3.8

VITIS VINIFERA (GRAPE) SEED OIL, PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) OIL, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, PEG-8 BEESWAX, PEG-6 CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC GLYCERIDES, SORBITAN STEARATE, PEG-60 ALMOND GLYCERIDES, SILICA, GLYCERIN, BENZYL ALCOHOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, LECITHIN, CITRUS AURANTIUM BERGAMIA (BERGAMOT) FRUIT OIL, JUNIPERUS VIRGINIANA OIL, JASMINUM OFFICINALE (JASMIN) OIL, CITRUS NOBILIS (MANDARIN ORANGE) PEEL OIL, CITRUS AURANTIUM AMARA (BITTER ORANGE) OIL, CITRUS AURANTIUM DULCIS (ORANGE) OIL, ROSA DAMASCENA FLOWER OIL, CRITHMUM MARITIMUM EXTRACT, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, OCTYL DODECYL PCA, MENTHYL PCA, MORINGA PTERYGOSPERMA SEED EXTRACT, HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHEROL, LIMONENE, LINALOOL, GERANIOL, FARNESOL, CITRAL, CITRONELLOL.

on 11/11/2016 4:20:00 PM

LOVE THIS STUFF. I normally wouldn't spend this much on a cleanser, but the results have convinced me. I've been using the oil cleansing method for more than a decade now, and while it has worked well for me, there is nothing glamourous or pampering about smearing straight oil on your face night after night. I discovered the Emma Hardie balm after getting a sample jar with an online order. Now I'm hooked! This is the oil cleansing method, but so much more convenient and luxurious compared to the olive oil I was using before. It smells like orange blossom water and reminds me of being at a spa. The texture is beautiful and melts into the skin and takes off all makeup and grime, including waterproof mascara. The microfibre cloth it comes with is thick and fluffy and feels wonderful on the skin (although any microfibre cloth works just as well too). My skin feels plump, moisturised and soft after using this balm. It can also be used as a heavy duty moisturiser as needed.

It is expensive and hard to get outside of UK/Europe, but I've waited for sales/GWP and managed to stock up for a more reasonable price. Also, the packaging changed in the last order I got. The jar now has a metal encased lid, which seems to solve the problem with the plastic cracking.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this after hearing Caroline Hirons' reviews. I've used various cleansing balms before; Clinique, Boots Botanics and Eve Lom but I find this the best for my skin.

I have very oily skin and often balms leave a film on my skin. This doesn't.

I double cleanse in the evening, using the Body Shop's camomile oil cleanser to remove my make up and then the EH cleanser to really massage into and cleanse my skin.

I have very oily skin and it's acne prone but I have not broken out using this and I have found that this cleanser has made my skin less oily. I do use other products which have reduced oil production but I think this cleanser has helped the most.

Packaging is rubbish, it's big and bulky so I fill a muji pot up when I travel. It smells divine and I love giving myself a mini facial with this.

The cloth is microfibre and muslin and I use this and a normal Flannel.

It is very expensive but it does last a long time. My first jar later over six months, using twice a day. It's often on offer too with 20% off, the last time I bought it I was given a free 50ml jar.

To Read all 36 Reviews, Login or Join

I really like this balm, it does a great job at taking off makeup and smells lovely. It is rather expensive though and I have used other balm cleansers that perform just as well. I'm not sure if i'd repurchase but it is nice if you want something luxurious

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

really love this product I have extremely dry skin and the balm really eases the tightness I usually get with other balms and removers. I have found this great at removing my make up I would however have to go over my eyes again after use to get rid of the last traces of liner

on 11/4/2015 11:49:00 AM

It's ok. It smells nice and it cleans. It's expensive and I don't like the pot. ESPA ProOptimal cleanser, smells very similar, comes in a tube, it's similar in that's it's an oily balm but a bit runnier and it also contains waxy jojoba beads that exfoliate and melt on your face and also pumpkin enzymes which eat up dead skin. You can also leave it on as a mask to exfoliate more. It's also £8 cheaper and you get 2 generous samples you choose from a selection via the ESPA site. So although it's nice it comes distant second to the ESPA.

I really like the cloth though, I use the 5 for £1.50 micro fibre cloths from Tesco, they're white, hanky sized so perfect. The EH cloth is a posh version of the Tesco cloths.

Great product for when my skin needs TLC. As with a lot of people, I picked this up after Caroline Hirons' recommendation. I always shied away from balm products as I wasn't sure I could be bothered with the mess of using a wash cloth but this has converted me and my skin feels both super clean and soft after. I still use a baby wipe to make sure eye make up is taken off as I find it's not so great with that. I also only use my wash cloth per wash and then it gets chucked in the laundry - as per Hirons' instructions to use one per day!

I always go back to this cleanser and lord knows I have tried a fair few and mostly high end. I'll break it down:
Pros
1.Never broken me out and I have combination skin
2.It feels like an indulgent balm for a massage and I like to use it a couple of times a week for a quick DIY mini facial
3. I don't use it as a makeup remover now Because of the price but when I do use it, all my makeups gone. I don't use waterproof mascara but it works well for regular mascara
Cons
1. The packaging is abysmal, everything that you have read about the horrid packaging is true
2. It melts in high temperature so if you are travelling to a warm country decant into suitable container.

I stopped counting after my 10th jar but I am fairly confident that I will continue using this product for years to come. and although it is classed as a cleanser, I feel that the best of this product comes in when you use it as a treatment balm for massaging. I do 15 to 30 mins of massaging with this every week and it has made a difference to my skin. I am 30+ but my skin looks plump with no wrinkles or fine lines. I also use this before I have someplace nice to go to, I find that makeup sits better on my skin.
Hope this review was helpful, if anyone has any query about this product I would be happy to help if I can.

on 6/7/2015 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I've used a lot of balm cleansers and they are my preferred makeup removal method. I have combination-oily skin and I wear light makeup with wp mascara daily. While this is nice enough to finish I will definitely not be purchasing it again.

I caved and tried this when every blogger under the sun raved about it. I held off for years and I should have held off forever. This is a good cleansing balm but its cons are one too many to forgive. It worked and it didn't do anything bad to my skin at all but I can't think of anything about this (texture, cost, scent, cleansing power, packaging etc) that isn't matched or beaten by another cheaper balm.

The packaging looks gorgeous but both jars I've had have leaked, one cracked, and they don't feel nearly as substantial as they look. As a product the scent is very herbal-spa but a bit warm and sweet. It's very pleasant to smell. The texture is a bit iffy. I find that you can feel very tiny bits of 'something'. The 'something' might be the formula hardening or ingredients that aren't fully ground or whatever. My feeling is that while it isn't scratchy it also isn't pleasant. The balm will also melt in the jar long before it touches your finger or face, so it tends to be an oily mess. On the skin it is very greasy but doesn't spread well so it is no good for facial massage. I found I had to use more of this than other balm cleansers to get the job done. As a makeup remover it is sub-par, especially with wp mascara. I had to really really work it in and sometimes there was residue. That almost never happens to me with even the cheapest of balms. That was a major vote against this in my book. It rinses well with a wash cloth and leaves the skin with a light moisturised feel, not sticky or greasy but there is something. I also used this as a morning cleanse and it didn't break me out but doesn't rinse as clean as I would like either.

I bought two jars in a post-Christmas sale and even on sale they were a splurge I regret. If you use balms like I do, as a makeup remover, then the fancy pants ingredients aren't getting close enough to your skin to do any good. I moved this to my morning cleanse because it was messy and a poor choice for makeup removal. I'd hesitate to spend that much even on my second/morning cleanse because I don't feel that cleanser stays on your face long enough to improve anything anyway. If it were cheaper I might have been more forgiving but this gets two lippies and I wouldn't recommend or repurchase. Frankly, I might have happily paid even more for this stuff if it were nicer but it is a bit lack luster in every department but scent. Try something else.

on 5/6/2015 12:17:00 AM

I have started to get combination Dry skin since 1 yr back & used to be combination Oily. last 2 yrs i have been battling getting more hydration into my regiem going into Combi - normal & now combi Dry i decided to seriously tackle my moisture issues.

1st impressions:-

the tub came with a semi hardened centre & the sides had melted & I spilt a good 2-3 uses on the toilet floor - no waste used it on my neck & chest.

I have used it twice last night & this morning, double cleansed last night but balm alone this morning.

I been having some dryness for a while with perhaps over exfoliation with Peter Thomas Roth's Max pads (I need to scrub less & Just swipe! too heavy handed me bad)

it did make my skin a little more comfortable after cleansing. Surprisingly not sticky or yucky after feel even though this product's texture really reminds me of a heavy oily body butter i used for stretch marks previously.

Smell: Many people adore the smell, For the record as many have scent impression changes during their periods - mine came 2 weeks back so i should not be hormonal affected in this area. I am not crazy about the smell, i would say its pleasant enough for me not to hate it for sure.

will be back after 2 weeks of use i hope!

Ok its been a few weeks, I am leaving it at 3 lippes, its really very expensive & I did break out from this. i need to use it not daily so that i dont break out - however the hydrating factor is very good i must say - SO if used 3 times a week, i would give it a 4 lippie 1 off the pimples, & price point.

This is a holy grail product for me, I switched after using another very famous balm cleanser for years but find this works better as I'm getting a bit older and my skin is no longer the oil slick it used to be. This removes all traces of make up and leaves my skin clean but not stripped of moisture, I'm on my second tub now and don't think I'll be switching back any time soon. I think the price is very good compared to others on the market, the only let down for me is the packaging, it's cheap looking, bulky and the lids crack almost immediately. This still isn't enough to knock a lippie off for me, it just sits in my bathroom and I decant into a smaller container for travelling.

Popular Face Skincare Products