Mad Hippie - Vitamin C Serum

3.6

Water Deionized, Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Alkyl Benzoate, Vegetable Glycerin, Water, Glycerin, Sodium Levulinate, Sodium Anisate, Clary Sage (Salvia Sclarea), Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis), Hyaluronic acid, Amorphophallus Konjac Root Powder, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Vitamin E (Tocotrienol), Ferulic acid, Chamomile Flower Extract (Recutita Matricaria), Sodium Phytate, Xanthum Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose

I love this product and have been using it a couple of years now. I had tried another first, MyChelle Vitamin C, but when I noticed a burning sensation when it got on my lips and a few other tender areas, it made me wonder if it was really good for me period. So I thought I would give Mad Hippie a try. It goes on so silky and I have never had any problems with it breaking out my skin or any burning sensations. Nearly all my products I use do not contain any harmful ingredients, and I am very picky what products I use on me and in my home. I am a Caucasian woman in my early 60's. Like I said early on, I love this product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I am writing this review so I can kick myself and be reminded not to buy this product again. I read so many glowing reviews on iherb.com (lots of Korean girls love this and I know that Koreans care VERY much about skincare; they were comparing this serum to Estee Lauder's synchronized night complex serum in the brown bottle)--- the first time, it gave me small, red bumps and cystic zits. I ended up giving it to my mom who loves it.

I recently bought a second bottle (stupid, I know) thinking that maybe when I first tried it, my skin was just in bad condition and hopefully the second time, I will get the amazing brightening, tone-evening effect that everyone seems to rave about. Boy, was I wrong! It gave me red, patchy spots and cystic acne again. I think there is some ingredient in this that does not suit my skin very well.

Regarding the suspicious reviews below, I do also think that it's somewhat sketchy, but I think it is also a miraculous product for many people and it has really good ingredients. If you want to give this a shot to see if it delivers for you, you can use code YEW608 on iherb to get $10 off your first order.

After reading all the great reviews on this product I was SO hopeful for results. I just finished a bottle so I'm confident in saying that this product unfortunately did nothing for me. It didn't break me out but it also did not improve my skin tone or texture.

Gave me cysts and red bumps all over I'm super upset!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This vitamin C serums relies upon SAP which is a non-acidic derivative of ascorbic acid. It is light coloured and spreads easily and is quickly absorbed by the skin. It caused me no irritation and lasted for a month and a half. I liked the serum, it was moisturizing and went well underneath my sunblock and moisturizer. I wished it had a stronger impact on my skin tone. For the most part my skin is clear with some hyperpigmentation on my jaw and I did not see much improvement after using this serum so I will not repurchase.

So far this product has been working on my skin. I have not seen any irritation from it and my skin along with a few other products I introduced by mad hippie my skin is getting the extra hydration it needs, it is looking more tightened, toned, and not irritated. I have never tried a vitamin C serum before and so far this product is not causing any signs of irritation. It sinks in really quick. I apply it in the AM only as indicated on the box. I use it after I tone with Caudal Grape water. I had been using the Avene Tolerance cleansing milk which dehydrated my skin right out, pores became very large and noticeable and before were non existent, fine lines were creeping up on my forehead and now using this product alone with the cleansing cream and antioxidant facial oil from the mad hippie line I am only down to a few dehydration lines on my forehead. I also use the mad hippie cream cleanser and antioxidant facial oil. I also use the clinique moisture surge facial mask along with biodermas sensible AR anti-redness moisturizer which contains avocado oil and mineral oil to lock in the moisture after I apply all my creams to stay moisturized and that routine has been adding extra moisture to my severely dehydrated skin. Hopefully it continues to work. Yay mad hippie. I will keep you posted for any updates.
Update: made my face mad flush after use and my scars, the few I have on my face somehow reappeared after years of not even remembering where they were. Is that possible. I stopped using this product and now they are slowly receding again. I noticed this once before when I over exfoliated after a sunny destination getaway and right away they went away. Maybe this product was too hydrating it was weird anyways so I stopped using the product.

This is my first experience with a vitamin c serum, and I'm impressed. I use it every morning before sunscreen, and then on nights when I don't use a retinoid. There is definitely a noticeable glow to my skin immediately after I apply this, and my skin has been very smooth and soft since I started using it about a month ago. I love that it's natural and has other antioxidants besides the vitamin c. There is a light smell that I'm not crazy about, but it's not too noticeable. I could do with more sophisticated packaging, but that's just me being picky :) Overall I'm very impressed and will continue to use this!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I bought this because my favourite beauty blogger reviewed it positively. It's quite pricey for a student like me (~$35 before shipping) but I have some stubborn dark PIH that just won't go away even after using a gazillion products! Though this product didn't really help me with that concern of mine, I find the floral scent really calming and it doesn't cause me any breakout whatsoever. It absorbs quite fast and also doesn't leave that sticky/tacky feeling which I really hate. Then again, I didn't use this as consistent as I should, so I'll update this review once I've used it up.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

It's much too early to tell on this, as I've only used it for one night; however, I just put it on my face a second time. From what I can tell, my face has evened out slightly. Before thinking that it could be another product, I should say that I've used the same routine for at least two months or so, and while consistency usually limits pimples, my facial tone has been rough and uneven. This seems to be helping. I'll update as I see more results.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Holy crap. Well this will be a long review. TLDR: I LOVE this product. Soooooo, I have had mild/moderate adult acne for years. FINALLY got it under control with the help of salicylic acid, no picking, and treating my skin gently. (Y'all if you have acne, don't try to annihilate your skin. Be nice to it. I promise it will get better so much faster that way.) Anyway, I was left with some scarring and textural issues, lots of post inflammatory pigmentation, (hate that the most), and being 32, I also have a few fine lines and some "age" spots. (Though I actually kinda like those, I'm normally a bit freckly.) ALSO, I still party too much and don't eat right (working on it, I swear), so I can look dull and sallow after a long night. ALSO, I have hereditary dark circles. Phew. So yeah, I have the laundry list. Anyway, I did my research and decided Vitamin C was a missing link in my routine. I bought this because it has great ingredients and it uses Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, a more stable form of Vitamin C that seems to cause less issues for people with acne. (Thanks for the heads up, other reviewers!) I was super scared of breaking out and ruining all of my hard work over the last few years. I patched tested for a week, didn't notice any issues, and now I've been using this product for about two weeks, and I honestly feel like I have a new face. My skin is brighter, I'm much glowier, lines are DEFINITELY fading, ICE PICK SCARS ARE FADING, pigmentation is fading. I got a bad cyst from using a sunscreen I knew I shouldn't have used, left a huge mark. Was super upset, and this is making it vanish, it is almost completely gone. You people with marks that like to linger for years will understand how huge this is. It has completely faded a broken capillary on my nose. My dark circles are MUCH lighter. THIS PRODUCT IS MAGIC for me. I am not being paid to write this review. I layer it over my BHA, wait about fifteen minutes, and then use my moisturizer and sunscreen. It is a bit tacky and a little drying, but not too bad. Oh yeah, my face feels firmer too! First time using a Vitamin C serum, so they could all be this wonderful, who knows, I don't care what you use, just get some Vitamin C in your life! IT IS AWESOME! I know it's only two weeks, and I'm sure my skin will plateau, but if this can be my new normal I am so happy. I will report back and update my review to let y'all know if I am still loving this stuff in a few months.