Oscar de la Renta Esprit de Oscar

Oscar de la Renta Esprit de Oscar

4.2

on 10/23/2017 12:25:00 PM

I am a fan of powdery fragrances so after reading reviews on EDO, I made a mental note to test it. I never really went out of my way to find a tester and I never serendipitously ran across one either. However, I did find a 3.4 oz EDP on sale for just under 20$ so I blind bought it.

While EDO was not "love at first wiff," It is definitely a solid "like" with the potential for a love affair to cultivate with time. Other reviewers perceive a baby powder, I don't. It's a talcum powder. Slightly soapy and remarkably clean. Purple & white florals are contrasted against a slightly sour, bitter lemon and citronella. I almost detect a vanilla or caramel or something in the drydown to sweeten the deal. It's nice. Inoffensive and again, smells clean for sure. It's worth the 20$ for a huge bottle but I wouldn't pay more.

on 11/15/2014 4:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This a very rich floral dominated by heliotrope and vanilla on my skin. I dont get any powderiness to call it an old ladies scent. Good sillage and great longevity. It really is cheap to buy online so dont miss out on a fantastic great quality perfume that I suspect will become a classic.

on 10/17/2014 9:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I really hoped this would be a lighter updated version of the original Oscar but it is a totally different scent. I'm glad everyone else is so positive about it but this smelled like scented maxi pads on me--shivers-- and I gave it a good couple of hours to change and work some kind of magic but no it just smelled very, shall I say, old lady powdery? And I am old so that is some serious knocking. The vanilla bottom was very heavy handed and obliterated the opening notes in a hurry. Also knocked out the floral middle notes so they became an indistinct miasma mixed with vanilla.

My husband told me I smelled like his grandmother's scarf drawer and she's been dead for 30 years. Not the response I was hoping for.

on 10/5/2014 5:27:00 PM

If this isn't a classic I don't know what is. This was a wedding day perfume before people talked about wearing a wedding day scent. It became a wedding scent on its own...without it being forced down people's throats as a scent for a bride to wear ala Very Wang and Beautiful. If florals are not your thing then you need to run as far away fro Esprit de Oscar as you can. It is the kind of floral that when you wear it and the walk outside bees are attracted to you!!! This perfume is like bee nectar in a bottle it is that floral. You don't come across true new release florals like this much anymore. Esprit de Oscar also has a very lovely and zesty lemon top note that is really fun too. From there though its all floral and powdery. I think it is the helitrope note that makes it so powdery. So beautiful, floral and nave Esprit de Oscar is it is an absolute beauty.

on 8/1/2014 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Love this one! It is so wearable and ladylike. All the notes listed are citrus notes of Sicilian lemon, bergamot and citron, heart of Egyptian jasmine, orange blossom and tuberose. The base is oriental, creamy, smooth and very long-lasting with musk, heliotrope, tonka and vetiver. I am not sure what all those notes are, but blended together they make a wonderful, aromatic perfume. I find romance in this fragrance! It just smells like a scent I would wear if I were going out with a gentleman that I wanted to fall in love with, or have him fall madly in love with me. The bottle is very heavy and has the classic topper. The bottle alone points to elegance, and the scent is elegant in itself. I cannot compare this scent to any of the other scents some have said it smells similar to because to me, it smells nothing like any of those. This perfume is unique and unto itself as far as I can smell. This will be one of my favorites for sure!

I bought this after reading all the reviews on here and I have to say I was a little disappointed. The perfume itself has quite a creamy heavy smell when you first spray it but it does dry down to a musky smell but the longevity of the perfume is rubbish which is a shame as it is EDP too. I like to spray a perfume and be able to still smell it on for at least the next couple of hours but I just didn't get this at all. I am quite happy with the scent although my husband who usually sniffs out new scents on me didn't notice at all. Having said that the bottle is very beautiful if not that practical in the shape and looks expensive. I am a perfume freak and I love trying new ones but this was a blind buy and going on the reviews I have to say I was a little disappointed and wouldn't buy again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Sweet, creamy vanilla baby powder with a dusting of almond and a drop of milk. Powdery scents often get judged as old fashioned on the first sniff, but unlike most of these types this is not sharp or overpowering! There is none of Angel's dirty Patchoulli or instance, its soft and gentle in comparision. And its powdery but not sneezy or headachy like I find most powdery fragrances, its elegant and restrained. I don't sense any blackcurrant or lemon notes other people mentioned, its not gourmand. Initially I notice the same nutty/soapy scent that irritated me in "Volupte", but thankfully, this note stands out only briefly. After an hour it settles, and the fragrance gets smoother and creamier and wraps itself around the skin. I agree with "amv10" who called it a "cashmere" fragrance! I feel wrapped in a soft dreamy creamy cloud. I think this is a cosy winter fragrance for snuggling in.

I mentioned the gentle and comforting feel but its also very long lasting. I find it lasts all day and on clothes it lasts for days and days, its a satisfying change to the newer celeb sprays that I find don't last more than an hour or so. I usually dislike powdery scents like these but this has one me over with its quality and charm. Worth giving a try I say!

on 11/5/2013 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Extremely powdery on me and i think as this scents reminds me of my fathers nursing home i wouldn't purchase though the scent is very nice.
Good longevity and sillage.

on 4/9/2014 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Warm

Initial scent is bright and lemony, with a kind of liquored violet. About an hour in, it grows more mellow and complex with heliotrope, iris and vanilla. The vetiver adds a grassy and possibly spicy note. I bought this as an alternative to Apres l'Ondees, as the sillage is excellent and the cost is affordable. One spray is all I need to enjoy its beauty all night. This is perfect for relaxing at home -- cozy, comforting, warm. Yet it also exudes enormous presence. I use only occasionally when I seek a certain mood or feeling.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I wore the orginal Oscar back in the 80's & 90's & loved it...but moved onto others ...when this new version was launched it was on my to try/buy list.....recently bought a 50ml edp ..unsniffed but as I loved the orginal ..what the heck as its so inexpensive now...its taken 3 goes to like it...I now love it ...its a nice velvet lemon smell but I also get a huge whiff of tonka bean ..it actually reminds me of Prada Tendre on the dry down..another huge lemon/tonka bean fragrance....on me anyway....its all down to skin chemistry at the end of the day....
Its a soft velvet powdery lemon fragrance ...it dosent shout or announce itself ...It would be interesting to try the orginal Oscar against it...to see how it compares ....The packaging & bottle is abs divine ..the solid white box is peony pink inside its a delight to open it & the bottle is gorgous ...a substantial weighty glass bottle shaped like the orginal bottle with a thick gold collar etched with Oscar de la Renta and the cap is shaped like an open flower & a little glass dewdrop is attached to the flower...overall its an abs delight a truely beautiful feminine confection ...would I buy again ...Yes & the orginal too....

Popular Fragrances