Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
Hydro Boost Water GelHydro Boost Water GelNeutrogena Hydro Boost water gelNeutrogena Hydro Boost water gel Ingredients

2.9

Updated (3/22/2018): Water, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethaqnol, Polyacrylamide, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Dimethiconol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Carbomer, Laureth-7, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Fragrance, C12-14 Pareth -12, Sodium Hydroxide, Blue 1

on 1/16/2019 3:55:00 PM

I was hoping I’d fall in love with this product- I first learned about it in one of those best in class magazine articles.

I’m not in love, but I’m in “like”.
Pros:
Feels nice, gel like (almost) feel, goes on the skin and doesn’t disappear in seconds but doesn’t just sit on the surface either, seems to sink in over 5-10 min - perfect
Doesn’t break me out
Is moisturizing but not heavy on my combination (but dry during winter) skin
Seems to help my makeup go on nicely almost like I’m wearing a primer

Cons:
No sunscreen- it’s fine for evenings but I usually use other treatment type products at night. This is great for daytime but I dislike having to layer sunscreen over it.
Packaging- I don’t like jars, this would be ideal in a glass bottle with a pump or in a plastic tube type container imo

I think I will repurchase- but this is far from HG to me so time will tell

on 12/28/2018 3:40:00 PM

I am on my fourth jar and about fourth month of use of this. It’s not exactly holy grail, but it’s the best I’ve tried in a long time to suit my tricky skincare needs. I have dry, sensitive, and acne-prone (chin) skin. It’s difficult to find products that moisturize enough without causing breakouts.

The formula is lightweight and absorbs almost instantly. I use It after face wash and witch hazel toner at night before bed, and after just a water rinse in the morning. It’s definitely more on the gel than lotion side texture wise, and is a fine base for makeup. There is no noticeable scent, and it has not caused me any skin irritation (itchiness or redness). I feel like I have a lower occurrence of blemishes since I started using it (compared to my old moisturizer, which was the Clean & Clear Morning Burst Gel) and also that when they do happen, they don’t last as long. The minor ones seem to come to the surface and heal within two days most of the time.

My only reasons for not giving this a 5 overall are that it’s not moisturizing enough in the winter, and the quantity doesn’t last very long. I still sometimes have small dry, flaky patches on my face after using it. However, were it more moisturizing, it might be worse for breakouts and I’d rather deal with the dryness. (Note: I did also try the formula labeled for “extra dry skin” but although it didn’t seem different, I broke out a lot more within just a few days with it. Despite my dryness, I stay with the original version.) The formula spreads out well so you don’t need a lot but each jar only lasts about a month with 2x daily use. The price isn’t terrible, compared to the same quantity of other formulas, but I wish they would put this in a pump container and not give you 2/3 packaging and 1/3 product.

For now, I’m happy with the results and sticking with it. Would recommend to those with similar skin type.

on 12/26/2018 3:22:00 PM

This isn’t moisturizing, it made my skin ever drier aaand broke the hell out of my skin, super irritating. It feels great when you apply it, but that’s definitely not worth it...

on 7/9/2018 10:40:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I do not have sensitive skin or skin that "reacts" often to products but it did to this.
Something is in this thats just not good and i do not know what it is. I am so surprised this gets rav reviews and is always quotes in mags. Total fail for me.

This is a no no.

It did moisturize my skin a bit but in return it gave me strange bumps and left a heavy feeling. Definitely stay away if you have sensitive skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Got a sample of this in the mail and so far I absolutely love it! It made my skin feel instantly smoother and unlike most moisturizers it didn't leave my skin feeling greasy. I don't get the negative responses about the scent, I think it smells wonderful - fresh and yummy! But to each their own. It's fantastic if you have problems with your skin, like oily and dry at the same time like do. It also made my complexion look better, it smoothed out any rough patches and made my pores look smaller, I would definitely repurchase!

on 8/15/2017 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This smells HORRIBLE. Absolutely HORRIBLE. Like some kind of cheap glade plug in, or terrible walmart / proctor & gamble / glade candle. Good god. I don't want this anywhere near my face. I don't care what it does.

on 8/6/2017 11:27:00 AM

The first thing to know about this is that it smells like a combo of urinal cake and Febreze. Ugh. It is also LOADED with silicone, which may be why some people find it results in smoother skin. I am older and my skin is dehydrated more than dry, so I though this might do the trick. The SA at Walgreen's talked me into it. I will be returning it.

If it were remarkably hydrating, I *might" be able to get past the smell. But it's nothing special, and not even worth $20.

on 3/27/2017 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

**EDIT: Ok, I didn't know there were 2 versions of this when I first reviewed it. I originally reviewed this after purchasing the one for "Extra Dry" skin. Now, I have and use both, but the Extra Dry one is much better imo. I've moved my original review over to the right product page, so the following is for this formula.**

This formula definitely has a smell, and I won't be purchasing it again. The smell dissipates really fast, but I hate it. Sometimes, when my skin is irritated already, it just makes things worse and my face feels like it's on fire for a few seconds. Weirdly, unlike most products that do that, or cause irritation on their own, the feeling goes away after a few seconds and within a couple of minutes my skin feels totally normal.

I hate the jar packaging of both versions of this product, but I love the one for extra dry skin enough to look past that issue.

The only thing I really like about this product is how smooth is goes on. No tugging, no excessive rubbing, it just glides on and absorbs into my skin pretty quickly. However, unlike the Extra Dry formula, sometimes I need to add more of this because it just doesn't moisturize enough.It might be ok (if it didn't have the smell) for summer, but definitely not winter, at least for me.

I'd say this is overall just a mediocre product, and I don't recommend it.

on 3/21/2017 10:46:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I was so disappointed in trying this gel. The label claims to quench my skin and keep it looking smooth and supple and hydrated day after day. This is simple NOT true. My skin was dry a scaly, had patches of dry flakes in my cheeks under the yes and on my for head, I didn't want to spend so money for it to begin with. Its pretty color, feels cool and easy to apply, but that's all it does. The name Neutrogena is suppose to be a trust worthy company and product, but not on this one.