Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
Hydro Boost Water GelHydro Boost Water GelNeutrogena Hydro Boost water gelNeutrogena Hydro Boost water gel Ingredients

3.2

Updated (3/22/2018): Water, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethaqnol, Polyacrylamide, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Dimethiconol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Carbomer, Laureth-7, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Fragrance, C12-14 Pareth -12, Sodium Hydroxide, Blue 1

on 9/10/2018 7:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm pretty surprised by the negative reviews! But like a previous more positive review, I'm writing with reference to the fragrance-free extra-dry skin variety. My skin gets very dry, even in desperately humid/hot/miserable summer weather, and sometimes the thought of using a regular moisturizer is way too much. Creams never really sink in, and the oil I use in the AM isn't quite right for overnight moisture either. I bought this in a panic when it was about 97 degrees out and I was trying to avoid going back to my un-air conditioned apartment. All in all, I have been happy. The texture is really pleasant, smooth and cool, but it sinks in very quickly and doesn't leave any kind of filmy residue, and it doesn't make me look like a greased pig 35 seconds later. My skin hasn't seemed to have had any adverse reactions to it, no bumps, no breakouts.

As with most people, pots of product are not my favorite by any means, but the wide mouth makes it easy to get a dollop without too much work, and as long as you've washed your hands, it shouldn't be too concerning. I don't think I will continue using this as my PM moisturizer once the weather changes, as I definitely need something stronger for winter, but as a lighter weight/summer product, it has been a great addition to my routine.

on 8/1/2018 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product was a go-to of mine for several years after it first lauched. I recently switched back to Hydro Boost when my other moisturizer ran out, and was so disappointed to find it to be completely different than the many times I used it in the past and loved it. My face looks BAD; not only do I have red patches on my cheeks and whiteheads (tiny ones that always come out when I react allergically), but the pores on my entire T-zone are clogged and huge. I noticed a slight difference in the feel of the gel during its application last weekend but didn't think much of it. My skin, which is combination, has been acting up lately due to rosacea. I'm in my thirties and haven't dealt with major issues since acne in high school was resolved with Accutane. That said, it is extremely sensitive to some sunscreens and silicones. My current dermatologist recommended a few products to try in combination with a prescription gel to start treating the mild rosacea, and the redness and bumps had just started to show noticeable improvement. Enter in Hydro Boost and the redness is back ten times worse. Washing with Dove soap makes it burn, and like another person said, my skin is so dry that it hurts to touch. Yuck. I would urge anyone with sensitivity and/or allergies to certain ingredients to switch test it elsewhere prior to applying it. It's awesome to have sites like this to vent and also maybe help someone else avoid the hassle of spending days waiting for a bad reaction to resolve.

on 1/15/2018 7:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Bought this product a few weeks ago after hearing about how moisturizing the product is meant to be, as I have very dry, sensitive skin. I thought this product would be perfect for me. Used product for a week or so with no issues at all. Applied product one evening last week and felt a severe burning sensation, all over my face. My skin then began to feel very tight and painful to touch. One week on and my skin is still incredibly sore with very dry, peeling patches all over my face. It has made me breakout and left my skin feeling worse than before I had started using the product. It has been a more than a week now and I feel I may have to go to the doctor as it doesn't seem to be clearing up at all. I would not recommend this product if you have sensitive skin, it contains silicone and is heavily perfumed. Just wish I had read some reviews before purchasing, hope my skin clears up soon.

on 10/18/2017 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have rosacea/sensitive skin and this broke me out after one application (used it once a day for a week).
I liked the texture and feel of the gel, but sadly I had to give it away.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

This review is for the hydro boost serum (I couldn't Find a page for it). It absorbs quickly and really boost hydration without being greasy it's a really good product if your skin ever feels tight and dry

on 3/27/2017 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

**EDIT: Ok, I didn't know there were 2 versions of this when I first reviewed it. I originally reviewed this after purchasing the one for "Extra Dry" skin. Now, I have and use both, but the Extra Dry one is much better imo. I've moved my original review over to the right product page, so the following is for this formula.**

This formula definitely has a smell, and I won't be purchasing it again. The smell dissipates really fast, but I hate it. Sometimes, when my skin is irritated already, it just makes things worse and my face feels like it's on fire for a few seconds. Weirdly, unlike most products that do that, or cause irritation on their own, the feeling goes away after a few seconds and within a couple of minutes my skin feels totally normal.

I hate the jar packaging of both versions of this product, but I love the one for extra dry skin enough to look past that issue.

The only thing I really like about this product is how smooth is goes on. No tugging, no excessive rubbing, it just glides on and absorbs into my skin pretty quickly. However, unlike the Extra Dry formula, sometimes I need to add more of this because it just doesn't moisturize enough.It might be ok (if it didn't have the smell) for summer, but definitely not winter, at least for me.

I'd say this is overall just a mediocre product, and I don't recommend it.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I've been trying to find a suitable gel moisturizer for my sensitive, oily, acne/prone skin, and I'm so happy that I found this one! It's cheap, feels great when you apply it, doesn't feel sticky, and dries almost instantly. I've been using it for about 6 months now and I love it. The only thing I don't like is the smell. It's a bit too strong for me.

on 9/20/2016 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT! I have been using it for close to a year now, so I have a pretty solid opinion on it. I have very sensitive skin, especially around my chin area- and this has not triggered any kind of rash or pimples. I use it in the morning, and I find I like the results better if my skin is just the tiniest bit damp from the shower.. it doesn't sink in as well when my skin has dried. I was hesitant at first because of the price... I have spent more on moisturizer but never at a drugstore! Needless to say, the results spoke for themselves as I am on my 3rd jar.
One added benefit, I use this as a medium for my pigment foundation and it is the PERFECT consistency and my foundation glides right on, and stays looking fresh af all day.

This is my go to product.... Its a lighter formula so not for night use.... I supplement it at night with Eucerin q10 cream!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I tried this product on a couple of times and I just couldn't do it. I love Neutrogena products, but unfortunately this one did not work out for me. As soon as I put this on my face it started to feel really hot and turn red. Needless to say I washed it off immediately! I think I might have been allergic to one of the ingredients, I would be careful if you have sensitive skin, otherwise it seemed like a really nice lightweight moisturizer. I would not use it, but if you are not sensitive I think it would work well.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Like the previous reviewer, I recently finished a jar of this moisturizer. I wanted to like it because the texture is so elegant (a water gel cream as advertised) , but it made my skin feel weird--smooth and plump but also tight and weirdly dry. Must be all the silicones. The jar is pretty (though unhygienic) and the price is reasonable, but I won't repurchase. I need a more moisturizing moisturizer!