Cosmetic Skin Solutions C E Ferulic

No Image

4.3

Key Ingredients: Ferulic, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Sodium hyaluronate

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've used Paula's Choice C15 Booster since 2013 and did pretty well with it. I wouldn't have strayed except the price kept creeping up (and discounts less and less). With our falling Canadian dollars, $48 USD for 20ml is looking very expensive indeed.

(I was given Skinceuticals CE Ferulic sample which I was quite okay with also, except for the $166 CAD price tag for a full size. No thanks.)

Finally I gave in and bought CSS' version for about $40 USD for 30ml. It arrived in just over a week, carefully packaged and serum totally clear. I put some in an empty PC sample vial and keep the big bottle (in box) in the back of the fridge. I've refilled the sample vial a few times now - the serum remains clear and there's still a lot left.

So how does this knock-off version compare to Skinceuticals and PC?

Smell: much lighter than Skinceuticals, which does have a hot dog-like scent. The smell doesn't linger I find. I never found PC version has much of a smell to begin with.

Feel: definitely more tacky than PC, but a touch less than Skinceuticals. After 15 minutes of so the tackiness goes away (don't over-apply).

Effect: this may be all in my head but I think CSS version is the most efficacious for my skin - it feels firmer, smoother and appears the most even-toned while using this.

My verdict? I will buy this again. $40 USD/$55 CAD is still not cheap but at least this is 10ml more than PC for less of a hit on my wallet.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Background:
I have used this ce ferulic every morning for more than half a year and am already on my third bottle, so I think I can write a thorough review on this. The other stuff I use is tretinoin 0.1% cream every night which keeps my skin very clear.

Pros:
- gives you a glow
- very moisturizing
- definitely fades some superficial hyperpigmentation e.g. acne marks after 6 months
- contains no drying alcohol which is in cf phloretin

Cons:
- makes you look oily and shiny for a whole day even after I wash my face with facial cleanser at night. I limit my usage from 4 drops in the winter to 2 drops now in the summer, but my face is still very shiny and sweaty looking, which is embarrassing for me
- causes blackheads and pimples in places where I never get them
- does not help with fine lines

Storage:
I keep my bottle in an air tight metal container in a fridge, which keeps it fresh and clear looking for around 3 months. Sadly, if I can only use 2 drops every morning because of the oiliness, I will probably have a half or a third of bottle left turning yellow and wasted.

on 4/6/2015 4:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

My skin (Asian): combo (drier in winter months and as I get older, less and less oily in t-zone). Sun damage on cheeks and prone to redness/discoloration around t-zone area (primarily due to mis-doing a peel at home); a few fine lines beginning to form around inner corner of eyes. Can no longer get away with sleeping in makeup and when i don't take care of my skin, it can look crepey...

Packaging: dark brown, glass bottle w/ dropper

Texture: thin, runny, barely yellow, clear liquid that smells like hot dogs (identical in texture, color and smell to Skinceuticals')

Usage: applied once in AM (about 4-6 drops) > let absorb for a minute or less > apply sunscreen (Allie Extra UV Long Keep Gel SPF 50 PA++++). My first bottle, I applied both morning and night; currently with this second bottle, I've just been applying in the morning but i may up to twice a day again for better results.

Effect: I had first tried CSS' C+E Ferulic serum which brightened up my skin and gave the skin texture a more youthful, firm look. I then ordered CSS' Vit C 20% AOX which allowed me to maintain the brightness, improved skin texture and tone; however, the serum didn't improve my skin any further. I finished the bottle and am now back to using the C+E Ferulic which seems to work better for me.

Price: waaaaaay cheaper than Skinceuticals CE Ferulic (which I tried years ago) and definitely just as effective so worth at least a try imho.

Bottom Line: effective, affordable, and I've already repurchased...

on 9/21/2012 12:52:00 PM

I decided to try CE Ferulic serum after an extensive research and reviews by various bloggers. CE Ferulic is said to protect from photo aging and possibly address age and brown spots, and hyperpigmentation. It is a light yellow watery serum that sinks into a face fast. It has not got any offensive lingering smells. It made my face slightly shiny and sticky. My face looked all right. I did not have any bumps or breakouts and did not notice any significant lightening. However, this product gave my skin an yellowish-orange tint. This is the reason I give a lower rating. I wonder whether or not anyone else has something similar.

on 11/10/2011 2:29:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is simply an awesome product. I've used the Skinceuticals CE Ferulic many times, ordered from different sources... and it's always oxidized! Whether it's light yellow or deep yellow in color or whether it smells slightly of hotdogs or strongly, I have never found a fresh Skinceuticals CE Ferulic from any where... and that's after spending close to $140! I love the CSS version. First, it's the same exact formulation. Second, nothing I've received from them ever looked or smelled like it's oxidized. Third, the shipping is free, making it even more cost effective... and they ship super fast! Wonderful product. (As an aside, I've also used the CSS AOX 20, also seems to be an exact dupe of the Skinceuticals version).

on 6/13/2011 9:35:00 PM

Because of the price of skinceuticals serums I was looking for an alternative. I buy this off of Amazon. I have tried their brands CE ferulic, AOX 20 antioxidant and their Phloretin. Their CE Ferulic is by far the best. the other two are fine, didn't make my skin worse, but for me I notice a big difference and "glow" with this product. Put it this way when I use this product people compliment my skin. I store it in the fridge to prevent oxidation (it comes clear-a sign of a fresh batch) although towards the end sometimes crystals appear so I just shake it up. Their costumer service is helpful too. I have ordered this about 3 times and a bottle seems to last me a couple of months. I also order phloretin powder to stick in it. I try other vitamin c serums and always come back to this.