CHANEL Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Makeup Base

CHANEL Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Makeup Base

4.4

Cyclopentasiloxane,Dimethicone, Silica, Ozokerite, Methoxycinnamate, Dimethyl Silylate, Polymethylsilsequioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Parfum, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbal Palmitate, Glyceryl, Stearate, BHT, Glyceryl Oleate, Citric Acid, [ /- (May contain)CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77491, CI 77499 (Iron oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Mica]

on 8/22/2011 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I've splurged on the Chanel Soleil Tan Bronzing Makeup Base after watching the Chapman sisters aka Pixiwoo and DRBrooklyn in YT videos in which they were using it and/or raving about it. But I got the best use of the product after I watched Lisa Eldridge's one (link =>

I love this product. Love its consistency and its scent. It's about one or two shades darker than my skintone (MAC NC40/MUFE HD 128) so I can use it for contouring (though I find it a bit orangey for that puprpose) but by using Lisa's method of application, it really brightens my complexion ( => swirl a kabuki brush into the cream and put most of it on the back of the hand to sheer it out, before actually using it on your face). In the morning, I look very ashy, with a dead-like face (no kidding here, it's that bad!!) but the Soleil Tan gives me a beautiful glow without any shimmer, which I really like.
I sometimes use it in place of my foundation and mix my concealer with what's left of product on the back of my hand to get a perfect color match. A touch of blush to complete and I look as if my complexion is naturally good (which is not the case of course).
At 37.50, this is not a cheap, but since you really get a lot of product - which will last you a long time - I don't think it's *that* expensive at the end. I've been using this regularly for 6 months now, and I'm still far from reaching the half of it.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Bronze Universel De Chanel Sun Illuminator is the old name for this product and older reviews can be found under that listing.

Love! Absolutely Love this product! I was using N.Y.C. Sunny because it too was a light bronzer with no shimmer, but I started breaking out from using it daily. When I purchased Vitalumiere Aqua I went ahead and added this to my cart and hoped for the best.

It's not a mousse or a cream, but a slightly harden cream that depending how heavily you swirl your brush on it equals to how much product you get. So very easy to get as little or as much that you personally need. I don't need that much in the winter so just a few dabs of my brush is enough in the Winter, one complete swirl enough for summer. You do need to use a brush with this product, I prefer the MAC 168 since I use this in place of blush.

Also this is a bronzer base so it will add dimension but look like you haven't really applied anything at all. So for daily use that's great, if I want to kick it up a notch I apply MAC Gold Deposit over top to get a deeper color and the highlight from the MSF.

I'm a Neutral 20-25 so depending on what I'm wearing (cloth-wise) can really determine if it will be to warm for me. I prefer to wear browns and I don't have any issues of this looking orange. But if I wear black or cooler colored clothing I start seeing the orange that some mention.

The only issue I have is the size of the container, we travel to the beach a lot in the summer and this is just to big to travel with. So after hearing that Too Faced Aqua Bunny is a dupe of this I went and picked one up. Aqua bunny is the same texture but darker and has a slight shimmer to it, for travel I'm just going to use N.Y.C. in the place of this until Chanel re-releases the small container they did in their 2009 collection.

on 1/23/2013 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Soleil Tan De Chanel, also known by its other name Bronze Universel, is a cream-based bronzer. The texture of it feels as smooth as butter, and when swiped on my hand it feels slightly gel-like. When I apply and buff this into my cheeks, it blends into a very smooth velvet finish. It blends onto the skin beautifully well unlike other cream products that can just sit on the skin and ruin foundation underneath by causing a hole, it glides like silk on my cheeks. I would say that the finish of it is satin, almost totally matte but not quite. Oh, and it also has a very fresh scent to it too!

The colour of Soleil Tan De Chanel is a gorgeous golden tan, very warm-based. As Im medium-skinned, it looks very flattering, but I also put some on my sister, who is paler (NW25) and it looked so good! I obviously use it as a bronzer and also as a contour with a light hand. It does wonders to warm up my complexion, adding a hit of colour and a healthy glow. There is ZERO glitter or shimmer in the bronzer, which is great! You can leave your cheeks with the Soleil Tan De Chanel on, or you can also add highlighter and/or blush over the top without any streaking.

The key I have found to using it for flawless, easy results is to use a synthetic face brush. I dip the brush in the bronzer around 3 times, then start to stipple it on my cheeks. I repeat this method if I want a little bit more colour, stippling and buffing it in gently. Its easy to get a light or darker look using this method of application. I love to use my Sigma F84 for this purpose (any of the Sigmax HD brushes will work well for application).

Soleil Tan De Chanel is priced at 29, which may seem very expensive, but so worth it, because you get a full 30g or product, considering most bronzers contain only a measly 9g!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Trumpet sound: Holy Grail for real. I'm on my 2nd jar and I use this literaly every single day. Let me tell you, since I purchased this I stopped using foundation. I don't wear it anymore, the bronzer has replaced it. I apply it with MAC big stippling brush and that's that. It looks natural and with foundation I never had that feeling. After applying the bronzer, I contour, apply blush and highlighter (see my reviews for Benefit highlighter) and that's it for my face. It looks fantastic, I cannot rave enough. Think it's expensive? This jar last you sooo long so do the maths. My absolute staple for my everyday look ! Update 14/11/2012: I'm on my 3rd or 4th jar (can't remember) and still loving it !! Update 12/02/2013: I just started a new jar and I'm absolutely still using this every day.The jar last so long, I was excited to buy a new one at the Chanel counter.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I probably reach for this product more than anything else in my makeup stash -- even foundation! Bare skin or full face, I always dab a little bit of Soleil Tan de Chanel on. It adds the perfect amount of warmth to the skin and has a consistency that blends into the most natural finish.

The formula is moussey and a little bit creamy, and very forgiving. It's kind of that perfect place between a gel and a cream, and you can basically sheer this out as much as you would like. Pigmentation is light but not insubstantial. It has color, but it blends out subtlely. It is buildable. On the skin, this feels light and nonexistent. If I'm not wearing other base makeup, it's easy to forget I even have bronzer on!

This doesn't work for me as a contour, and I only contour once in a blue moon, anyways. I've seen people with pale complexions use this for some light chiseling, but I only use this to add warmth to my face where some sun exposure would naturally tan me -- and I add warmth every day as long as I leave the house to some capacity. If I'm skipping the heavy eyeshadow or eyeliner, I also use this to warm up my eyelids and bring my whole look together. Here's basically what I do:

Using my fingers, I 'scoop' a tiny bit out (like a generous swatch where there just a little extra sticking to your fingers) and then I dab most of the bronzer on the bridge of my nose and along the tops of my cheeks, concentrating most of the bronzer in that cheek area right by my nose. Basically, if you've ever used blackhead strips, I dab the bronzer in that general area, but maybe a little further out as well. And then I just blend it out with a tapered brush without worrying too much about keeping within any boundaries. The formula is pretty foolproof and totally forgiving. It would take some serious work to mess up. Any remainder, I'll blend along my forehead and chin. If I'm doing eyes, I'll just dip my ring fingers and then tap it all over my lids. And honestly, I'll just rub this on wherever else I'm feeling that day, as well.

I can't picture my routine without this product. It's easy, it's versatile, it's natural looking, and it's lasted me so long. Because I'm always digging into this, it does collect some minute dust and lint, though nothing that's compromised the formula or affected application. Of course, I use clean fingers when I dip in :)

To cover some other bases:

Pricing -- $50 isn't absolutely terrible for a high-end bronzer (Guerlain or Tom Ford, anyone??), especially considering you get a ton of product and a little goes a long way. I'm willing to splurge, especially because I've saved money I very nearly spent on other bronzers, if not for the knowledge that I had my Chanel puck waiting for me at home. If that seems ridiculous to you, though, Sonia Kashuk has a pretty good dupe, and so does Bourjois (though that may have been discontinued)

Packaging -- The packaging is to die for -- sturdy and round and pretty big, with the signature Chanel look. It's like a giant glamorous puck. Straightforward. Classy. Not necessarily travel-friendly because it's so big. There's a second lid inside with a tab to lift it. If you accidentally replace the lid with the tab facing inwards, getting it out is hard.

PROS
- Easy to play with
- Versatile and forgiving
- So natural looking
- Warm toned without becoming orange
- Luxe feel
- Pretty scent -- standard Chanel fragrance (but fragrance might be a con for others!)

CONS
- Only one shade available, and it's not universal to all skin tones
- Fragrance might cause irritation for people with very sensitive skin
- It's a cream product, so it can attract lint and small debris, but nothing horrible
- Big puck, so it's not super travel-friendly
- Not dark or pigmented enough for most contouring

on 10/29/2016 10:56:00 AM

My first purchase from Chanel beauty brand and one of the best high end bronzer products in the market in my opinion!

A bit of background info: oily combo skin type, slightly sensitive skin user and blemish / acne prone. I prefer wearing full faced makeup, and i live in humid conditions ranging about 91.3°F on an average day.

Shade comparisons:
- NC35 MAC pro longwear
- Estee lauder Double wear foundation 3w1 Tawny

Pros:
+ packaging is sleek, convenient, feels luxurious
+ a little product goes a very long way
+ long lasting
+ easy to blend
+ buildable coverage
+ nice light scent, not too overpowering

Cons:
- literally none (except the price probably but Chanel is a high end brand so i can't argue with that)

This product is extremely blendable, and doesn't give you any patchiness! I usually use my Real Techinques foundation buffing brush to buff the product or with my damp beauty blender. Both methods work quite well and i think it depends on your preference!

I have medium skin and even though this bronzer only comes in one colour, I could still see the product on my skin and gave me a very nice, subtle warm bronze look. You can definitely build up the coverage if you want to and still looks natural and not too overdone.

I have oily combo skin and usually i will get oily throughout the day, however i can still see my bronzer very well and not sliding off my face! I do recommend setting it with a powder based bronzer (i used the stila's stay all day bronzer) to lightly set it and it works just fine for me.

Overall i think its a great product and i used it more than 5 times and i barely scratched the surface, so i'm guessing this will last me a few years but i've never been so pleased by a product!

The only thing that would hinder me from purchasing would be the price, as i live outside of US and i paid $100 for this item, but considering the usage and the quality of the product, i think i'd still repurchase if i ever run out of it. So i'm giving it a 4/5 (because of its hefty price).

Hope this helps!

on 9/29/2012 5:38:00 PM

I can see how this might require a bit of trial and error, but once you're comfortable with this product you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Having watched several youtube videos that hailed this as the second coming, I wanted to try it but the price on Amazon was over $100. However, if purchased directly from the Chanel website or a Chanel counter, then it's around $48. Yes, it's pricey, but rest assured it will last a really long time because it's dense and a little goes a very long way. I'm naturally fair. Though I burn easily, it is possible for me to tan if I do so very gradually. This product is literally the color I turned back in the days when I tanned: a pinkish bronze. It is far and away the most natural tan color I've ever come across. It definitely takes a light hand and quite a bit of blending to achieve the best results. It's completely buildable, so use sparingly at first. I use this with a MAC 109 brush, and lightly bounce the bristles into the product - a well-designed shallow jar - and then I go directly on to my face. I skip using the back of my hand to disperse the product, as a lot of pale folks do, because it seems like such a waste; just don't pick up so much product, and use a light touch when you apply it. The density of the 109 makes it easy to blend, so that helps. There's no shimmer and the consistency is very smooth. While it's lovely for contouring, I use it to help mask my ruddy complexion by using it as a base to warm up my entire face. It doesn't provide much coverage, but that's not really the purpose. I use this beneath my foundation as an all-over color, and sometimes I use it on top for contouring. It's one of the few cream bronzers that looks just as beautiful on top of powder as it does beneath. It reminded me of why I used to ignore all the warnings and tan in the sun. It really makes my green eyes stand out and my teeth look whiter - and not a hint of fake bake about it! Plus, unlike a real tan, it leaves my skin supple and luminous. This is an outstanding product if you experiment with it a bit - it's really not as difficult as it may seem, and it's well worth the effort!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

It's so expensive but my goodness is it WORTH IT. The absolute best cream bronzer out there. It is not orange, so my fair girls out there, this will work for you. It is so natural looking and blends effortlessly onto the skin. I'm an NC40-42 and it looks so good! Nothing but pros with this product. A great dupe for this is the Sonia Kashuk cream bronzer. It will not disappoint.

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

I only recently pulled this out from the back of my drawer to try again. Good stuff. I use it as a makeup base, after moisturiser but before foundation, and it makes my makeup perfect. I am pale and so this way it's not too dark on me. Makes my pores look teensy weeny. That's all I can say really. It is quite pricey and not easy to cart around (heavy glass jar) but there is no need anyway as it lasts all day and keeps my makeup fresh. Worth every penny (and there were quite a few pennies - about 3200 from what I recall).

I never thought that by looking at this product in the container that it would work on my olive medium skin tone without looking orangey. It's probably the most deceitful product in that you can't appreciate the effects until you apply it to your face. I had been using TooFaced Chocolate Soleil Matte bronzing powder previously and was unable to find this at a local counter. The last SA at a semi-local counter laughed when I asked if they had it in stock.
I had to order it online via Nordstrom. I am SO glad i did. This product really is amazing. It's essentially a cream formula of Hourglass Radiant IF HG was more pigmented. In terms of flattering and perfecting the skintone its very similar. I'm a huge fan of the HG ambient lighting powders.

This is easily buildable mostly depending on what brush you use. I prefer the MAC 187 duo-fibre brush to provide a very airbrushed appearance without depositing too much product at once. Based on the very dense quality of this product, I think this one container will last at least a year. It cost 48.00 USD if memory serves and I would most definitely buy a replacement if it disappeared etc. I think most fans of the product would pay twice it's sticker price if they marked it up that much.

The texture is perfect, it just glides smoothly over the skin giving it the most glow, bronzed natural healthy finish. It has a faint but pleasant smell that reminds me of suntan lotion. In a good way- faintly coconutty/aloe based. I will never be without this product having been spoiled now. It really is that good.