Bobbi Brown BB Cream SPF 35 PA+++

BB Cream SPF 35 PA+++

3.7

on 6/2/2011 10:11:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I have tried many korean BB creams in the past ( Gowoonsesang brightening balm, BRTC Jasmine water, Skinfood Mushroom bb cream and Missha perfect cover bb cream) and I have to say that this is by far the best bb cream I have ever used! Most of the korean bb creams that I have used in the past are either too rich or tend to leave an unnaturally greyish cast on the face. Some of them are also unnaturally pink.

Bobbi brown has recently released a new range of BB cream which is Asia exclusive and comprises of 3 shades; Extra Light, Light and Fair (Extra Light being the lightest and Fair being the darkest). I am NC15 and use Extra Light. The texture of this cream is very lightweight, non greasy and has quite good oil control. Although it is claimed to be good for all skin types, it can be slightly drying for dry skins. Therefore if your skin is exceptionally dry I would advise you to moisturise well before applying this cream on top. Like all bb creams, the texture is fairly thick but is still relatively easy to blend on the skin. Coverage is sheer to medium depending on how much you apply. I believe it can even be built up to full coverage if you layer on more product. Like all Bobbi brown products, the shades take on a slightly yellow tone although not as yellow as her other foundations; the bb cream shades are fairly neutral in my opinion. This cream gives a lovely glowy finish to the skin even after I set it with a light dusting of translucent loose powder. I should also add that I have extremely sensitive skin and this has not irritated my skin, caused me any breakouts or clogged my pores. Big plus point! The only downside with this product is that the shade range is very limited so women of color or people with darker skintones will have a problem finding a match which is a pity because this is an excellent product.

The product comes in a no frills sleek black tube with a screw cap which is practical although not the prettiest in my opinion. Also, this BB cream is on the more expensive side ; I paid RM150 for it in Malaysia which works out to be about 50usd. To sum it up, this is by far my favourite base makeup product from Bobbi brown and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good BB cream.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

In the summer of 2012, BB Creams were just becoming really big in the United States, and being the makeup junkie that I am, I bought into the hype right away. At the time, I was starting Accutane and had acne that was out-of-control and skin that was constantly red and painful. I knew that no foundation would cover up all the problems I was having, so I gave up on makeup for a while. I was looking for a simple product that would even my skin tone out a little, diminish redness, and not irritate my already upset complexion. I decided that BB Creams were my calling. I did a lot of research and tried a lot of products before settling on Bobbi Brown's version.

So began the most passionate love story of my life: mon amour, my love, my first everything, my first tube of Bobbi Brown BB.

Ever since, there has not been ONE DAY I haven't worn this, unless I had the flu or for some other reason didn't leave my house, wash my face, or take a shower at all that day (read: gave up on life). It is practically a part of who I am at this point. I have sent a letter to Bobbi Brown begging them to never discontinue this because I don't know what I would do without it. I've bought at least seven or eight tubes by now and I'll continue to buy it until it's no longer available. I have honestly no desire to try any other foundation products. "Holy Grail" doesn't come close to describing my relationship with this product. It is more like my soul mate. If it were a human, we would make sweet love together every night, laugh at all the same things, go out dancing to salsa music, and be so cute that all our friends hated us.

It took a little bit of getting used to, but so does any product. I'll admit that my application method is fairly unorthodox and would not work for most people, but it is a match made in heaven for my post-accutane, Sahara desert dry skin. I speculate that this would also work for people using topical retinoids.
To prep my skin for the BB cream, I oil cleanse with castor oil before applying CeraVe AM lotion mixed with a salicylic acid moisturizer of my choice, to exfoliate flakes. I don't wash off the castor oil before applying my moisturizers -- that's the trick to making my pores look tiny and the surface of my skin look smooth. The combination of the slightly slick texture of the CeraVe AM over the castor oil base is a perfect canvas for my BB Cream. The oil soaks into my face during the day and melds with the BB Cream to become one beautiful and natural-looking case of complexion perfection.

I always use another SPF underneath this even though it has pretty good sun protection, but only because I'm really anal about never having wrinkles and keeping my skin protected against hyperpigmentation. I'm sure for most people the SPF in this is good enough by itself. I'd also be willing to speculate that those of you with oilier skin types may not even need any other moisturizer underneath this, depending on the climate you live in. In my experience it is great at controlling oil because I slather a bunch of it on my face in the morning and by evening, I look "dewy." I only do this because if I didn't slather a bunch of oil on my face in the morning, by evening my skin would be crusty, red, and chapped, but I have an abnormal level of dryness caused by harsh acne meds, so YMMV.

What I possibly love most about this product is the color. I wear the Extra Light shade, and it's one of the only BB Creams I've tried that isn't sickeningly PINK. I'm VERY fair-skinned, and VERY yellow-toned. MAC's NC10 is way too pinky-orange for me. It's hard to find foundations light enough for my skin that are either neutral or yellow enough. Bobbi Brown BB Cream is WONDERFULLY YELLOW. Cool-toned girls, don't fret -- my NW15 sister also loves the Extra Light shade because the yellowness has a neutralizing effect on her warmer skin. Everyone wins.
One thing I've noticed along the way is that when I first open the tube, the product is very yellow, but by the time I'm finishing up the last bits of product, it turns to more of a neutral shade, which is fine, but I think the cream oxidizes a bit in the tube as you use it. Not a deal breaker by any means, but something to note.

I use about one tube every three months, but I am a very heavy user and sometimes apply multiple layers of this per day. In terms of brushes, I've found the best application method is using the Urban Decay Optical Blurring brush (or one similar) and a stippling method, but I use a BeautyBlender. It is extremely buildable. One layer is light-medium coverage, two is medium-full. If you want to apply two layers it's best to wait a long time in between. For example, if I know I'm going out that night, I'll apply one layer, go about my day, then apply a second layer when I start doing my "night look" makeup. It does not look cakey when you do this. I can attest to that. It actually looks better than applying one layer of a full-coverage foundation because with two sheer coats, the nuances of your skin can still be seen, but they're so blurred out that you look basically perfect.
I find that I look most beautiful when I apply this, take a nap, and then apply a second layer about an hour later. (Why? I don't know. It's just one of those weird things you pick up on after religiously using a product every single day for a long period of time)

Bobbi Brown BB Cream is super long-lasting, but the great thing about it is that when it does start to wear off, it just looks like you're not wearing any makeup. I can sleep in this and it doesn't irritate my skin. In fact, my skin is more reactive if I don't wear it for a day. I think it does have positive, balancing effect on my skin.

In a sentence: this is the HG foundation product for me and my skin. YMMV, but it's a wonderful BB Cream I'd recommend to anyone.

Bobbi Brown's BB cream comes in a slim black tube, exuding the brand's signature sleekness. The flip-top hasn't given me any problem so far (in terms of messy product leakage, difficult to open, etc). I like that the tube is small and slim enough for me to slip into my handbag, handy for quick after-work touchup before dinner or drinks.

texture-wise, the cream isn't too thick or too runny, making application easy as i was able to spread the cream and blend it quite easily. i didn't notice any unpleasant scent (or any at all, for that matter) upon application. This BB cream is available in 3 shades (Extra Light, Light, Fair), and the SA recommended that I get Extra Light. I think Extra Light is a tad too light for me, but Light is definitely too dark. So i went ahead and purchased Extra Light, which looks fine after oxidation.

The SA advised that I get BB cream instead of tinted moisturizer, as BB cream supposedly works better on oily skin. While my skin isn't overly oily, it's still affected by the incredibly humid weather here and more often than not I find myself having to blot a couple of times throughout the day. Weather here sucks that way >:( But i digress. The point is, Bobbi Brown's BB cream supposedly provides more coverage and better oil control compared to Tinted Moisturizer, and I thought woow that's something I can't miss, even though I was deeply in love with Laura Mercier's TM. A TM that works just like TM but with skin-loving ingredients, better coverage, and better oil control? I MUST HAVE IT.

Shortly (a few hours) after the initial application, I do notice that the SA's claims were true. Better coverage? check. Better oil control? check. However, towards mid afternoon (after 5 hours or so), I realize that the coverage has thinned out, and it looks more or less like if I'd applied TM instead. I also miss the dewy and glowy look that only LM's TM could give.

Nonetheless, I have to give credits to Bobbi Brown for creating a great yellow-based BB cream (a point that has been overlooked by numerous Korean BB cream producers, resulting in ashy complexions -cringes-). I also agree that Bobbi Brown's BB cream provides much better oil control--this perhaps, is due to the nature of the product itself (ie. BB cream VS TM).

Thus, I will not be purchasing this product again. Perhaps I'll try Bobbi Brown's TM, but maybe I should just stick to my beloved LM.

on 9/24/2012 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The main properties of the product are brightening dull skin, moisturizing, reducing dark spots and discolorations, boosting collagen, preventing fine lines and wrinkles, and reducing redness while protecting skin with an SPF 35.

A quick glance at the box doesnt display a ton of anti-aging ingredients but there are a good deal of plant extracts that are good for your skin.

The formula is a medium thickness thats not too creamy and not too thin. The creamy texture has a soft buttery texture that blends into skin easily without looking greasy or oily. It offers a very nice hydrating finish thanks to the water base of the product. I find it wears like a second skin without fading or oxidizing. Its so incredibly comfortable and luxurious feeling, like a drink of water for my skin.

Coverage is sheerer but manages to ease dullness incredibly well, conceal smaller problems, and create a smooth, flawless, healthy complexion. I love how my skin just glows when I have this on.

Overall, Bobbi Browns BB Cream isnt a traditional Korean BB Cream by any means but it takes things to a very new and exciting level in the BB Cream category. The water base has such a smooth, creamy feel that melds so beautifully well with skin creating a healthy, flawless look thats very natural and oh so fresh. It surprises me that MACs version was such a terrible fail yet Bobbi Browns version with many of the same ingredients proves a huge success for me. How odd!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've been using the Bobbi Brown BB Cream w/SPF 35 for about 2 months. My skin texture is softer and feels conditioned. My mild hormonal acne is clearing faster, which is great, because I'm so pale that spots take a month to disappear! I have a pale English rose complexion with a pink undertone (NW15). The Extra Light is perfect for me but I expect the Light would suit a lot more people. The sunscreen/treatment/tinted combo diffuses nicely with fingers, just work quickly. Once it sets, this looks great without being obvious...its the first tinted product I've been able to stand on my face and not feel it is there. Perfect for a natural look, just be careful about the shade.

on 8/2/2012 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my first BB cream and I am in heaven. I ordered this through Nordstrom but it is now available on her actual site.
Pros:
I am so very very oily and this product actually lives up to the hype. Oil control and no breakouts are what I look for in a foundation. The SPF is nice but I care more about breakouts and oil. This has caused zero breakouts. I really did not think this would control my oil but it does! I do not have to blot for at least four hours and that is really good for me considering I live in a super high humidity where it has been 105. I am sure if I was indoors all day I would not have to blot at all.
I also love the fact that this does not oxidize on my skin. I have such a hard time with foundations and even bronzers because they change colors throughout the day. The color "light" is spot on for my skin. It blends in like silk. I apply a tiny amount of the cream and work it into my skin and then set it with BB pale yellow pressed powder. The yellow tone of the BB cream is great at covering redness. These two products work perfectly together. I received several compliments on my skin the first day I wore this stuff. It does not even look like you are wearing makeup. I do not think I have ever had a product that matches my skin so PERFECTLY! My mother now wants to order some for herself.
Con- The only con I find with this product is the price tag. I hope that this lasts me for some time because the tube looks rather small. I for one do not have a problem with buying expensive items if I know that they work for my skin so I will suck it up and repurchase.
* I also hope this helps the appearance of my skin (tone and health i guess) over time.

Don't like this much- has a flat finish and a bit chalky on my normal-slightly dry skin.

I do a lot of walking outdoors so always use a high SPF ( 25+) under foundation. I thought this product would be great for summer- no need for foundation, separate sun block- just use this and out the door fast!

Pros
-Can't think of any except it works like a tinted moisturiser.

Cons
-Colour range limited - extra light is darker than Porcelain in foundation, but okay once blended.
-Texture - I still need to use a moisturiser under this or it drags my skin on application.
-Coverage- hardly any. May as well use tinted moisturiser. Layering makes it streaky because it dries quickly. Has no 'glow'.
-Doesn't last- has to be re-applied after a few hours.

I won't buy again and wish I'd gone for the tinted moisturiser which has SPF 25 and seems much more dewy.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Eh.
That's Bobbi Brown's BB Cream summed up in one word.

Overview: "Moisturize, perfect and protect - instantly and over time. Now it's easier than ever to get great skin with Bobbi Brown's new BB Cream SPF 35. Inspired by a skincare/makeup hybrid that's a cult favorite in Asia, this formula combines moisturizer, treatment, Broad Spectrum SPF and a lightweight foundation in one. Plus, it's available in five skin tone correct shades carefully formulated by Bobbi herself. Consider it your skin's new best friend."

Price: I was so excited for this when it first came out, but I still had a bunch of other foundations I was using and loving, and this isn't exactly cheap. When I got a 10% code from Sephora's "Spin The Wheel" promotion, I decided I would just get it for the drier months. It's $42 for 1.35 oz while Laura Mercier's [in]famous tinted moisturizer is $43 for 1.5 oz. I suppose Bobbi's is more expensive because BB creams supposedly contain better-for-your-skin ingredients, but who knows.

Wear: I put this on about five hours ago and noticed some shine within an hour, and now my face is an oily mess. I normally have combo/oily skin, but it's been very dry here in LA and my skin is more normal (but still a little oily) than it usually is. It's also nighttime so it is quite windy and cool. It just strikes me as odd as Bobbi Brown consistently states in interviews that this BB cream is meant for oily skins and that her TM is for the normal/dry ones because this is not working with my skin at all! I'll need to powder throughout the day to make this work or maybe just powder more in the morning. I did not use any type of moisturizer under this and applied it to freshly cleansed and toned skin, as this was advertised to included the moisturizer step of our routines.

Color: The shades are so limiting! I'm about an NC40 give or take a little, and I am using the darkest shade, Medium to Dark. It matches the deepness of my skin pretty well, so if you're darker or a WOC, this won't be for you until she extends her shades. Bobbi prides herself in yellow-toned foundations, but to be honest, I found this to be pretty orange coming out of the tube, especially compared to Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Caramel. On my skin, it has turned a little bit more orange. However, getting a shade lighter won't fix this problem-- you'll just look a lighter shade of orange. If you are Asian like me, your really yellow skin will just be far too yellow to match perfectly with this foundation.

Weight/ Coverage: I don't really feel it on my skin, but I normally can't even notice Laura Mercier Silk Creme or Estee Lauder Double Wear (normal and light). I do feel oily though, but I can't tell if that's the natural oils in my skin or if it's from the BB cream. I would say this is a light-medium coverage product, leaning towards the light side if you consider it a foundation and definitely medium and maybe even heavy if you consider this a tinted moisturizer.This isn't designed to be a heavy coverage foundation though, so although the coverage is buildable, it's going to feel really heavy if you're trying to get it to look really heavy. I have some redness along my left jawline and I find that this covers it about 30% of the way, but even ELDW does not cover it 100%, even on top of a green corrector.

Smell: It smells like body sunscreen!!! Even face sunscreen doesn't smell this strongly. I am aware that artificial fragrances aren't good for your skin, but I don't see this being good for my skin either.

Conclusion: This isn't BAD by any means, after all, higher-end products use better ingredients so I'm sure this is better for your skin than $3 drugstore foundation. However, I'm not sure it performs that much better than something cheaper. It's just average. I doubt I will return this because I'm sure I'll need some moisturizing one day and it might prove handy. I'll keep using this and update this if I remember to, but honestly I don't see myself re-buying this.

on 7/16/2012 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This might be the BB cream for me. I don't like putting too many different things on my skin, so loved the idea of BB creams, but so far hadn't been impressed by the ones I'd tried (No 7, Estee Lauder, Garnier). I have very oily skin and have to be careful with base - I can end up super-shiny within a couple of hours even with oil-free products. The BB BB cream has ingredients that mop up excess oil, and it does work. I'm writing now after wearing it for 12 hours, and, yes, I have shine now, but the oil only started to creep through a few hours ago. I don't mind a little bit. It feels a lot more comfortable than my usual LM tinted moisturiser, which can get uncomfortably greasy in the summer. Only slight reservation is the BB formulation is quite thick and looks a little cakey to begin with if I'm not very sparing with application. But once it's been settled on my skin for an hour or so, it looks smooth and natural.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Im Asian w yellow undertones, light to medium, nc30. I give this 4.5 stars because it's pricier than other BB creams.
I've tried and researched a lot of BB creams and most of them come in just one shade or their shades have a slight grey tone to them. I've been using Bobbi's foundations and tinted moisturizer since her line came out many years ago. Sometimes I stray because her makeup is overpriced IMO, but I always bite the bullet and come back because her colors match me perfectly.
I saw that Nordstroms was selling her new BB cream online only. I normally wear natural to natural tan 4.0-4.25 in her foundation and the SA online matched me to Medium in the BB cream. It's perfect! I use a pea sized amount and it gives me good coverage, long wearing and blends into my skin perfectly, no grey or pink tones. Despite her high prices, Bobbi Browns face makeup is my HG.