Mad Hippie - Vitamin C Serum

3.7

Water Deionized, Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Alkyl Benzoate, Vegetable Glycerin, Water, Glycerin, Sodium Levulinate, Sodium Anisate, Clary Sage (Salvia Sclarea), Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis), Hyaluronic acid, Amorphophallus Konjac Root Powder, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Vitamin E (Tocotrienol), Ferulic acid, Chamomile Flower Extract (Recutita Matricaria), Sodium Phytate, Xanthum Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I bought this because my favourite beauty blogger reviewed it positively. It's quite pricey for a student like me (~$35 before shipping) but I have some stubborn dark PIH that just won't go away even after using a gazillion products! Though this product didn't really help me with that concern of mine, I find the floral scent really calming and it doesn't cause me any breakout whatsoever. It absorbs quite fast and also doesn't leave that sticky/tacky feeling which I really hate. Then again, I didn't use this as consistent as I should, so I'll update this review once I've used it up.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

It's much too early to tell on this, as I've only used it for one night; however, I just put it on my face a second time. From what I can tell, my face has evened out slightly. Before thinking that it could be another product, I should say that I've used the same routine for at least two months or so, and while consistency usually limits pimples, my facial tone has been rough and uneven. This seems to be helping. I'll update as I see more results.

To Read all 25 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Holy crap. Well this will be a long review. TLDR: I LOVE this product. Soooooo, I have had mild/moderate adult acne for years. FINALLY got it under control with the help of salicylic acid, no picking, and treating my skin gently. (Y'all if you have acne, don't try to annihilate your skin. Be nice to it. I promise it will get better so much faster that way.) Anyway, I was left with some scarring and textural issues, lots of post inflammatory pigmentation, (hate that the most), and being 32, I also have a few fine lines and some "age" spots. (Though I actually kinda like those, I'm normally a bit freckly.) ALSO, I still party too much and don't eat right (working on it, I swear), so I can look dull and sallow after a long night. ALSO, I have hereditary dark circles. Phew. So yeah, I have the laundry list. Anyway, I did my research and decided Vitamin C was a missing link in my routine. I bought this because it has great ingredients and it uses Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, a more stable form of Vitamin C that seems to cause less issues for people with acne. (Thanks for the heads up, other reviewers!) I was super scared of breaking out and ruining all of my hard work over the last few years. I patched tested for a week, didn't notice any issues, and now I've been using this product for about two weeks, and I honestly feel like I have a new face. My skin is brighter, I'm much glowier, lines are DEFINITELY fading, ICE PICK SCARS ARE FADING, pigmentation is fading. I got a bad cyst from using a sunscreen I knew I shouldn't have used, left a huge mark. Was super upset, and this is making it vanish, it is almost completely gone. You people with marks that like to linger for years will understand how huge this is. It has completely faded a broken capillary on my nose. My dark circles are MUCH lighter. THIS PRODUCT IS MAGIC for me. I am not being paid to write this review. I layer it over my BHA, wait about fifteen minutes, and then use my moisturizer and sunscreen. It is a bit tacky and a little drying, but not too bad. Oh yeah, my face feels firmer too! First time using a Vitamin C serum, so they could all be this wonderful, who knows, I don't care what you use, just get some Vitamin C in your life! IT IS AWESOME! I know it's only two weeks, and I'm sure my skin will plateau, but if this can be my new normal I am so happy. I will report back and update my review to let y'all know if I am still loving this stuff in a few months.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm now on my third bottle of this and it's definitely HG for me now. I have a really, really hard time finding a vitamin c serum my skin will tolerate. Normally they break me out something awful. This one, while not preventing or healing breakouts, doesn't give me new ones thanks to using Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate. Granted it's not as effective as something like L-Ascorbic Acid, but it's more effective than using nothing at all, which is what I'd be doing otherwise. I also like the other actives in this formula such as vitamin e, ferulic acid, and hyaluronic acid. I use this during the day layered with Metazene Gel and Desert Essence Daily Essential Moisturizer (or Lumene Sensitive Touch Night Cream on days when my already dry skin is extra dry). I've never had a problem with it acting weird under makeup, but that's probably because I'm putting moisturizer on too.

This is a great vitamin C serum for those who can't tolerate L-Ascorbic Acid. For some reason, LAA always breaks me out. This serum uses Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, which is the same vitamin C form used in Ole Henrikson's Truth Serum, which I tried last year and loved. It gave my skin a wonderful glow and clarity. I tried the Mad Hippie serum because I was looking for a less expensive alternative to Truth Serum. This is about half the price and works just as well.

It's packaged in a dark glass dropper bottle, which makes dispensing the serum easy. It's clear, runny, with no added fragrance (unlike the Ole Henrikson serum). It doesn't leave skin feeling sticky. The effects are not going to be as dramatic as a LAA serum, the it will be less irritating and the formulation is more stable, especially since it has ferulic acid in it. Overall, highly recommended!

After it is absorbed my skin feels really dry and inflexible. Even if the vitamin C effects would improve my skin over time, I don't think it is worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I really like this C serum. Absorbs well and agrees with my tendency to be oily, but some won't like the not so moisturizing side. Has improved my skin tone and really enjoy using this... lovely lights feel and scent

This is the first C serum I have tried so I cannot compare to others, however, the results have been very positive: Brightening, even skin tone, smoothing of the skin, clearing up pimples, stopping oiliness!!! I've had no irritation. It is not a particularly moisturizing serum so I am trying to work out what to combine it with. I have given samples of this serum to 2 friends and my mum. All have reported positive results including less wrinkles (mum), removing redness (friend 1) and simply "loving my skin" (friend 2).

This is an excellent Vitamin C serum for a certain kind of person. It's based on Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, which is a great anti-acne agent, and if you're like me, the other two popular kinds -- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate and L-Ascorbic Acid -- tend to break you out. So, at my weird stage of life where I'm still battling acne but wanting to take advantage of Vitamin C's amazing photoprotection and antioxidant capacities, it's perfect.

With that said, a study showed that SAP is *significantly* less effective at collagen synthesis than the other types, but that's not my major priority now (and I have other actives that promote collagen synthesis), so it's fine.

The one thing I will say is that even though it has great moisturizing capacities (hyaluronic acid for the win!) it does leave my skin a tad dry. I follow it up with jojoba oil or the line's antioxidant face oil or moisturizer.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I tried this while sampling numerous expensive makeup products at PCC. I only used it on half of my face on the spot where the pores are largest. Halfway through shopping I looked at my skin and was amazed. The pores had shrunk in that one spot! I didn't buy it though- it was too expensive:( My best friend bought it though and her skin has been looking excellent. Honestly, this is my favorite Mad Hippie Product, though it seems the most useless (don't bother with the antioxidant serum!).