Redken Extreme CAT Protein Therapy Treatment (2011 formula with IPN)

4.3

Aqua (Water), Magnesium Sulfate, Laureth 23, Taurine, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Phenoxyethanol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Methylparaben, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Ethylparaben, Parfum (Fragrance), Polyquaternium 10, Propylparaben, Arginine HCl, Lysine Hydrochloride, Linalool

I have been using redken extreme CAT protein treatment for many years! A hairdresser recommended it and it's really helped my highlighted hair. I find I go through spurts of using it and not using it and really see an improvement in my hair when I do. I think I end up stopping using it due to the slight inconvenience of needing to let it sit on the hair for a little while (kind of a pain but well worth it!). Also, the bottle is difficult to hold and spray, especially when you're hands are wet! But the product itself is amazing. It definitely helps to make my hair feel healthier and cuts down on the breakage. I have been warned not to use it too much but personally have not experienced this. I use it about once/ week when I remember to.

Looooove! This has helped my hair A LOT! Only about two months ago I couldn't even do a cold blow dry on my hair without it curling and frizz itself up and be super dry. But then I went to a good hair salon which recommended me this and my hair is so good now. Now I can even do a normal blow dry even though my hairdresser recommended me to do a cold one just to be on the safe safe (there´s not a point in testing your hair's limit).

The only thing I don't like is the packaging. The fact that it is a spray is fine, but the spray is so centered and weird so it is a little difficult to get it even. The spray should be a little more "fluffy".. Other than that it's great! I am ready to buy number two.

But be careful to use this too much. Don't use it more than twice a week and make sure to use a deep conditioner afterwards since protein products doesn't make your hair soft, only stronger. If you don't combine this with a good conditioner, your hair will only become stronger, dry and "hard" and then it can also break off.

To Read all 26 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/2/2016 6:49:00 AM

love this product! my hair is extremely damaged and fried from years of chemical abuse plus a recent bleach and dye job where the colorist left them on for too long. im in the process of regaining my hair health with Olaplex plus redken cat and anti snap products. i use the cat (with 5 mind steaming) after washing off the olaplex treatments, followed by a deep conditioning treatment and I do this every time i wash. im going to try using the cat overnight as suggested by a hairstylist too. but be wary that since the cat is a protein treatment, cut back on the usage once you've addressed your protein deficiency probs ☺

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I had to stop by and give a shout out to this stuff. I used to use it back in the day when I was bleaching my hair regularly. Stopped using it somewhere along the line and had resigned myself to the fact that my hair was just going to be a lifeless fuzzball if I wanted to get highlights. When I think about all the money I've spent on products I get a little bitter that not a single one of my stylists recommended this or any protein treatment to me. It has been a godsend. My hair is very fine and very highlighted, and I'm so happy with the results of using this just a few times I could cry.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

also I should also mention that you must use a great moister rich conditioner with this and rinse well. Too much protein without moister = horrible crunchy hair with this stuff. Good luck.

on 8/2/2014 4:22:00 AM

I use the whole Redken Extreme line but this is the only product I'm not sure about. My hair feels sort of stiff afterwards and the spray bottle is awkward to use

on 4/29/2014 9:51:00 AM

I noticed that this product appears to have a dup or a previously released version of the product on this site. This review is for the product currrently listed on the Redken site as the "Extreme CAT - Strengthening Hairspray" with IPN in the ingredient list (Interlock Protein Network). It's not a "hairspray" meant for styling hold; it's a protein treatment you put in your hair while it's damp after your shampoo. Historically, my hair has absolutely hated protein. I thought I was going to lose every strand on my head while I was using Aveda's repair shampoo and conditioner, the same with the Kera-products for blondes from Paul Mitchell. Complete disasters. Fast forward 2 years and a lot of haircolors (and a little bleach) later and I have hair that is falling out, and this time I can't blame the protein (because I make sure there is none in my shampoo and conditioner). At this point, I'm pretty sure my hair could use a little dose of protein. Up until 2 months ago, I had been an Aveda salon customer, and I recalled my stylist selling me a "treatment" at the bowl many times after we'd colored. I had thought the first time that it was going to be a thick, rich conditioning type treatment - but it was a thin consistency spray. Putting 2 & 2 together...I figured this treatment might be similar, and I can do it at home for a fraction of the cost. I figured right. I shampooed my hair with L'oreal's Oleo shampoo, squeezed out the excess water, and sprayed this in all over. I put a shower cap over it and tended to other shower business while it sat. I rinse it out after about 3-4 minutes and conditioned with L'oreal's Oleo masque. My hair feels different, in a good way, and I had little to no fallout when combing it out and then blowdrying. This morning I shoke it out off the bun I set it in overnight, and it has more volume and my waves/ curls (from the bun) are better defined than usual. I think it really did improve the health of my hair. I feels better to the touch too. More about the product itself: there is enough in the bottle for many treatments, so for $17, this is a great buy compared to having this service performed in a salon. The fragrance is mild and not at all unpleasant. The bottle itself could use some grip-y things on the sides to make it easier to hold, but that was easily remedied by holding it with a washcloth instead of my wet hands. I would recommend using a VERY deep conditioner afterwards; believe it or not, I don't think the L'oreal Oleo masque was deep enough - I had to use a lot of my Pureology leave-in spray to compensate. I would absolutely recommend this product for anyone experiencing a lot of breakage/damage/fall-out. I would not recommend using it too frequently, as evidenced by my earlier unfortunate run-ins with protein, but once or twice a month could make a huge difference in the health of your hair.

on 1/30/2014 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have baby fine hair. I use this as a thickener or a root lifter on dry hair. It only take a little but it really adds body. Too much makes my hair flyaway. I wrote an in depth article about it and other products I like at http://www.anniesnuggets.com/2011/01/farrah-hair.html

on 12/28/2013 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I use this as some reviewers has described it should be used if you want salon-results;
3 x 4 minutes (apply at let be in four minutes then rinse and apply again and let be in four minutes - 3 times)
But I believe that my thin hair would be better of if I only use it 2x4 times, cause when I tried it 3x4 minutes my hair was a mess even after 2 hair treatments and conditiner..
Anyway, it works well if you don't overdo it, so I think I'll buy it again - it's a fair price.

on 10/10/2013 6:44:00 PM

I'm have waist length hair and for years bleached the too half platinum with relatively low damage. I would use Redken Anti Snap on it every three washes or so and this kept the condition very good. Then I went to a hairdresser who put bleach on the length and not just the roots and my once healthy hair turned straw-like. After a month and a half of using the CAT spray my hair finally returned to normal but it was dicey and I was certain my hair would never feel normal again. If your hair has been fried this product can save it. Just be patient, don't use heat to style your hair and try to wash twice a week max with non-sulfate shampoo and conditioner.