Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++

Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++
Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++

3.8

I got a 0.06 oz sample of this from Sephora, and waited a long time to try it.
I'm not sure what a bb cream is supposed to do, so I can't rate it per my expectations (which were different). What I can say is I'm extremely happy with it, and I'm strongly debating whether it is worth the money to purchase.
It took me some tries to figure out the proper dosage and method for my skin. Once I figured it out though, it's pretty amazing.
- USAGE: For me, I found the best results happen with [ very little amounts ] [ OVER moisturizer]. I cant use it on its own at ALL, and wouldnt recommend as a replacement for moisturizer. It is an extremely dry cream, meaning it's rich & thick but doesn't glide or distribute well. Unevenness in color is quite noticeable this way. When placed over a moisturizing CREAM though (a serum didnt work for me either, sank in too quickly or made my skin sticky after use), it is just gorgeous.
- AMOUNT: This took some trial and error. I have darkish tones, but I am Korean, if that makes any difference (someone else mentioned Dr. Jart is a Korean brand). If I use too much, I can look very pallid and chalky. I found a method that gave me this impossibly amazing, pearly dust all day legit, all day and it required I use very, very little.
----- A bead the size of a fat water droplet, onto the very tip of my left ring finger. With right ring finger, I poke a side of the bead.
----- Then, I gently pat dots from bridge of my nose to ear along cheekbone. Dab, repeat on the other cheekbone. Repeat across forehead. I basically draw thin dots all along my forehead, cheeks, chin, and bridge of my nose.
----- Then (aided by the glide of pre-applied moisturizer), I GENTLY glide my fingers across from center out to connect the dots.
I am not sure how this works, but it just does. The end result is this freakishly flawless skin. A little pearly, not shiny. You may need blush because it seems to reduce redness from your skin tone. My friend said my skin looked a lot better, and it was just during this test run of the sample product.
- ROUTINE?: Well. This does not remove any steps from my morning routine. As a matter of fact, it adds to it. I still need a moisturizer, and despite the 45+++ spf, I still want the moisturizer to have at least spf30 since I use SO little of Dr. Jarts product.
What this product ultimately is, is the foundation Ive been searching for but have NEVER been able to find. Its coverage is fantastic, but it still lets my skin shine through. I do not look like a muppet (I HATE that sht). I do NOT look like Im wearing foundation at all. It is dewy, not greasy. And it is natural. And it doesnt damage my skin over time, in fact alleges to add to it. Everything I ever searched for in a foundation, I just must have been looking in the wrong place.

on 4/1/2012 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Love, love, LOVE this stuff!

I initially bought it mainly for the high SPF because I have been desperately searching for one that doesn't look shiny on my super-oily skin -- even the so-called matte or "dry touch" facial sunscreens end up incredibly greasy-looking on me. Anyway, I certainly don't achieve a "shine-free" face with this (I'm really surprised at the number of reviewers who find it too drying!), but I can live with it since I'm so impressed with it otherwise.

I hate the feeling of foundation on my skin and seldom use it, but this product gives me a bit of evening-out without that feeling like something is plastered on my face. This is the first sunscreen that I can put anywhere near my eyes without awful burning irritation from the chemical fumes -- why oh why would anyone manufacture a facial sunscreen that can't even go on the top of one's cheeks without giving off fumes??

Even at this age I'm very prone to breakouts -- if I even lightly touch my face when I have hand lotion on, I'll get a pimple at that spot the next day -- but this product hasn't caused any issues whatsoever. If anything, it may even have improved my skin condition. It matches my skin tone perfectly, perks up the pale areas and hides the pinkish bits -- I don't look "made up", I just look like an improved version of me.

The best part was the compliments that started pouring in about a week after I started using it. People kept telling me that they didn't know what I was doing differently, but I was looking really great

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

"Error, page reloading." So now you get the midnight abbreviated version.

I received a sample of this with an order I placed for a different BB/CC and happen to prefer the Dr. Jart more.

SPF 45: I wasn't aware until recently that SPF only reflects UVB protection—some of you weren't aware until just now and it's okay, just admit it—which is slightly misleading. This BB earns points for being broad spectrum AND physical, with both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide (~6%), the latter of which is an effective UVA block. No white cast problems here, either (unlike Ghost In the Shell . . . *silence*).

Texture, Coverage, & Finish: As some others have stated, this BB has just the right amount of radiance; it looks very natural in terms of patina. I received the middle shade (light-medium), which is an appropriate fit for my skin. It has a relatively neutral undertone, maybe a bit olive, which works well to counterbalance the natural rosiness of my cheeks (I want fake rosiness!). This may not be ideal for all; I assume it relates to the manufacturer/origin. It is a moderately thick cream that provides sheer to lower-end-of-medium coverage. Though it will vary by skin type, I find this ideal—it is appropriate to use as a daily face lotion over serums and essences. Once on the face, it does not feel heavy. Initially, it feels mildly tacky to the touch, but this goes away as the product sinks in. I choose to use a light dusting of loose powder around the nose, etc. If you plan to use it in time-limited situations with powder bronzer/blushes/highlighters, you may find it a wise choice to lightly powder those areas of the face, as well, to prevent uneven color distribution.

Wear: This stuff did not settle into the creases that run from my nose to my mouth or the crevices around my nose. That happens with every foundation I use, thick or thin, so credit is due. It did not oxidize, as far as I could tell, and it did a good job of keeping my face balanced all day—it didn't feel dry and the one time I oil-blotted was out of habit. Maybe it was my imagination, but it almost seemed to look better as the (active) day went on; I even cried a little once (boohoo feel bad for me) with no consequence. I swear, as it continued to sink into my skin throughout the day, it looked more natural while retaining its corrective benefits.

Packaging & Cost: This BB comes in a golden-ish tube, which is what almost all BBs come in and they are thankfully conducive to minimal waste. I often prefer squeeze packaging when texture makes it possible, as it's resistant to clogging and it's easier to control how much product is dispensed versus a pump. The cost per liquid ounce works out to be $26/oz, which is on par with—if not less than—other brands.

Minus 1 Lippie: I took off one overall lippie because of the limited color options. (I wear Ivory in Laura Mercier Silk Crème and the middle shade here, so my guess is this won't work for everyone.) I'm also experiencing a bit of pilling this evening, but I consider that minor because I'm a bad person who touches her face . . . and it's likely a side-effect of the mineral sunscreen (and powder), nothing that would be noticed unless someone were aggressively rubbing your skin (whatever you're into).

on 1/20/2014 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I bought 2 Dr. Jart BB creams - the Black Label and Premium. I ended up using the Black Label first and falling in love with it. I wish I had used Premium first - because while I like it just fine, I definitely prefer the Black Label.

How do they differ? The Premium reminds me more of North American BB's, it has sheer-light coverage and isn't very buildable (gets too shiny if layered), and a more oily-feeling moisturising base - the slickness is unappealing to me. If you don't use powder it tends to feel a tiny bit sticky on your face. I like dewy but this was a bit much on my skin. It feels like applying lotion, that hasn't quite sunk in - whereas the Black Label was a bit more matte, but very natural and non-greasy. Also, when I did a side-by-side comparison on my hand, I could tell the Premium was a bit more pinkish which is more noticeable on my yellow-toned skin in sunlight, while the Black Label has a more beige tone. Both are very light, and will probably work for those with fair to the lightest of medium skin tones (about NC20-25 max in my opinion, otherwise it can look grey). I was unable to wear this in the summer and hated both of them initially as my skin was darker, about NC25-30ish. When I did use it, I had to mix them with darker foundation - which is an option if it's a bit light for you.

The Premium can be good for casual make-up days. It is also fragrance-free. The coverage is enough to even out skin tone but not cover blemishes or dark circles or anything along those lines. But in the end - I prefer the Black Label, it blended perfectly into my skin and can be sheered out or built up to medium coverage, and I felt it "meshed" better with skin. I would not repurchase the Premium.

on 7/15/2015 12:52:00 AM

This is a great BB cream with high spf, broad-spectrum protection from non-chemical sunscreens. I usually have an impossible time with foundations, moisturizers and sunscreens, because I have a very fair/very yellow skin tone and very sensitive, acne-prone, oily skin. During the hot and humid summers of NYC & DC where I split my time, it is demoralizingly impossible to have makeup ever stay on for more than 20 minutes, but this BB cream stays on all day and looks nice! If I'm not in a hurry, I'll put a thin layer on all over my face with my fingers, blend in, then add a second layer only on the areas where I have hyperpigmentation (my cheeks). Then I set with powder and add bronzer/contour, then set that with powder. Sometimes I'll finish off with ELF setting spray. If I'm in a hurry, I just smear it on all over my face, set with powder and go. This doesn't oxidize on me, which is also shocking, and I only have to blot twice during the day, instead of every hour on the hour, as I do with most foundations and BB creams. I'm around an NC20-25, and the BB cream in Light seems to work very well for me. But I have heard people with deeper skin tones say the Light shade works for them as well. My neck is lighter than my face, but I just use my bronzer down the center of my neck (as Lisa Eldridge has suggested for folks in my situation) so everything blends in. This has not broken me out and I have been using for about a month now. Really impressed with this product. In the past, I gave a high rating for the Peter Thomas Roth CC cream and the Smshbox CC cream, but this Dr Jart+ Premium BB spf 45 PA+++ is definitely better than both in coverage and staying power. This is also just slightly better for me I think than even the Laneige BB Cushion Compact, which I also love. I think the Laneige cushion delivery system which gives such a nice flawless finish also wastes a lot of product, as I went through the first cushion (.5 oz) super quickly. I don't have that issue with the Dr Jart+ Premium BB and I still end up with a very nice look and finish.

on 10/29/2014 8:01:00 PM

This is my HG BB. I received a sample of the Black Label in my Birchbox and went to Sephora to get more, but I noticed the other types of Dr Jart BB cream, so I tried them. I really liked the way the Premium looked--it wasn't as "bright" as the Radiant one, but less dull than the Black Label (which I really do like) So I decided to buy this one. It makes my skin look PERFECT. I am 44 years old, acne prone around jawline, some skin discoloration due to sun damage and some acne scars. It covers my scarring perfectly, and makes my skin discoloration disappear. It feels great and is definitely high quality. I live in Florida so I love the SPF and love that it's a physical not chemical blocker. Initially when you put it on, you're like "whoa what the hell" but give it 5 minutes and it blends really well I have slightly olive, medium toned skin, I am NOT pale, but it still works really well. I am thrilled to have found this after trying about 5 other BB creams, both Korean and cheap drugstore brands.

on 9/12/2012 7:01:00 PM

I'm extremely pleased with the performance and formulation of this multipurpose product. My criteria are pretty specific: I have fair (NC15-NW20) combination skin and I don't want to get any oilier through the day but I also want to maintain a healthy, natural appearance. I prefer a smooth, satiny finish with medium, adjustble coverage. I am religious about broad spectrum sunscreen 20+ usage, but I avoid chemical sunscreens as much as possible because they bother my eyes. I hate the smell of typical sunscreens. And I want to lighten some minor blotchiness on my lower cheeks. and I want to deal with as few steps/products as possible, because I have no extra time in the morning.

I'm wary of trends, and most BB creams are a disappointment. This product not only includes some beneficial skincare ingredients (including a significant amount of skin-brightening arbutin), it also has a high all-physical SPF without a greasy finish. in fact, the texture and finish really impress me. I'm fair-light, and despite the strange pinkish-gray tone straight from the tube, this blends flawlessly and does not accentuate lines, pores, or flaws. It's slightly thick and provides a bit more coverage than a standard TM.

I would not even have looked at this had I not seen Paula Begoun's positive review of it. It makes my skin look great and doesn't lead to excessive oiliness or any kind of eye irritation. I am thoroughly pleased with this purchase. best of all, it really does combine two steps very effectively.

on 7/11/2012 11:28:00 AM

I have very dry, delicate skin with pinky-red cheeks from mild rosacea. Dr. Jart's Premium Beauty Balm matched my NW15 skin pretty well. For reference, I have also been successfully matched to both Diorskin Nude and Diorskin Forever in Ivory, Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua in BR10, Nars Sheer Glow in Mont Blanc, and Benefit Oxygen Wow in Ivory. That being said, the color match is one of the very few good comments I can make about this product.

I was given a decent sample of this BB from a Sephora SA. I applied a layer to the back of my hand to make sure it matched my skin, which it more or less did. I patted the balm to clean, bare skin the first time I tried it, and I really disliked the texture. It's not quite sticky per se, but it's not a smooth texture. Also, nothing about this was hydrating for me at all. After about an hour, I rinsed the balm off and tried again.

Trial 2: I applied a thin layer of my regular moisturizer, Korres Wild Rose. After letting it sink into my skin for a few minutes, I reapplied some of the BB onto my face, and instantly felt a lot better. Now that my skin was nicely hydrated, I could concentrate on other facets of the balm. I did feel like my skin had a slightly pink-grey cast to it, but it wasn't noticeable to anyone else. I also felt it did a nice job of covering up my redness, but it didn't conceal the small PMS-related blemish I had on my chin.

After about two hours, my skin felt, again, sticky and sweaty. I had to run out the door and had no time to reapply my makeup again, so I added some of my favorite foundation powder on top, Diorskin Nude Fresh Glow. Right away, my skin brightened and the stickiness I was experiencing felt controlled.

I kept the BB on for about 8 hours, and it held up fairly well, but then again I'd set it with powder 2 hours in. However, I was glad to take it off by the day's end, and I threw the sample in the trash too. I see little point in this product. For $39, I could almost buy another bottle of my HG foundation. While I appreciated that this product has a very high SPF and forgoes using sulfates and synthetic fragrances, I felt it was otherwise useless. I shouldn't have to moisturize under and conceal/powder over a "one step" item that is meant to be multi-purpose and time-saving! I genuinely wanted to love this product, but it was pretty much disappointing. Two stars go to the gentle formulation that didn't break me out, plus the SPF 45. Overall, I would not recommend this item for girls with dry skin who need a balanced BB/foundation formula that won't leave skin feeling both tacky and in need of hydration.

on 7/2/2011 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

After all the foofarrah about BB Creams, i was interested to see that Sephora was carrying some. The Dr. Jart brand has been around a while, so i dove in and bought the Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++ (PA is the Asian code for UVA protection - the more pluses, the more protection)

This comes in a gold-bronze colored tube, but it doesn't squeeze out. Instead it has a pump. I have found that if i store it pump up it doesn't work as well as when i store it pump down. Also, often the first pump or two i only get a little splurt, then it seems to work OK.

I am glad to have both good SPF/UVB protection AND good PA/UVA protection (since the US has not yet instituted any standard for UVA protection) purely via minerals, Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. It is comfortably moisturizing. And it includes other ingredients meant to improve aging skin.

I would not classify this as a primer/corrector, which is how it was originally listed here on MUA. It provides medium coverage, more than any tinted moisturizer i've tried. While it doesn't hide all my sun spots, it definitely tones them down alone with my rosacea-red cheeks and evens out my skin tone. It is nice not to have to put on both foundation and sunscreen (most foundations don't have enough SPF for my needs).

It feels soothing and creamy, but perhaps a bit heavy, when applied. And it only comes in one color (as do most BB Creams), in this case a little too dark for my complexion, but no worse than the myriad of expensive foundations i have been testing in my so far fruitless quest to find a foundation that matches my skin (neutral, between 15 & 20).

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I don't like foundations, and, although this feels like one to me, it is so moisturizing and easy to use and--most importantly-- protects the skin from the sun using high percentages of the physical sunscreens titanium dioxide (9%) and zinc oxide (6%), that I rather like it. It glides on much like Melashade, only it's way more moisturizing and easy to build up (it doesn't ball up or emphasize dry patches, although I do moisturize beforehand). I can't say I enjoy putting it on--it just feels too much like make-up for my taste).
My one major gripe is that it has parabens. If not for that, I think it might deserve 5 lippies (and, this is being totally picky, but I wish the container were glass nstead of plastic, since studies now say that plastic may be messing with our hormones).
It is a bit chalky-colored for my ruddy complexion, and if I apply an amount even approaching the "nickel-sized dollop to the face" that the Skin Cancer Foundation recommends, I look like I'm wearing makeup (especially any places that I have blonde peach-fuzz). But today I was out in the midday sun for a half-hour and I didn't burn (although I did get rosy cheeks). It's a tiny bit shiny for my taste, but my skin is so dry from Retin-A that I'll take shine over the dry patches some physical sunscreens exaggerate. It does make my skin look glowy--but that can also exaggerate any acne scars.
Also, I am acne-prone, but it has not caused me to break out yet (knock on wood ;-).
Sephora's website states that is does not contain:
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Synthetic Dyes
- Petrochemicals
- Phthalates
- GMOs
- Triclosan

Ingredients:
Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Phenyl Trimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Dipropylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Arbutin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Butylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Magnesium Sulfate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Calcium Stearate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Polysorbate 80, Propylene Glycol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Talc, Tocopheryl Acetate, Adenosine, Alcohol, Lecithin, rh-Oligopeptide-1, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, PVP, Platinum powder, Steareth-20, Chrysin, N-Hydroxysuccinimide, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide.