Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++

3.6

I had to come here and write a review. I have used this for years and have loved it. I ran out and ordered a new one from Sephora. All of a sudden my skin was starting acting crazy. Irritated, stinging, redness. While trying to figure out what was going on I am putting on my trusty Dr. Jart B.B. and noticed a different smell to it and thought hmm maybe that’s it? I think I still got my box and low and behold the ingredients have changed. There are chemical sunscreens added now, all kinds of citrus oils! This is a no no for sensitive skin. I’m so pissed 😠 why do they not let the consumer know when they change ingredients???? I have been struggling for a month now and dang it I’m mad. I guess from now I will be reading ingredients when I get a new supply hoping they don’t just change it all up without letting the consumer know!

on 6/6/2012 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I had such high hopes for this product and was especially intrigued by the SPF45. I have very fair skin with a slight pink tinge. I was given a sample at Sephora and this morning applied it. I wasn't bothered by the feeling of putting liquid paste on my face but I was so disappointed to see my face getting PINK and I do mean pink. I waited thinking the shade would change but it did not. I now have a very pink face next to my white neck. I don't think Sephora carries the Dr. J product that comes in different shades. Even though that product isn't SPF45, I'd give it a try. I'm so disappointed - back to SPF moisturizer, then primer, then foundation.
*********************************************************
A couple hours later, I looked in the mirror. The pink had subsided a lot. But the makeup was too dark - a definite difference between face and neck. I stopped into Sephora and asked the "expert" what she thought and her response was it's too dark. She then showed me SmashBox's BB Camera Ready in "Fair". It's SPF35. I took a sample and will try it tomorrow. So I still would not buy Dr. J but will hope for the best with SB. SPF35 isn't as good as SPF45 but it's better than a lot of other stuff. By the way, SB BB came in (I think) six shades. Fair was the lightest.

packaging
- from online pictures, the container looks like it would be bendy and soft, but it's hard plastic
- the pump squirts out the bb cream in short, rapid bursts. you have to be careful with it, or it will get all over the place
feel
- not greasy, but not really nice. it isn't irritating, but it doesn't have a soothing or comfortable feel to it. to me, it feels like some random mediocre bb cream from the drugstore
coverage/look
- the coverage is medium, but it actually makes my skin look not as nice as before, even though it covers blemishes and redness. i look more patchy and uneven with it, and honestly... it makes my skin feel dirtier :(
- finish is natural-shiny (matte, natural, shiny are the 3 categories from less shiny to more)
my skin type
- combination. normal everywhere except a bit oily in the t-zone and some dry patches and blemishes on the forehead. also i have sensitive skin and react poorly to most foundations/tinted moisturizers/bb creams.

on 1/1/2016 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Let's start with the positive: this product, in the light-medium color, actually blended well into my super pale skin, and it didn't emphasize any dry spots on my skin. Unfortunately, though, it settled into my pores, clogged them, and caused breakouts.

Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Phenyl Trimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Dipropylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Arbutin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Butylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Magnesium Sulfate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Calcium Stearate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Polysorbate 80, Propylene Glycol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Talc, Tocopheryl Acetate, Adenosine, Alcohol, Lecithin, rh-Oligopeptide-1, Soybean Oil, PVP, Platinum Powder, Steareth-20, Chrysin, N-Hydroxysuccinimide, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide. continued >>

on 11/30/2014 3:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I really don't see the point of this. It did not "adjust" to my skin tone, whether very pale or tan and I've been every shade in that spectrum this summer. Offered absolutely zero coverage for me. I ended up using it up by using it as a base and that repurposing wasn't the greatest. Working on a deluxe sample from a Sephora Favorites kit and then I'm done. Definitely will not purchase full size.

I bought this on sale for half price at Boots. Of course Boots doesn't have any testers of this product since it's in their "skincare" aisle, which is a pretty darn silly marketing choice if you ask me, so it was a completely blind buy.

The skin test on the back of my hand was quite promising-- I have very sensitive skin which can't cope with most foundations, and I didn't have any kind of reaction to it. However, I did notice that it was quite dark against my skin. Once blended in it became much more translucent and was barely visible, however, and as my hands are at least a shade or two paler than my face (I wear summer gloves in the sun because my family seems to be quite prone to sunspots, but I admit to being a bit incautious about using, or not using, sunscreen on my face-- it makes me break out) I thought that it would maybe be OK.

It turns out, predictably, it's too dark for my Illamasqua 115-120 skin. However, it's only a bit too dark, and in fact once it has settled in it isn't noticeable at all. It doesn't look too hot by itself, being too yellow for my skin tone, but with a top coat of Bare Minerals powder foundation it looks near perfect though I'd still prefer it paler. (Funnily enough I see lots of women here complaining about the "greyish" finish of many BB creams, and how nobody really has that skin colour; well, I do, and I wish this product had more of it!)

The thing I am impressed by is how well it copes with problem areas that foundations can't deal with. Because of my oily T-bar and huge pores, I have a big problem with foundation caking up in the corners of my nose, which is mostly unavoidable as my nostrils are very red and I can't avoid using concealer there. This doesn't hide either the darkness around my eyes (it isn't due to tiredness; I think it's just because I'm so white that the veins show through) nor does it hide the redness, but it evens them out and doesn't cake. It does highlight my pores a bit and it has a bit of a greasy finish on its own in some lights, but it's nothing powder can't handle and it looks beautiful under my Bare Minerals foundation-- exactly like my skin but fresh, glowing, and better.

Would I buy this product again? No. It does make my skin look nice, and I will probably use it on occasion, but I think I'll try some other Asian BB creams first. I could cope with the strange finish seeing as it does look quite nice if not examined up close, but it simply doesn't match my skin tone (for reference, I'm Illamasqua RF115-120) and I don't think that will get any easier seeing as here in the UK summer is already drawing to a close.

FINAL EDIT. While this looked super nice under my Bare Minerals foundation and I adore the dewy finish, after about five days of wearing it I broke out horribly-- whiteheads all over my nose and chin, big pimples on my cheeks where I haven't had any for years, and even a couple on my forehead where I never get acne. While it's calmed down a lot since then, my poor skin is still looking sad a week or so after I went foundation-free to let it breathe. As my skin was pretty much perfect before using it and this is the only new product I've tried, I know what caused that. If it was a bit lighter and didn't turn me into my sixteen-year-old nightmare it'd be a HG product for the gorgeous finish, so I hate to do it, but I have knocked off another lippie for just how terrible it's made my skin look. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who breaks out easily.

on 4/27/2015 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Hate the packaging, if you don't store standing up on the cap it can be hard to get the product out when it runs low. Also, i had to buy both shades to get the right match for skin. I love how it makes my skin look and it is not drying at all. Perfect for Florida sun.

on 6/1/2013 7:49:00 PM

I like this product. It has pretty good coverage for a bb cream and as a redhead, I love that it has a high SPF! My one complaint and the reason that I would not repurchase it; I feel like it get's really shiny. I have dry skin and halfway through the day I feel super shiny and have to re-powder. Good- not great.

on 8/17/2012 10:35:00 AM

I really wanted to like this. The idea of not having to use a separate moisturizer, foundation and sunscreen is very appealing to me. I also noticed that only physical sunscreen ingredients are used in this product. I have rosacea and am very sensitive to chemical sunscreens so this was another reason that I was very interested in this product. I wound up trying this product all over my face one day before going to work, which was a mistake - I did not like the way I looked and I was stuck wearing it all day.

Pros: I found it completely non-irritating and it did do a good job of covering my rosacea.
Cons: I'm a NW 15 and this product is just too dark for me. It's probably best suited for a NW 20-25 complexion. I also did not feel that it was very moisturizing (and I have normal-oily combination skin) even though it felt heavy on my face. It also seemed settled in my pores a little. Finally, it did not do much to hide my dark under eye circles (although, to be fair, I do have horrific under eye circles)

on 11/25/2018 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This can be drying on my skin if I don’t mix in a few drops of Marula or another facial oil with it. I have the light/medium shade which actually looks somewhat pink/grey when first pumped out of the tube but must have some self-adjusting pigments because it seems to blend in well enough that my skin doesn’t look ashy or different from my neck/chest. I do not need to powder on top of this but I do need to moisturize a lot before application. It has better coverage than most other BB creams I’ve tried and doesn’t break down over the day. Most often I find my chin and nose have redness peaking through but not while wearing this BB cream. It is a solid product, I only wish it was cruelty-free so I’m not sure if I will repurchase yet or not. I’d give this 4.5 out of 5 as it’s probably the best BB cream I’ve tried yet.