e.l.f. Essential Little Black Beauty Book

3.7

on 12/9/2013 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I love this palette. I got this for $2 probably at Target. I don't wear frosted or shimmery eye shadows but there are plenty of matte colors. I find myself reaching for this palette almost every day. I use it for both my brows and my eye shadow. I agree that the eye shadows are not huge but I have no trouble using an eye shadow brush to get the exact amount I need and want.

My mom taught me growing up that you get what you pay for but that is not always true for cosmetics. This was the best beauty value purchase for me in 2013. I would not hesitate buying this again, though seriously I think it would take me at least 2-3 years to use up just the matte colors that I love.

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This review is for the DAY Palette, #91601 (pictured above) OMG I love this little thing! I bought this online to keep at my SO's house for a broad selection of looks, because the package - a sturdy little black plastic book - is adorable and the shades look like my favorites: Neutrals, warm earthy shades and pink/bronze/plums. It's so beautiful! There's a nice mix of finishes, a really nice matte light/medium flesh tone for blending, a couple shades for my brows, and all are pigmented and smooth. If these shades appeal to you, snag this!!!

on 3/19/2013 2:13:00 AM

I purchased this in Warm ages ago in an elf haul. I love this little book! All of the colors are wearable and most of them are nicely pigmented, ESPECIALLY for the price you pay! $5 for all of these colors, sometimes less when ELF is having a massive sale. This book is just full of beautiful neutrals with a few fun colors. I find that when I use a primer with these (I've used both the $1 elf primer and the two-faced primer with identical results), these will stay on ALL day and be on if I fall asleep without taking it off, so all night as well. I find the colors easy to blend. There is a little fallout sometimes, but I've had more fallout from more expensive drugstore brands than this one, and it doesn't bother me. Usually, there isn't any at all.

The darker shades are more pigmented and easy to work with than the lighter shades, as is the case with most cheap eyeshadows. Some are still wfine but you defiantly want to purchase this with the intention of using the darker shades.

The book shape is cute but I think I would like this even more if it was something different. I bought the original and I think there might be more versions of this out now, so I am speaking of the original here - after about a year of having this, the cushiony case has dents and stuff all over it, the mirror is awkward/useless, and the book wont lay completely flat and open. This isn't going to knock a lippie off from me, I'd just prefer another case.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

A friend at work recommended this palette for creating everyday looks and I managed to snag both the cool and warm palettes at Winners for about $6.
I like both palettes but I'll probably use the warm one more. (Asian NC30 and I suit warm tones better)

The shadows do have some shimmer but nothing outrageous and definitely subtle to wear everyday.
The pigment is okay (I need to layer the colour a bit for it to show) but lasts for most of the day.

I use my own makeup brushes and not the little sponge applicator that comes with the palette.

A real gem from E.L.F.!

on 12/21/2012 12:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love this little palette! I have it in cool. The colors are highly pigmented and true to pan. I just love how bright they all come out. There are some lovely greens, purples, pinks, oranges, blues, and even some grey and black for smokey looks and contrast. The only downfall of this palette is that you will probably need some neutral colors for blending. Other than that, I just love it!

on 9/2/2011 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this on a whim when I saw it on an end cap at my local big box store, and I'm so glad I did! I normally wear MAC eyeshadow, but picked this up to try out new looks without spending a lot on something I might never wear past my makeup mirror. The colors are great, with a wide variety of neutrals (48) that have just the right amount of shimmer to make my complexion glow, but not be too overbearing for my conservative day job. Plus, the "little black book" they come in make them easy to keep in my purse, desk drawer, or just at home. Will definitely buy again!

on 8/31/2011 10:09:00 PM

I went to walgreens to pick up Blistex and WNW cream eye liner, didn't find what I wanted but I was so happy I saw this one! I saw three kinds beauty books there, I picked up mine called Little Black Beauty Book Volume I, and I loved it! 48 beauty colors and it's so compact! Cuteeeeee!

on 8/14/2011 12:21:00 PM

I have this in the "cool" tones. Love it so much already bought a back up. Only thing i dont like is, the eyeshadows tend to dust onto the lip colors because there is no divider. I took a bounty tissue folded in in half and shut it in there and keep it closed w/ a hair elastic. That works good.

I recently bought this at my local marshalls for 5 dollars in the cool edition because I just couldn't resist such a good deal. This little beauty book is adorable!

I am so surprised with the quality of this palette! Although the eyeshadows feel a little chalky (especially the shimmers or the sparkly ones), they are all pretty long lasting and have great color payoff. The colors are so fun! I never knew how much I would like fun colors until I tried them out. There are so many colors (48) and this is such a great buy for anyone!

I would happily buy different versions!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I own several of these little eye shadow beauty books and I have liked them all. I normally go for the ones that have primarily neutral colored eye shadows in them such as the Day and Natural eye shadow books. Yes, these eye shadow books are the size of ones hand. The eye shadows themselves are long lasting and easy to blend as sell. And, I really like tush because the eye shadow book is compact in size, I don't have to worry about it taking a lot of space in my purse either.

I really like them and I definitely will continue to buy more of them in the future.

Popular Palettes