up my makeup while I'm out. I use brushes to apply the makeup in the first place. I just think they could have made it so you could snap the applicator in place.

In any case, I would recommend giving it a try. If you don't like it, you're only out about $5.

on 8/14/2011 12:21:00 PM

I have this in the "cool" tones. Love it so much already bought a back up. Only thing i dont like is, the eyeshadows tend to dust onto the lip colors because there is no divider. I took a bounty tissue folded in in half and shut it in there and keep it closed w/ a hair elastic. That works good.