Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength

Filtered by hair type : Wavy

3.7

Active Ingredients: Selenium Sulfide - 1 (Anti-Dandruff, Anti-Seborrheic Dermatitis)Inactive Ingredients: Water, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Glycol Distearate, Cocamide MEA, Ammonium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium Citrate, Fragrance, Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Stearyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Red 4

Contains selenium sulphide as its antifungal agent, rather than pyrithione inc in the rest of the H&S line.
It is effective at treating dandruff, seborrhoeic dermatitis, and pityriasis versicolor BUT there is no getting away from that sulphur smell. It's not so obvious immediately since there is so much scent covering it up in the formula itself but give it a few hours and your hair starts to smell like fart. It also has its delightful aroma cling to every towel and sponge it touches, too.

I can't deny its effectiveness as an antifungal treatment but it smells so bad it's an effective antisocial agent, too.
If zinc-based antifungals disagree with you, try looking into coal tar or ketoconazole based shampoos.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

HO-LEE SHIT. THE SMELL. SO BAD. I only used this once and trashed it so I can't fully speak to its efficacy (although it certainly didn't work wonders in one go) but the smell rendered this utterly unusable for me. It smells like musty old man dog pee cologne and the smell seems to intensify and expand as the days go on. 3 days later and I've had to wash all my clothes, bedspread, sheets etc because the smell was making me completely naseous. I don't understand why they thought this smell was okay. Also it seemed to give me a small mild rash on my neck

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

You do have to let it sit on your scalp for a little while in the shower before rinsing to get the most benefit.
It did help with flakes and itching ok but nothing spectacular.
The initial scent is not too bad(almost like a medicated dog shampoo) but after a few minutes UGH terrible.
Also after rinsing very well, I can still smell this on my body and hair and the smell keeps building and getting stronger and stronger. It smells horrendous! It just keeps getting worse.
I cannot stand it.
I will not be repurchasing this for that reason.
It literally makes me gag throughout the day.

Update:
My dog peed on her toy and it dried, the horrendous musky urine scent reminded me very much of this shampoo.
Yuck

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

It works! The fastest and most effective thing to knock out my stubborn sebhorrheic dermatitis, (ewwwww). And after you're all cleared up using it just once a week or so seems to keep it at bay since it is a bit drying and not the greatest smell. Disappointed that I can't find this in Europe. Do note that it advises super-thorough rinsing on light-coloured hair, mine is nearly black so I didn't find this an issue but something to keep in mind.

the only thing that really works for my seborrheic dermatitis. helps with flakes and bumps on my scalp. tried other things over the years and went back to this.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I purchased this thinking when my scalp acts up I will use it. I decided to give this a try one evening and it took several days for the smell to go away. I will keep it for really bad scalp issues, but my regular Head and Shoulders seems to be keeping those at bay. I probably will never use it again and I only used it once. I am very sensitive to scents and this was horrible. Aside from the scent...it probably really helps those with extreme scalp issues and for that perhaps I would recommend this to at least try. Its ok, but will not be purchasing this ever again and probably will never use the bottle I have.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I had a problem that lasted for Months ! I used two types of the regular head and shoulders and a clarifying shampoo, I tried washing my hair twice a day and washing it every other day...tried dry shampoo...Nothing worked...until I tried the head and shoulders clinical strength...my scalp felt better after the first wash ! and after the second wash it was GONE...I wish I tried it earlier...the only thing I don't like about it is its smell...smells like Sulfur...and it stays in your hair for a couple of hours..but that is not a problem at all
PS my scalp problem was a consistent dandruff with a very very oily spot on my crown...this shampoo got rid of both problems

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was searching Makeup Alley for a shampoo to try because my scalp is just crazy awful right now. I've used this shampoo for about a two years and ran out a little over a month ago. I now know I can just give up the search and go back because this just works. I wash with this for a week and I'm okay for three. The smell doesn't bother me at all, I actually like it. It doesn't smell exactly like Irish Spring soap, but if you know what that smells like, then you know not to expect a fruity or floral scent. That's the only thing I can think of that would keep someone from using it, not liking the smell, because it works 100%.

EDIT 8/13: I just bought the Kmart brand of this shampoo and I still love it, and the fact it was three dollars cheaper. The Kmart brand works a little better for me because it has more of a slippy feel. I think the Head and Shoulders has more conditioners in theirs so it's really thick, where as the Kmart one I can actually get it on my scalp easier. This doesn't dry my hair out though. It has a different smell too. Sort of like generic body wash you probably get in any cheap gift basket, a faint fruity, but to me its not a gross smell. So if you don't like the Irish Spring scent of the H&S this might work for you. I bought this on a Sunday and got my hair cut ten days later. I washed my hair with this shampoo four times. I never ever would have let anyone near my scalp with how it looked before I bought this. After four washes I didn't even blink taking out my pony tail for the shampoo or when she was brushing it after.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Flakes, crust, itching....gone. I was buying an $18-24 (not including shipping) bottle of shampoo from France. It just sort of became too much for me to buy $100 worth of shampoo yearly (to avoid extra shipping charges). I started my search with just a couple of ounces of my old HG left. Zinc Pyrithione and SA shampoos galore, mixing them too and I still had to go back to my HG. And forget Selsun Blue, it didn't seem to rinse clean and the smell...ick. Finally, my last straw before shelling out a bill, I decided to try this shampoo. Head and Shoulders Clinical Strength. It is the only shampoo (besides my old flame) that lets me skip a day...or two. It smells fresh, not old man-ish. While the fragrance isn't perfect at first, it actually smells pretty good as it mellows a few hours later. It lasts too, usually my scalp smells not so fresh in to the second day, but not now!!! Seriously, this is great. For less than $5, and no shipping, this is just what I needed. Edit 12.06.11 After using this shampoo for the past few months, it is still my HG. I always have this in the shower, and tend to choose it over any of my other options (high-end product addict). I even find myself passing up purchasing other beautiful bottles of poo. With that said, I would probably buy Vichy Anti-Dercos if it were more readily available and not so expensive. I think I was able to switch up my shampoos more often, as long as I used it weekly. With the H&S, the itching will return if I go about half that amount of time.