Real Techniques Core Collection

Real Techniques Core Collection

4.5

on 5/23/2018 4:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Essential and high quality, and for my basic makeup needs, they're in fact all the brushes that I own. I use the buffing brush the most, to apply foundation, setting powder, and everything else that requires a whole-face application. Contour brush the second, to apply blushes and occasionally to contour. The detailer brush is great for applying concealer and eye shadow. I hardly ever use the pointed foundation brush but I should probably use it more to build coverage in troubling areas. I wash them weekly and they're still in great condition. I love the storage case the product came with and use it everyday, although it's hard to clean and it's got smudges of makeup all over it now...Overall I highly recommend them for beginners and everyone else.

Update 9/12/2018:

The brushes are still great, however, the surfaces of the handle/black plastic/rubber parts of them have...shrunk? They look wrinkly. Not sure if it's because I never try to avoid getting those parts wet. But it's purely a cosmetic issue and I'm not changing my review or rating of the product because of it. I've also found a new use for the pointed foundation brush, I use it to apply liquid foundation to my face first, then use a sponge to blend. I think by doing so I save some foundation from being absorbed into the sponge.

on 1/18/2017 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I enjoy the two larger brushes in this set - I use the largest for powder to set my makeup and the other for highlight. Both are beautiful and soft and feel so luxurious!

I am not a fan of the two smaller brushes - the flat foundation brush is just not what I'd use to apply foundation and I can't seem to find any other use for it, and the lip brush is ok, but it's rare that I require lip brushes to put my lip products on.

Despite that, this set is worth it! I have washed them countless times but they don't shed and are still so soft!

on 12/6/2016 4:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Probably the most popular brush set in the world.
Got this set three years ago, been using the brushes daily and they're still in great condition.
Really soft, really good at applying products, extremelly durable and at a great price!
What's more to ask? <3

on 12/5/2016 6:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This brush set is a godsend for somebody like me. Somebody who wants great quality brushes without them costing an arm and a leg.

I got the set for about 13 dollars. You get four brushes and a stand which is incredibly useful, more useful than you initially think it's going to be. just to compare: some of Sigma's brushes can be bought for 10 dollars each, so you're really getting great value for money.

My biggest worry when I first got this set was the shedding. I cannot stand that more than anything, no matter how good a brush is. It's my biggest pet peeve. Luckily I didn't encounter this with these! I wasn't expecting them to shed, anyway, because I own the RT stippling brush and that one is possibly my holy grail.

The brushes aren't the world's softest but are still soft enough for my requirements. I LOVE the design - the bright colours are so attractive, and every part - both the rubbery ends and the metal part of the brush itself - are sturdy and do not break or scratch easily.

On to the individual brushes. I'd just like to mention that if you're a beginner worrying over whether or not you'll use all the brushes or if you think they'd be too difficult to use, and should be reserved for the more experienced beauty gurus, fear not. I had the same doubts but went for it anyway, and it's one of my best beauty buys.

**BUFFING BRUSH**: I use this to set my makeup with powder (from the Body Shop). It's big enough to apply powder quickly and is effective at buffing the powder into the skin. I sometimes use this to apply blush.

**CONTOUR BRUSH**: when I first saw this I wondered how this would be used for contouring or applying blush/highlight as the shape of it looks impractical. Turns it out it's actually perfect for applying these products. I use this to apply my blush. I very rarely contour but if I do its with this.

**CONCEALER BRUSH**: this is the one I least use out of all of them, but that's because of my acne. I've got so many scars that if I used this tiny thing to conceal all my blemishes I'd still be going till the next day. It IS effective for spot concealing, though.

**POINTED FOUNDATION BRUSH**: I don't really use this for foundation (I have my stippling brush for that) - however, I have pretty bad under eye circles and this thing provides full coverage as it doesn't soak up the product and kind of "pats" it down. This is my favourite of the four, and quite honestly, I couldn't live without it. My dark circles are quite sunken in and have a 'groove' under them, but this thing along with my Inglot concealer provide such a full coverage that even this line is blurred out. Phenomenal. However, I think with regards to applying foundation it's much too small - obviously it'd probably get the job done in the end, and provide full coverage, but efficiency isn't its biggest strength in that department. It's also good for priming eyelids as well.

The stand is great for drying the brushes upside down. There are some extra places to put other brushes, so with the stippling brush and some of my essential eyeshadow brushes, I can store hem neatly together and have no need for a cup to hold them all. It doesn't seem too sturdy, but it really is.

What more can I say? 5/5.

on 8/20/2016 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've had these brushes for almost 2 years now. It took me so long to sit down and write a review because they are so versatile, but to be quite honest they're not the best in their game, even on the affordable side, at least for my preference anyway. I finally figured out the perfect way to utilise every single one of them, so here it is, finally.
Some general pointers:
- The bristles are very high quality, I've never had a hair shed on me in the whole 2 years I've had them. They pick up and apply products very very well, and do not soak up product at all. How much you pick up is how much you're going to apply on your face. I never worry about wasting foundation when using them. They wash well, dry phenomenally fast. Every brush is decently packed with bristles, none of them is flimsy, all very firm and substantial.
- They're not the softest brushes out there. Especially the contour brush and the buffing brush. Compare to the expert face brush of the same brand, and say some ELF, Coastal Scents, BHcosmetics brushes, the contour brush in particular I feel so scratchy. I have dry skin on the side of my face, so I dare not contour or even use it to apply blushes. I use it exclusively to set my under eye concealer or target powder on more oily area, and it works amazing. The buffing brush works, I do love the way it spreads out foundation, but the the bristles are just not as soft, so I prefer the Expert Face brush. In case of the other two brushes however, the firm bristles work in their advantage. I love using the detailer brush for spot concealer, just a tiny bit of concealer at a time, building up carefully. The pointed foundation brush is way too small for foundation, I use it to put concealer or foundation on from time to time, but I always have to use another brush to blend the product out. Admittedly, it's my least used brush of the four, and out of my entire brush collection, to be honest.
- The handles are very nice, I love how the ferrule covers nearly 2/3 of the length of every brush. It's just a lot more sturdy and lasts longer that way. I've had brushes where the metal/alloy ferrule is merely glued to the wooden handles and they just broke off, and I fond it very irritating. Even though the writing on them do rub off over time, they hardly have any scratch or dent, no fading or chipping paint whatsoever. I was afraid that the rubber end will get scratched or ripped, but that hasn't happened yet. They're more tactile so they help the bigger brushes stand on their end well, but they do collect dust/lint easily.
- Since I have more brushes now, I dry them upside down on a brush tree, but the panoramic case is still very useful when I have a few extra odd brushes that don't fit on the brush tree, or when I travel. I can fit up to 8 brushes in there, and for travelling it's all I need really.

Overall, I think this is a great brush set to get when you just started getting into makeup, and they're still great even when you've acquired more brushes later on. Since they're so versatile, I'm sure anybody can find some use for them. If some of them break or the bristles go looose, I'll definitely repurchase, especially when the new brushes look so nice in their much brighter colouring.

on 8/9/2016 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

amazing brushes from the ds. had mine for over 2years now still look brand new every time they are washed

on 6/9/2016 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

A GREAT value, the Buffing Brush has pretty much changed my life (I use it with my thicker liquid foundations and they don't cake up at all but still retain full coverage), and the Highlight-Contour Brush has been great for me to use with setting powder on specific areas of my face. The Foundation Brush is okay for patting in concealer, but I can't imagine using it for foundation. I haven't used the smallest brush only because I already had a lot of little brushes, lol. I love this set. The brushes have flat-bottom handles which makes them easy to stand up on the counter. The bristles are soft and haven't fallen out or become scratchy despite washing them a bunch of times. I always wanted to try RT brushes and this was a really affordable way to do so.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I have mixed feelings over these brushes as I like 2 of them and do not understand the other 2! Love the little brush holder case thing that they come in though. I purchased these to start me up in make-up and immediately took to the buffing brush for applying my liquid foundations and the contour brush for blending out my contour and a controlled application of blush and highlighter, however, I found the foundation brush too small for foundation and too flimsy to apply concealer with, it just wouldn't pick up enough product and it applied very streaky and just terrible! The lip/concealer brush I just didn't care for, as a matter of fact, this has only been used maybe 5 times since I purchased these brushes 2 years ago.

The pricing of these brushes is varied depending on where you purchase from. I bought directly from the real techniques site so it worked out cheaper for me than going to the drugstore/beauty store to purchase these. I'm seen them for £21 in Boots and my jaw literally dropped!

I have washed these brushes a gazillion times and haven't had any issues with them shedding or coming apart which is always nice. The brushes are still very steady too and the quality hasn't decreased at all.

Overall, I would repurchase but would really like to see the buffing and contour brushes sold separately as these are the ones that I find myself reaching for. 100% recommend!

on 4/5/2016 1:34:00 AM

These brushes are LIFE! They're so soft and does a really good job with blending. I would also recommend their sponge, great dupe for the beauty blender. I lost these brushes and I seriously thought my life was over I cried lol.

WOW just WOW. I love these brushes so much that i already purchased a second set. They feel nice, are sturdy and work amazingly. They're also very easy to clean and have not shed. The travel case is a nice plus that has been useful for me. I have the original and the new core collection and they're both amazing. I use the buffing brushes to buff out my contour and blend everything. I use one contour brush for contour powder and the other for highlighter and they both work AMAZING. I even used one to set under eye powder and it worked very well. I used one detailer brush for small detailed contouring like the nose but now i use both for lip brushes. The only brushes i don't use are the foundation brushes because i prefer makeup sponges but they do work nicely for concealer! its about 7.50 Canadian after taxes per brush which can seem a little high but honestly, these brushes are so worth it! I'll definitely be purchasing more of the RT brushes!

Popular Makeup Brushes