Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength

Filtered by skin tone : Fair

3.9

Active Ingredients: Selenium Sulfide - 1 (Anti-Dandruff, Anti-Seborrheic Dermatitis)Inactive Ingredients: Water, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Glycol Distearate, Cocamide MEA, Ammonium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium Citrate, Fragrance, Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Stearyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Red 4

Contains selenium sulphide as its antifungal agent, rather than pyrithione inc in the rest of the H&S line.
It is effective at treating dandruff, seborrhoeic dermatitis, and pityriasis versicolor BUT there is no getting away from that sulphur smell. It's not so obvious immediately since there is so much scent covering it up in the formula itself but give it a few hours and your hair starts to smell like fart. It also has its delightful aroma cling to every towel and sponge it touches, too.

I can't deny its effectiveness as an antifungal treatment but it smells so bad it's an effective antisocial agent, too.
If zinc-based antifungals disagree with you, try looking into coal tar or ketoconazole based shampoos.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

HO-LEE SHIT. THE SMELL. SO BAD. I only used this once and trashed it so I can't fully speak to its efficacy (although it certainly didn't work wonders in one go) but the smell rendered this utterly unusable for me. It smells like musty old man dog pee cologne and the smell seems to intensify and expand as the days go on. 3 days later and I've had to wash all my clothes, bedspread, sheets etc because the smell was making me completely naseous. I don't understand why they thought this smell was okay. Also it seemed to give me a small mild rash on my neck

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I moved from west to east coast and all of a sudden I have dandruff, probably due to extremely dry winter air. I tried Head and Shoulders with zinc, Body Shop ginger shampoo that gets rave reviews on this site, and neither of them worked to get rid of my winter flakes. This shampoo worked to get rid of the dandruff within a week. I was really happy.
HOWEVER, my bf cannot stand the smell. He says it reminds him of old men smell (his dad). I could not stand the smell for the first couple of days, but then I got used to it, but apparently the smell can be pretty appalling to other people. I think I will try Selsun Blue to see if it smells better.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

It works! The fastest and most effective thing to knock out my stubborn sebhorrheic dermatitis, (ewwwww). And after you're all cleared up using it just once a week or so seems to keep it at bay since it is a bit drying and not the greatest smell. Disappointed that I can't find this in Europe. Do note that it advises super-thorough rinsing on light-coloured hair, mine is nearly black so I didn't find this an issue but something to keep in mind.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been suffering with dandruff for ages now. I haven't really had any luck with other dandruff shampoos. Then I came across this one. I love it I use it every time I wash my hair (~3 days) and this works. I noticed that in winter, my scalp gets a lot more oily than usual. The only thing I don't like is it smells weird.

the only thing that really works for my seborrheic dermatitis. helps with flakes and bumps on my scalp. tried other things over the years and went back to this.

This did nothing to benefit my hair/scalp & actually further irritated the issues I am having. If you have sensitive skin or are dealing with a red scalp, opt for the 2% Zinc H&S instead.

This shampoo is great for dandruff! I have such bad dandruff I had medicated shampoo, but this works better than that did. I mean, it doesn't really do a lot for the frizziness for your hair so I just use a different shampoo for that along with it and it works out well. My advisement with this is use a different shampoo/conditioner along with it to treat your hair, and use this to treat your scalp.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I had a problem that lasted for Months ! I used two types of the regular head and shoulders and a clarifying shampoo, I tried washing my hair twice a day and washing it every other day...tried dry shampoo...Nothing worked...until I tried the head and shoulders clinical strength...my scalp felt better after the first wash ! and after the second wash it was GONE...I wish I tried it earlier...the only thing I don't like about it is its smell...smells like Sulfur...and it stays in your hair for a couple of hours..but that is not a problem at all
PS my scalp problem was a consistent dandruff with a very very oily spot on my crown...this shampoo got rid of both problems