e.l.f. Cosmetics Essential Little Black Beauty Book

e.l.f. Cosmetics Essential Little Black Beauty Book
Essential Little Black Beauty BookEssential Little Black Beauty Book

3.7

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This cute little palette comes in two color families, Warm or Cool. Each has 28 eyeshadows and 20 lippies. The Cool has a range of purples/silvers/greys/pinks/blues/greens with pinks and reds in lippies. The Warm has a range of bronzes/golds/beige/taupes/peaches and a few greens with deeper colors in the lip range, including some bronzey shades. They come in an approximately 4x5" soft plastic book-type case, which sort of snaps together. There is no separator between the l/s and e/s, unfortunately. There is a small mirror next to the l/s. I found mine at Big Lots for $4.50 USD, which is ridiculously inexpensive. I expected to get what I paid for and figured that I would be giving these to my nieces for playing dress-up, but you know what? It's surprisingly nice quality. There are some shades that are sheer, but many have very nice pigmentation and blendability. They last all day without fading or creasing, and the only thing I use as a base is a bit of foundation. Some of the shades have a lovely pearly quality without any over the top glitter' there are also matte and a few that have sparkle. The brush that comes with the kit is a total toss-away. There is some fallout to some of the shades. But overall, I was pleasantly surprised and would purchase these again. Are they MAC or Dior? No. But they are surely the same quality as Almay, L'Oreal, etc. It's fun to play a little!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I bought this little black book in the warm addition. I really love the colors of these eyeshadows. They work very well with my skintone. I find that the shimmery eyeshadows tend to work better than the matte colors. I find that the matte colors aren't as pigmented as the shimmery shades. The matte shades also cease more. When I apply eyeshadow primer prior to applying my eyeshadow the colors don't cease and the pigments are more intensified. I also love the design of the case. The small book design is very cute and It's perfect for on the go and traveling. Very convenient and mess free.
I purchased this for just $3.50 at my local T.J. Maxx. So it's a great bargain and a quality eyeshadow. I'm very satisfied with my little black beauty book.

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This review is for the DAY Palette, #91601 (pictured above) OMG I love this little thing! I bought this online to keep at my SO's house for a broad selection of looks, because the package - a sturdy little black plastic book - is adorable and the shades look like my favorites: Neutrals, warm earthy shades and pink/bronze/plums. It's so beautiful! There's a nice mix of finishes, a really nice matte light/medium flesh tone for blending, a couple shades for my brows, and all are pigmented and smooth. If these shades appeal to you, snag this!!!

on 6/23/2012 7:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have the palette in 'Warm'. I picked it up from Ross for about 3 dollars. Its amazing! I don't like the lippies though. I took that part of the palette out completely so all I have left is the eyeshadows. The fallout from the eyeshadows kept mixing in with the lippies and it just got messy. It was all good because I feel like none of the lippies looked right for my skin tone. Anyways, I abuse these eyeshadows lol. I've hit pan on about 9/28 of the shadows in a matter of months. There are 2 great shades to use for your brows as well, that are matte. They have 2 rows of neutral colors and 1 row of greens, and also 2 row of oranges. I'll probably hit pan on the greens last. I'm planning on hitting pan on all of the eyeshadows. What a challenge! Anyways, if you see these palettes at your local Ross, you should definitely pick it up! Hope to find the 'Cool' and try it out! ;)

on 8/14/2011 12:21:00 PM

I have this in the "cool" tones. Love it so much already bought a back up. Only thing i dont like is, the eyeshadows tend to dust onto the lip colors because there is no divider. I took a bounty tissue folded in in half and shut it in there and keep it closed w/ a hair elastic. That works good.

on 12/9/2013 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I love this palette. I got this for $2 probably at Target. I don't wear frosted or shimmery eye shadows but there are plenty of matte colors. I find myself reaching for this palette almost every day. I use it for both my brows and my eye shadow. I agree that the eye shadows are not huge but I have no trouble using an eye shadow brush to get the exact amount I need and want.

My mom taught me growing up that you get what you pay for but that is not always true for cosmetics. This was the best beauty value purchase for me in 2013. I would not hesitate buying this again, though seriously I think it would take me at least 2-3 years to use up just the matte colors that I love.

on 3/19/2013 2:13:00 AM

I purchased this in Warm ages ago in an elf haul. I love this little book! All of the colors are wearable and most of them are nicely pigmented, ESPECIALLY for the price you pay! $5 for all of these colors, sometimes less when ELF is having a massive sale. This book is just full of beautiful neutrals with a few fun colors. I find that when I use a primer with these (I've used both the $1 elf primer and the two-faced primer with identical results), these will stay on ALL day and be on if I fall asleep without taking it off, so all night as well. I find the colors easy to blend. There is a little fallout sometimes, but I've had more fallout from more expensive drugstore brands than this one, and it doesn't bother me. Usually, there isn't any at all.

The darker shades are more pigmented and easy to work with than the lighter shades, as is the case with most cheap eyeshadows. Some are still wfine but you defiantly want to purchase this with the intention of using the darker shades.

The book shape is cute but I think I would like this even more if it was something different. I bought the original and I think there might be more versions of this out now, so I am speaking of the original here - after about a year of having this, the cushiony case has dents and stuff all over it, the mirror is awkward/useless, and the book wont lay completely flat and open. This isn't going to knock a lippie off from me, I'd just prefer another case.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This palette is good for beginners trying to experiment on makeup. Some colors are a hit and miss, being more or less pigmented, it does last all day with my primer that was also E.L.F. The package is small and very cute. I just wish some of the colors were more pigmented...

on 12/23/2015 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

The warm version of this (along with an eye shadow and smudge brush that was included in the box as part of the holiday set) was given to me as a birthday/early Christmas gift from one of my friends who knew I liked many of e.l.f.'s products as well as preferring neutral palettes.

My first impression of this is that the packaging was quite tiny-- about the size of your hand. It closes with a magnet encased within the edges of the "book". And while its size is very travel friendly, I feel like the its design could have included for more shadows if it weren't for the cheap plastic applicator taped at the bottom. As for the size of the pans themselves, I can agree with some other reviewers that it was a bit smaller than what I initially expected, but getting product using the brushes included, ended up just fine.

The colors themselves are very similar to each other from the naked eye, and honestly, it would have been better to review each shade on different individuals to see which ones weren't needed in order to have space for a proper brush (even if it was dual ended and tiny) than a cheap plastic applicator or bigger pans.

I can't say I swatched every eye shadow in the palette, but from what shades I did without a primer, the pigmentation of many of the satin-like shadows ranged from alright to very opaque and beautiful. The textures of the shadows weren't too stiff but some of the shades can be described as slightly chalky, like with a few of the mattes, or have had too much fallout while swatching some of the satin/shimmery shades.

The nicest swatches with the satin finish were the medium~darkest shades. The mattes in this particular palette, overall, had some of the weakest pigmentation and took awhile to build up nicely. This was even worse with the lightest shades, which didn't show up on my skin until I picked up tons of product on the brush and put it directly on my skin. And while it seems like I was exaggerating, it isn't exactly far from the truth in the case with some of the eye shadows.

So who benefits most from this palette? Absolute beginners who want to experiment with various shades and finishes.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I own several of these little eye shadow beauty books and I have liked them all. I normally go for the ones that have primarily neutral colored eye shadows in them such as the Day and Natural eye shadow books. Yes, these eye shadow books are the size of ones hand. The eye shadows themselves are long lasting and easy to blend as sell. And, I really like tush because the eye shadow book is compact in size, I don't have to worry about it taking a lot of space in my purse either.

I really like them and I definitely will continue to buy more of them in the future.