e.l.f. Essential Little Black Beauty Book

e.l.f. Essential Little Black Beauty Book
Essential Little Black Beauty BookEssential Little Black Beauty Book

3.7

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This cute little palette comes in two color families, Warm or Cool. Each has 28 eyeshadows and 20 lippies. The Cool has a range of purples/silvers/greys/pinks/blues/greens with pinks and reds in lippies. The Warm has a range of bronzes/golds/beige/taupes/peaches and a few greens with deeper colors in the lip range, including some bronzey shades. They come in an approximately 4x5" soft plastic book-type case, which sort of snaps together. There is no separator between the l/s and e/s, unfortunately. There is a small mirror next to the l/s. I found mine at Big Lots for $4.50 USD, which is ridiculously inexpensive. I expected to get what I paid for and figured that I would be giving these to my nieces for playing dress-up, but you know what? It's surprisingly nice quality. There are some shades that are sheer, but many have very nice pigmentation and blendability. They last all day without fading or creasing, and the only thing I use as a base is a bit of foundation. Some of the shades have a lovely pearly quality without any over the top glitter' there are also matte and a few that have sparkle. The brush that comes with the kit is a total toss-away. There is some fallout to some of the shades. But overall, I was pleasantly surprised and would purchase these again. Are they MAC or Dior? No. But they are surely the same quality as Almay, L'Oreal, etc. It's fun to play a little!

on 8/14/2011 12:21:00 PM

I have this in the "cool" tones. Love it so much already bought a back up. Only thing i dont like is, the eyeshadows tend to dust onto the lip colors because there is no divider. I took a bounty tissue folded in in half and shut it in there and keep it closed w/ a hair elastic. That works good.

on 8/31/2011 10:09:00 PM

I went to walgreens to pick up Blistex and WNW cream eye liner, didn't find what I wanted but I was so happy I saw this one! I saw three kinds beauty books there, I picked up mine called Little Black Beauty Book Volume I, and I loved it! 48 beauty colors and it's so compact! Cuteeeeee!

on 9/2/2011 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this on a whim when I saw it on an end cap at my local big box store, and I'm so glad I did! I normally wear MAC eyeshadow, but picked this up to try out new looks without spending a lot on something I might never wear past my makeup mirror. The colors are great, with a wide variety of neutrals (48) that have just the right amount of shimmer to make my complexion glow, but not be too overbearing for my conservative day job. Plus, the "little black book" they come in make them easy to keep in my purse, desk drawer, or just at home. Will definitely buy again!

on 6/23/2012 7:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have the palette in 'Warm'. I picked it up from Ross for about 3 dollars. Its amazing! I don't like the lippies though. I took that part of the palette out completely so all I have left is the eyeshadows. The fallout from the eyeshadows kept mixing in with the lippies and it just got messy. It was all good because I feel like none of the lippies looked right for my skin tone. Anyways, I abuse these eyeshadows lol. I've hit pan on about 9/28 of the shadows in a matter of months. There are 2 great shades to use for your brows as well, that are matte. They have 2 rows of neutral colors and 1 row of greens, and also 2 row of oranges. I'll probably hit pan on the greens last. I'm planning on hitting pan on all of the eyeshadows. What a challenge! Anyways, if you see these palettes at your local Ross, you should definitely pick it up! Hope to find the 'Cool' and try it out! ;)

on 12/21/2012 12:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love this little palette! I have it in cool. The colors are highly pigmented and true to pan. I just love how bright they all come out. There are some lovely greens, purples, pinks, oranges, blues, and even some grey and black for smokey looks and contrast. The only downfall of this palette is that you will probably need some neutral colors for blending. Other than that, I just love it!

I have the palette that contains more brown tones than colors. (I've long since thrown the packaging away.)

I love the colors. I've been practicing with neutral tones, and this is the best neutral palette I can find right now. A lot of selection to choose from, which is nice, and I don't have to pay lots and lots of money for shadows I might not be happy with.

I would recommend this for the dirt cheap price. I see a lot of staying power, depending on the primer you use and the shades you use. Since I use neutral colors, I don't see the fade. I might see the fade if I used bright, bright colors, but I don't.

I also use it with UD primer potion, and that helps tremendously.

The only thing I don't like about it is the way that the applicator is stored inside. I wish there was something to hold it in place; it just sits there. Every time I open it, the stupid thing falls out. I only keep it in case I want to touch up my makeup while I'm out. I use brushes to apply the makeup in the first place. I just think they could have made it so you could snap the applicator in place.

In any case, I would recommend giving it a try. If you don't like it, you're only out about $5.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

A friend at work recommended this palette for creating everyday looks and I managed to snag both the cool and warm palettes at Winners for about $6.
I like both palettes but I'll probably use the warm one more. (Asian NC30 and I suit warm tones better)

The shadows do have some shimmer but nothing outrageous and definitely subtle to wear everyday.
The pigment is okay (I need to layer the colour a bit for it to show) but lasts for most of the day.

I use my own makeup brushes and not the little sponge applicator that comes with the palette.

A real gem from E.L.F.!

I love all of E.L.F.'s products, so naturally I wasn't surprised at myself for immediately buying this from Target for $5. The price is GREAT for the number of eyeshadows you get (48). The only thing that concerned me with this palette was that a few of the eyeshadows weren't very pigmented at all. Other than that, I loved it! Definitely a great palette for beginners.

on 3/19/2013 2:13:00 AM

I purchased this in Warm ages ago in an elf haul. I love this little book! All of the colors are wearable and most of them are nicely pigmented, ESPECIALLY for the price you pay! $5 for all of these colors, sometimes less when ELF is having a massive sale. This book is just full of beautiful neutrals with a few fun colors. I find that when I use a primer with these (I've used both the $1 elf primer and the two-faced primer with identical results), these will stay on ALL day and be on if I fall asleep without taking it off, so all night as well. I find the colors easy to blend. There is a little fallout sometimes, but I've had more fallout from more expensive drugstore brands than this one, and it doesn't bother me. Usually, there isn't any at all.

The darker shades are more pigmented and easy to work with than the lighter shades, as is the case with most cheap eyeshadows. Some are still wfine but you defiantly want to purchase this with the intention of using the darker shades.

The book shape is cute but I think I would like this even more if it was something different. I bought the original and I think there might be more versions of this out now, so I am speaking of the original here - after about a year of having this, the cushiony case has dents and stuff all over it, the mirror is awkward/useless, and the book wont lay completely flat and open. This isn't going to knock a lippie off from me, I'd just prefer another case.

Popular Palettes