Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++

Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++
Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++

on 4/27/2014 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The product is VERY ashy. I'm NW20, and it works for me, especially since the coverage is so sheer, but I can see this being a problem for anyone with more pigment. It does a wonderful job of taking the redness out of my skin however, applies smoothly, and feels fairly hydrating. I'd suggest for anyone who has nice-ish skin, but wants a more polished look. I got it to condense my every-day makeup: I use it to skip moisturizer, sunscreen and primer.

The bottle is silly. It's hard plastic with a pump, which always puts out too much product and tends to "burp" it out unevenly. I haven't finished a bottle yet, so I can't say about how efficient it is about getting out all the product. A squeeze bottle, or a standard cylinder and pump would have been better.

It has a good rating on Paula's Choice and a high SPF/PA rating, so I'm comfortable wearing it as a substitute for sunscreen on indoor days.

Overall, it's very nice. Maybe not worth 40$, but I'll be buying it again.

on 3/14/2013 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have fair skin and this shade is just perfect for me. I was reluctant to use it first because I found some of the ingredients would irritate my acne-prone skin. When I was shopping at Sephora, I decided to buy one for my mother who also has very fair skin to try out. (eh... I am making her sound like a laboratory mice) She used it for at least 2 months before I finally decided to give a try. I questioned the coverage bb creams give and if the sunscreen ingredients are sufficient. With all those put into consideration, I thought: GAHH I am breaking up from the foundation anyways, why don't I just give it a shot and see how it goes. Ever since I made that decision, I have not regretted even once for trying. Dr Jart is a really famous brand throughout Asia. However, the price is not as cute as other competing brands, such as Missia or Skin79. I do not like shopping online because I am not able to verify the expiration date and full list of ingredients. Missia and Skin79 can only be purchased online if you are in the States, so I never considered buying them (I do not know their policies but most stores require you to pay for own return shipping).
This BB cream never broke me out and it provides really great coverage. It even covers my under-eye circles nicely; I was able to save a lot of money on foundation and concealer. The consistency is a little thick, so I do not know if this would be a good option in the summer for some people. I would definitely add oil absorbing powder to set the bb cream in the summer to prevent it slipping off from sweat. I heard people using foundation primer prior to applying bb cream. I personally think this is an unnecessary step because all bb creams are built with primer/ serum/ foundation/ sunscreen, like all-in-one. You want to keep your makeups as light and simple as it could be, so your skin can "breath".
I am a LAZYYY person. In the morning, I'd just have to wash my face and put this on directly (I even skipped toner and moisturizer because I broke out terribly whenever I added those extra steps).
To see if this is the right product for your skin type, I'd suggest you to get some samples from Sephora. Try for at least 4 to 5 days straight (do not change your regular cleanser/ night serum/ or whatsoever. If you DO break out during those 5 days, you can find out who the culprit is easily) before buying the actual product.
I gave it a 4 star. I looove this product, but I still need to take 1 lippie off for its price :( It's 39 USD for 1.4 oz tube (well, I only need 1 to 1.5 pumps for the whole face... the tube lasts for a long time. I am just comparing it to the other over-the-counter bb creams)

I got a 0.06 oz sample of this from Sephora, and waited a long time to try it.
I'm not sure what a bb cream is supposed to do, so I can't rate it per my expectations (which were different). What I can say is I'm extremely happy with it, and I'm strongly debating whether it is worth the money to purchase.
It took me some tries to figure out the proper dosage and method for my skin. Once I figured it out though, it's pretty amazing.
- USAGE: For me, I found the best results happen with [ very little amounts ] [ OVER moisturizer]. I cant use it on its own at ALL, and wouldnt recommend as a replacement for moisturizer. It is an extremely dry cream, meaning it's rich & thick but doesn't glide or distribute well. Unevenness in color is quite noticeable this way. When placed over a moisturizing CREAM though (a serum didnt work for me either, sank in too quickly or made my skin sticky after use), it is just gorgeous.
- AMOUNT: This took some trial and error. I have darkish tones, but I am Korean, if that makes any difference (someone else mentioned Dr. Jart is a Korean brand). If I use too much, I can look very pallid and chalky. I found a method that gave me this impossibly amazing, pearly dust all day legit, all day and it required I use very, very little.
----- A bead the size of a fat water droplet, onto the very tip of my left ring finger. With right ring finger, I poke a side of the bead.
----- Then, I gently pat dots from bridge of my nose to ear along cheekbone. Dab, repeat on the other cheekbone. Repeat across forehead. I basically draw thin dots all along my forehead, cheeks, chin, and bridge of my nose.
----- Then (aided by the glide of pre-applied moisturizer), I GENTLY glide my fingers across from center out to connect the dots.
I am not sure how this works, but it just does. The end result is this freakishly flawless skin. A little pearly, not shiny. You may need blush because it seems to reduce redness from your skin tone. My friend said my skin looked a lot better, and it was just during this test run of the sample product.
- ROUTINE?: Well. This does not remove any steps from my morning routine. As a matter of fact, it adds to it. I still need a moisturizer, and despite the 45+++ spf, I still want the moisturizer to have at least spf30 since I use SO little of Dr. Jarts product.
What this product ultimately is, is the foundation Ive been searching for but have NEVER been able to find. Its coverage is fantastic, but it still lets my skin shine through. I do not look like a muppet (I HATE that sht). I do NOT look like Im wearing foundation at all. It is dewy, not greasy. And it is natural. And it doesnt damage my skin over time, in fact alleges to add to it. Everything I ever searched for in a foundation, I just must have been looking in the wrong place.