Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++

4.1

on 10/21/2011 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this as it serves many purposes in one shot and makes my face look fabulous.
The color may seem a bit odd looking when dispensed but it goes on my fair skin beautifully. I have no need for foundation as this one does the job. Along with the anti-aging benefits and the high SPF, this is definitely a winner in my book and I'm hooked. Those with darker skin tones or are super fair, this may not work for you. But for those of you that are mid to fair-medium, this will work great. Although this is in the "Primer" category, it serves many more purposes than a lone primer. It gives enough coverage for myself that I don't need foundation/make up among other things.
***Edit: Not sure what it is but this doesn't work for me anymore and I really don't like it. The color now seems off for my face and makes me look like I have "something" on. My goal at 42 years old: Less is more. I don't need something so heavy as it will accentuate every flaw on my face. This seems to do just that, not sure what has changed but it just doesn't work for me anymore.

tried the light-medium, the color itself had a chalky look color and weird type of cast of color when applied so wouldn't but due to mask look

This BB has nice coverage. The color seems to darken as you wear it. So beware buffing a touch of bronzer on! My biggest complaint with this product is Blackheads. I see nothing that states it's non- cominagentic (which I've likely spelled wrong).

on 7/11/2012 11:28:00 AM

I have very dry, delicate skin with pinky-red cheeks from mild rosacea. Dr. Jart's Premium Beauty Balm matched my NW15 skin pretty well. For reference, I have also been successfully matched to both Diorskin Nude and Diorskin Forever in Ivory, Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua in BR10, Nars Sheer Glow in Mont Blanc, and Benefit Oxygen Wow in Ivory. That being said, the color match is one of the very few good comments I can make about this product.

I was given a decent sample of this BB from a Sephora SA. I applied a layer to the back of my hand to make sure it matched my skin, which it more or less did. I patted the balm to clean, bare skin the first time I tried it, and I really disliked the texture. It's not quite sticky per se, but it's not a smooth texture. Also, nothing about this was hydrating for me at all. After about an hour, I rinsed the balm off and tried again.

Trial 2: I applied a thin layer of my regular moisturizer, Korres Wild Rose. After letting it sink into my skin for a few minutes, I reapplied some of the BB onto my face, and instantly felt a lot better. Now that my skin was nicely hydrated, I could concentrate on other facets of the balm. I did feel like my skin had a slightly pink-grey cast to it, but it wasn't noticeable to anyone else. I also felt it did a nice job of covering up my redness, but it didn't conceal the small PMS-related blemish I had on my chin.

After about two hours, my skin felt, again, sticky and sweaty. I had to run out the door and had no time to reapply my makeup again, so I added some of my favorite foundation powder on top, Diorskin Nude Fresh Glow. Right away, my skin brightened and the stickiness I was experiencing felt controlled.

I kept the BB on for about 8 hours, and it held up fairly well, but then again I'd set it with powder 2 hours in. However, I was glad to take it off by the day's end, and I threw the sample in the trash too. I see little point in this product. For $39, I could almost buy another bottle of my HG foundation. While I appreciated that this product has a very high SPF and forgoes using sulfates and synthetic fragrances, I felt it was otherwise useless. I shouldn't have to moisturize under and conceal/powder over a "one step" item that is meant to be multi-purpose and time-saving! I genuinely wanted to love this product, but it was pretty much disappointing. Two stars go to the gentle formulation that didn't break me out, plus the SPF 45. Overall, I would not recommend this item for girls with dry skin who need a balanced BB/foundation formula that won't leave skin feeling both tacky and in need of hydration.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I was curious about the BB Cream craze & noticed this brand seemed to be getting a lot of love from the boards. I normally use Make Up Forever Face & Body in #20 (ivory). I went to Sephora & they actually gave me a huge sample of this. I ended up being extremely disappointed w/ this though. My biggest issue is the color- I have fair skin but I'm not exactly considered ghostly pale...but this was very dark & pink! I actually didn't realize just how dark it went on me until a few hours into my day. I had my hair up & when I glanced into the mirror- it looked like I had on a foundation that was too tanned/pink on me. I wouldn't even say this is only for fair skins, I was say this is for light skin tones verging on lightly medium, especially for those who have pink undertones. If you have fair skin w/ blue undertones, this color is NOT gonna work for you. Another thing I noticed is that, this is actually thicker than a lot of foundations out there, I was expecting little to no coverage but this is has almost a thick medium coverage to it. My skins on the dry side so maybe that could be the reason it felt mask like but this just wasn't for me at all. Even if the color option gave different shades, it felt too heavy.

I'm a little conflicted about this product. On the plus side, it has surprisingly awesome coverage, staying power, ingredients, and packaging. Not so in love with the colors (looked a little pinky/chalky on my NC20 skin) or the price. The deal breaker though were the small, persistent breakouts I got while using this.

I'd tell someone to try it out, but it's not my fav.

on 1/27/2013 5:50:00 PM

I have very fair skin, so I probably should have known better than to try and use a foundation that comes in a one size matches all color. At first when I put it on it matched pretty well and I was able to lighten up the color a bit with a face powder, but after a few minutes the cream oxidizes and darkens in color, leaving a prominent foundation line on the outer parts of my face. What a shame too since I liked the formula a lot.The cream felt really great on my skin, and it definitely moisturizes. Coverage is medium to light. Not recommended for fair skin though.

on 2/5/2017 5:07:00 PM

Pros: Did not irritate my sensitive skin* the light tone matched my skin tone & left a sheer cover with a little bit of blur to my skin.* SPF 45* Fragrance Free! If you are looking for light coverage- this works great! Good rating from Paula.

Con: This left my oily skin too shiny! This would be awesome for dry to normal skin. Just too bad, I really liked how it did not irritate my rosacea! $38 at Sephora :/

on 6/6/2014 6:43:00 PM

I am OBSESSED with this product. I used to wear only Bare Minerals but it wouldn't stay on. Then I switched to Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer and it did not have enough coverage for me...it was super shiny and worst of all gave me the worst break outs!! I switched over to Too Faced tinted moisturizer and it was pretty good. THEN I made the switch to Dr Jarts by suggestion from a friend. IT IS AMAZING!! It has great coverage, feels SOO smooth on my skin, wears all day, love love love. The only reason I took away a star is because it doesn't match my skin great now that it is the summer and my skin is a shade darker. I am still pretty fair as I don't tan great and it's still to light. Bummer...I love it for the summer though, it's my fav so far.

on 6/27/2013 12:56:00 AM

I like the product and it makes my skin look a lot younger and healthier but the color is gray and ashy looking on my skin. This is surprising since I am fair and neutral. I was told that it was a one color fits all and that it self adjusts to match your skin color perfectly. It goes on gray and stays grayish. I can work some color into it with my bronzer and blush but without anything but the BB cream, my face is quite unbecoming and washed out looking. I am on the fence about whether or not I would repurchase, I mean I like the way it makes my skin look health wise but the color it horrible.