New York Color City Curls Curling Mascara

City Curls Curling Mascara

3.6

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

It ok. Strangely the dollar one is much better. This one get a lot of mascara gunk. So wasted product. I find i have to take a plain mascara brush to smooth it out but once it fix it nice. But too much work.

on 4/23/2017 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have stubby, straight, sparse Asian lashes, so I disregard claims that any mascara will curl your lashes. I curl with the shu eumura before and after any mascara application. This mascara is noticeably better at holding the curl than others in my current roster (tarte; benefit they're real; benefit tinted primer; Maybelline full n soft; cover girl lash blast orange; and some tube called lash magic that I think I liked but have misplaced in one of the pockets of a handbag or coat). This is dark and cheap and lengthening without being spidery.

You do need to wipe off excess to avoid clumps, but I do that with all mascaras. The only issue I have is that it flaked a bit onto the middle of my eyelids, but I think that was due to excess product still on the wand or lashes that were still wet from inserting contacts. I can always prime or powder before applying. And, unlike tarte (spidery straight droopy lashes) this makes my lashes look dramatic and eye opening due to the holding of the curl and at the same time more natural and feathery than the typical volumizing formulas I use.

It's occurring to me that most mascaras start with water and wax or water and poly acrylic type ingredient and I tend to like a mascara for its brush more than it's formulation, so why not spend less? The curved brush reminds me of high school and is manageable. And, this is a small matter, but I like the fact that it's not a monster of a tube and can stand upright as I have limited space.

Note: it's thicker/drier and lighter than most current formulations which helps with ease of application. Only one or two coats.

My eyes are pretty sensitive to a lot of mascaras and I usually do not switch from what I am currently using, which is Maybelline "Define-A-Lash". However, that mascara runs right around $8-10 depending on where it is purchased, and it lasts me approximately 6-8 weeks before I have to replace it, due to either using it all up or it getting a little old and smelly thus it begins to irritate my eyes and cause some eyelash loss. Soooooo, a week ago I was at Dollar General Store and saw the NYC City Curls Mascara in it's pretty little pink tube with silver writing and purchased it on a whim. I've used it 4-5 times now with great success. So far, I have experienced absolutely no irritation to my eyes and no eyelash breakage. The formula does do the trick when it comes to curling my somewhat long lashes and I just need to use one coat. The formula IS a bit thicker than I like, but I solve that problem by swiping a little of it off the brush on the inside of the tube. I did apply a second coat a couple times which was a bit tricky with the curved brush and thicker formula, but the end result was more oomph to the lashes and more volume. Overall I feel this is a great little go to mascara with a terrific price tag! I will repurchase. The only reason I am giving it a 4 instead of a 5 rating is because it only comes in the color "Extreme Black" and it also flakes just a tiny bit. Otherwise it's perfect for me!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This mascara did not hold curl and was not very impressive to me, far as adding length or volume. It curled nicely when first applied but a few hours later the curl was lost. It was average far as length and volume and nothing about it impressed me enough to want to buy it again. I did give it quite a few tries to see if it would grow on me but it didn't.
One of my absolute favorite mascaras is NYC's Instant Lash. For a dollar it rocks. I thought I would try another NYC mascara and this one was really disappointing in comparison to the Instant Lash.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love N.Y.C.'s City Curls mascara! It's got a slightly curved brush that's a good size (not huge & unwieldy). The Black is a true black. It's just under $3 @ WalMart & Target. It's got a cute pink tube, too! I love how affordable it is plus the wear is fabulous. It goes on easily & doesn't flake or make panda eyes like some other brands. It curls my already semi-curly & long lashes nicely for an extra-flirty effect. It adds lush thickness w/out clumps. I highly recommend it!

on 3/22/2015 5:44:00 AM

In the scale of oomph, from minimalist to dramatics, for the mascara I have tried so far: shu basic ( non waterproof ), maybelline lash discovery mini brush waterproof, NYC sky rise, maybelline define a lash ( waterproof ), NYC city curls, maybelline vol express colossal ( waterproof ), maybelline vol express falsie dramatic black.

Have more volume than sky rise. But with 4-5 layers, it clumps the lashes ( thus spider leg), and those clumps and other comes off, flakes. Not too serious but it flakes. For under $3. I will stay with skyrise.

wow nyc did a great job with this mascara...i never buy cheap priced mascaras and totally feel like an idiot for not picking this up sooner...3$ for a great product...what caught my eye is the pink packaging but now its the actual product...it lengthens and volumizes...one thing i dont like is how it flakes but its very little flaking and nothing noticeable...will not call this my hg tho bc covergirl flamed out mascara is my hg

a really nice mascara for a really good price. natural yet still lengthening and thickening. doesnt clump easily. cheap looking packaging but a good mascara nonetheless.

on 11/20/2014 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I have been really into trying out inexpensive beauty products lately, and unfortunately, this was a failboat. The mascara isn't horrible but it doesn't do what it claims. Instead of curling my lashes, I feel like leaves my lashes droopy. It smudges way too easily and that is an issue for someone with hereditary dark circles. This is going in the give away pile.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

If you already have naturally curly eyelashes, this product may make your eyelashes actually look shorter. So I use a lengthening mascara and then this product afterwards and that seems to work well.