Shu Uemura Pure Kolinsky Brush 5R

No Image

3.7

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

👎 Although Shu Uemura #5R is perfect for my small crease using 45° - 60° "sweeping" motions only, it gets a bit prickly when i gently tap or brush the tip onto my crease for smudging, especially the inner corner of my eyes. And this is after I washed it with TRESemme hair shampoo and conditioner, then with my toddler's Johnson's Baby Oil (Aloe vera and Vitamin E) [BIG MISTAKE because Baby Oil made it oily-clunky even after 2 days] followed by Johnson's Baby shampoo and TWICE already, tips are still scratchy. Unless you don't have sensitive eyelids, this overrated Japanese uncomfortable makeup tool is sincerely not worth wasting your $$ to satisfy your curiosity of what kolinsky is all about 😕

Anyway, i found a cheaper dupe made of half squirrel and sable hair called Eihodo WP S-6 for US$20.

on 2/2/2012 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

This is easily one of the best brushes ever made. I've used it every single day for the past 3 years. I use it to smudge my eyeliner and create the perfect smoky eye. It's made from pure Kolinsky, so it is outrageously soft. The tip comes to a nice point, so it's great for detail work. I'd buy it 100 more times, but I know I won't have to. If you care for your Shu Uemura brushes, they'll last a lifetime.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This tapered pure kolinsky brush is one of my staple makeup brushes for years. I love it much more than my MAC 219 and even a little bit more than my Hakuhodo B533BkSL. It has the perfect shape, perfect size, perfect stiffness - yet very soft bristles - to work with everything a makeup addict loves, that is to say creams, powders, liquids...

I have found that it blends out/smudges eye shadows or pencils beautifully, creating a gradation with the color without the harsh-looking line that you can sometimes have with the 219 (though I love this effect too).

I must admit that I didn't expect a brush this small to range at such a high price (US$60), but we're talking here about pure kolinsky hair, a very expensive and rare material. Honestly, this brush is worth every penny I spent on it because it delivers what I paid for and will last me for years and years, and years. You'll be fine living without ever using this brush, but if you want to treat yourself with an excellent, hand-made product, then why not splurge and get this one? I did and I'm really glad about it. :-)

Popular Makeup Brushes