Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++

Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++
Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++

3.8

on 5/27/2011 4:51:00 PM

Of all the bb creams I have tried (bb creams from hanskin, skin79, elishacoy), this one is actually not bad, just not for me. Here are some of my thoughts: It has SPF 45 which is actually quite high for a bb cream -- such that it's moisturizing enough so that I don't have to use additional moisturizer prior to application. Also, I purchased this one @ sephora so it's more readily available than others that need to be bought of amazon or ebay. The color is actually quite nice for me - the color is very light and kinda ashy when first applied on the skin. I am a fair-skinned Asian w/ yellow undertones and the color blends very nicely. However this BB cream is VERY sheer, probably provides the least coverage of all the bb creams I've tried -- if you have lots of blemishes, then you will probably need to use a concealer as well. Also the pump on this bb cream does not work very well, sometimes I have to pump numerous times for the cream to come out. I will probably not buy again b/c of the price and sheer coverage of it.

on 7/2/2011 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

After all the foofarrah about BB Creams, i was interested to see that Sephora was carrying some. The Dr. Jart brand has been around a while, so i dove in and bought the Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 PA+++ (PA is the Asian code for UVA protection - the more pluses, the more protection)

This comes in a gold-bronze colored tube, but it doesn't squeeze out. Instead it has a pump. I have found that if i store it pump up it doesn't work as well as when i store it pump down. Also, often the first pump or two i only get a little splurt, then it seems to work OK.

I am glad to have both good SPF/UVB protection AND good PA/UVA protection (since the US has not yet instituted any standard for UVA protection) purely via minerals, Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. It is comfortably moisturizing. And it includes other ingredients meant to improve aging skin.

I would not classify this as a primer/corrector, which is how it was originally listed here on MUA. It provides medium coverage, more than any tinted moisturizer i've tried. While it doesn't hide all my sun spots, it definitely tones them down alone with my rosacea-red cheeks and evens out my skin tone. It is nice not to have to put on both foundation and sunscreen (most foundations don't have enough SPF for my needs).

It feels soothing and creamy, but perhaps a bit heavy, when applied. And it only comes in one color (as do most BB Creams), in this case a little too dark for my complexion, but no worse than the myriad of expensive foundations i have been testing in my so far fruitless quest to find a foundation that matches my skin (neutral, between 15 & 20).

I really like this product. It is my first foray into a BB and it works really well with my NW15 skin, which surprised me. It is not an absolutely perfect match because in direct sunlight I can see a small difference. But my husband has not noticed that I have switched foundations and he usually does notice. I used to love Nars Powder Foundation in Mont Blanc until it started to look a little too powdery. It is probably more an issue with my changing skin and not a change in the product. Dr. Jart's Premium BB eliminates the whole powdery problem and provides the coverage I need. My only issue with the product is the shininess that I must deal with after application. I am currently using E.L.F.'s Studio High Definition powder and it is working well with the shine without giving me the powdery look I was trying to avoid in the first place.

on 8/7/2011 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I really like this! It has great coverage--just enough to cover small imperfections, but not thick. It's only one shade, but it works perfectly for me. I have very dry skin, but it provides moisture. I do use a serum underneath, but it is my sunscreen, moisturizer and foundation in one.
My only concern, and the reason I didn't give it a 5 is that sunscreen needs to be applied generously (I use it always) and it's a little hard to slather on without thinking your applying a color mask. It doesn't seem to appear thick, but it might cause users to not apply as much as needed because of the tint. (This is my first BB or tinted moisturizer.) I've taken to applying it without a mirror so I know I'm using enough. I also have to use a separate sunscreen for my neck, chest and hands now because the color in this would come off on clothes if used lower.

Update: I'm not using this anymore. It pills up pretty bad and that makes me worry even more about the sunscreen coverage besides being a real pain.

on 8/20/2011 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I'm happy I gave this a go. With a drop of MFE yellow corrector blends well with my light, sallow skintone but I suspect it would look weird on those with very fair or medium-to-deep skin tone. It's also a little bandaid-fleshtone right out of the tube. The coverage is surprisingly good--it evens out my skin tone and tones down my visible acne scars. A fast coat of this followed by a bit of Smashbox Halo powder in Light in the center of my face provides a super-fast everyday finish. I do use it over sunscreen when I'm going to be outside for a while because it would look masklike if I used enough for significant sun protection. I haven't broken out, it's not drying, and superfast. After 3 weeks I still like it, but I'm still holding on to my Sephora receipt.

on 9/21/2011 6:25:00 PM

This product has changed my skin, my routine, and my makeup bag. I cannot recommend it enough. I love that the one shade it comes in really evens me out enough that just a dab of powder on my T-zone are plenty. Truly an all-in-one, I don't need moisturizer with this, can apply it on my eye area, and love that it has great anti-aging properties. $39 is a bargain for what you get, and the pump tube lets you get a very specific amount at a time. IN LOVE.

on 10/21/2011 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this as it serves many purposes in one shot and makes my face look fabulous.
The color may seem a bit odd looking when dispensed but it goes on my fair skin beautifully. I have no need for foundation as this one does the job. Along with the anti-aging benefits and the high SPF, this is definitely a winner in my book and I'm hooked. Those with darker skin tones or are super fair, this may not work for you. But for those of you that are mid to fair-medium, this will work great. Although this is in the "Primer" category, it serves many more purposes than a lone primer. It gives enough coverage for myself that I don't need foundation/make up among other things.
***Edit: Not sure what it is but this doesn't work for me anymore and I really don't like it. The color now seems off for my face and makes me look like I have "something" on. My goal at 42 years old: Less is more. I don't need something so heavy as it will accentuate every flaw on my face. This seems to do just that, not sure what has changed but it just doesn't work for me anymore.

on 10/28/2011 5:53:00 AM

I have been curious to try a BB, and bought this at the Sephora F&F sale. On the pro side: good spf, smooth application, decent coverage. On the negative side: the color is too deep/yellow for my fair, warmish skin, it's actually a bit drying by the end of the day, and, worst-it broke me out. I never break out at the age, and have two nasty pimples now. Still on the hunt for the perfect high spf, do-it-all product.

on 11/6/2011 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Pros:
Good SPF 45
Makes skin smooth - guessing the dimethicone
Doesn't settle into lines

Cons:
Too dry for winter, maybe I will try it in the summer
Does not spread well
Contains alcohol- an irritant
Coverage is ok

Maybe it is my skin during the winter, but this product is just too dry for me. I would buy it again during the summer just becuase the spf is awesome, and I love the finish.

on 12/12/2011 8:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Edited 04/2012: In reference to my below comments on Elta Physical, it has been reformulated to it's original lighter tint so I'm using it again. The texture of the Elta doesn't settle into my pores the way the Dr. Jart does. Original review: The tint matches my nc15/20ish (leaning neutral) perfectly. Most spf tm's are either too orange/yellow or too pink but this one is a more natural skin tone. I don't know why it's called a primer/corrector since this is more like a cross between a tm and a foundation. It's not perfect as I can kind of see it in my pores a bit and I feel like I'm wearing foundation. Maybe it will better in the summer when my skin isn't so dehydrated. I'm spoiled from the cosmetic elegance of Elta Physical and Arcona Reozone - both of which have been reformulated to darker tints (nc30-35ish) so they don't suit my skin tone anymore. I've been searching for a replacement but nothing so far looks as natural and undetectable as they did. I'll only repurchase the Dr. Jart if I can't find anything else. As others have stated, I'm not sure if I can get away with using the proper amount for full spf coverage. It's very concentrated and just a small dab is enough to spread over a large area, if that makes sense.