Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
Hydro Boost Water GelHydro Boost Water GelNeutrogena Hydro Boost water gelNeutrogena Hydro Boost water gel Ingredients

3.2

Updated (3/22/2018): Water, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethaqnol, Polyacrylamide, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Dimethiconol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Carbomer, Laureth-7, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Fragrance, C12-14 Pareth -12, Sodium Hydroxide, Blue 1

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is like Clinique's DDMG minus anything good in it (a tiny amount of Olive extract and Hyaluronic acid barely count).
I purchased this along with the matching cleansing gel as the two were on offer if purchased together. I didn't like the cleanser and I definitely do not like this. My skin broke out terribly by the 3rd day of using it at which point I checked out the ingredients list and realized almost every second ingredient was a silicone. I don't think I've ever seen so many in a product - not even a hair one!!
After reading so many good reviews on this I purchased on a whim, completely forgetting about DDMG and its silicones being the culprit behind my flakey and bumpy skin some years back. This did the same, but worse and much quicker!
If you're good with silicones and normal to oily/combination then this might work for you. If you aren't then steer well away from this one.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 12/29/2018 4:20:00 AM

After getting my face ruined by the Cerave PM moisturizer I needed a new moisturizer and this one had good reviews and was at a reasonable price. Hasn't broken me out but it doesnt hydrate/moisturize at all.

on 12/28/2018 3:40:00 PM

I am on my fourth jar and about fourth month of use of this. It’s not exactly holy grail, but it’s the best I’ve tried in a long time to suit my tricky skincare needs. I have dry, sensitive, and acne-prone (chin) skin. It’s difficult to find products that moisturize enough without causing breakouts.

The formula is lightweight and absorbs almost instantly. I use It after face wash and witch hazel toner at night before bed, and after just a water rinse in the morning. It’s definitely more on the gel than lotion side texture wise, and is a fine base for makeup. There is no noticeable scent, and it has not caused me any skin irritation (itchiness or redness). I feel like I have a lower occurrence of blemishes since I started using it (compared to my old moisturizer, which was the Clean & Clear Morning Burst Gel) and also that when they do happen, they don’t last as long. The minor ones seem to come to the surface and heal within two days most of the time.

My only reasons for not giving this a 5 overall are that it’s not moisturizing enough in the winter, and the quantity doesn’t last very long. I still sometimes have small dry, flaky patches on my face after using it. However, were it more moisturizing, it might be worse for breakouts and I’d rather deal with the dryness. (Note: I did also try the formula labeled for “extra dry skin” but although it didn’t seem different, I broke out a lot more within just a few days with it. Despite my dryness, I stay with the original version.) The formula spreads out well so you don’t need a lot but each jar only lasts about a month with 2x daily use. The price isn’t terrible, compared to the same quantity of other formulas, but I wish they would put this in a pump container and not give you 2/3 packaging and 1/3 product.

For now, I’m happy with the results and sticking with it. Would recommend to those with similar skin type.

on 12/26/2018 3:22:00 PM

This isn’t moisturizing, it made my skin ever drier aaand broke the hell out of my skin, super irritating. It feels great when you apply it, but that’s definitely not worth it...

This is my holy grail daily moisturizer. I have tried a TON of different moisturizers. I love using this in the mornings after cleansing and using a more heavy duty cream cleanser at night. This stuff doesn’t cause pimples, hydrates my skin and makes it feel supple. Never a fan of the jar style of moisturizers but I’ll give this a pass because it works. I will buy this again. For reference, I have combination skin, I’m mostly dry but I get oily through the day. I have had huge improvement in my skin using this product and am suffering from much less daytime oiliness and don’t feel dried out.

on 11/24/2018 12:48:00 PM

I’m a huge fan of this. My combo/dry/sensitive/clog prone skin loves this. It feels awesome when applied, refreshing. It absorbs super quick. If I’m feeling extra extra dry, I’ll apply twice. Kicks the glam glow versions booty, and is waaaay cheaper!

on 11/14/2018 4:11:00 PM

I haven't broken out or anything from this, but I really can't stand the burning sensation it gives my skin. My beloved Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence has hyaluronic acid as well, but it has never given me a burning sensation. As far as the actual affects go I haven't noticed anything particularly extraordinary. My skin isn't any worse off than before, but it's also not very hydrated, which was the whole reason I gave this a try. I'm not a huge fan of added fragrances or dyes and this has both.
Thought I would give this a try since it was so well-loved elsewhere, but for the cost, burning sensation, and unnecessary additives it's not worth it.

on 9/19/2018 1:09:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I tried this moisturizer when getting my makeup done by my MUA friend. The texture of this moisturizer is typical to gel moisturizers and the viscosity is a little runny (I recommend sitting this product right-side-up if you buy it online, so all the product sits down and nothing spills). One thing that saddens me about this product is that it is around $20 USD; this is why I won't repurchase.

I have used up 3 tubs of this product. I find this product runs out after around 2 months with daily use. This product comes in a tub, I find nothing is wasted. This DOES have a scent and I like it a lot; it goes away upon application. If you have tried Neutrogena's Hydro Boost face mask, then it's the same exact scent. It takes a minute or two to dry. I have experimented a lot with this moisturizer. My face has combination skin; oily t-zone and dry on my cheeks. This moisturizer can be light-weight, and you can easily apply too much. A little goes a long way and ESPECIALLY for oily skin. If that's not enough, you can always layer on more.

This moisturizer is oil-free so it often under-performs for the dry areas of my skin. This is a huge con; I often have to add oil to the moisturizer for my face. For those with dryer skin, this may not be what you're looking for. (This combination of moisturizer-and-oil also works well with this product; the gel moisturizer binds to the oil well. I have not applied oil to the whole tub, but instead apply to the small amount I need; because my combination skin requires me to use the product as-is.)

I do have ONE sensitive area on my face. This product does make the area around my nostrils burn if I apply A LOT. This area is the most sensitive area of my face, it happens with most products. I put a little put on.

Do I recommend this product? Yes, for normal-to-oily-skin. No for dry skin. :)

on 9/15/2018 7:02:00 PM

I've used up my jar of this, i used it as my daytime moisturiser with sunscreen applied after it set on the daily. I have dry skin, and because of my age, my issues are eye wrinkles, drying skin and sun damage.

It did the job, it moisturised my skin and my skin remained hydrated throughout the day.

My issue was the texture/formula. Its lightweight, and it needs time to set. Which meant of a morning in order to get this to work for me I had to apply the moisturiser, then go have breakfast, then apply sunscreen. If I didn't allow this product at least 5 minutes to soak in before applying the next product, i had problems with products moving all over the place. Since I work and I have a life, I'm not interested in spending an hour getting ready by waiting for products to soak into my skin before applying the next layer. Its not a product for the time poor woman.

I also think its not a product for mature or dry skin, i think its more suited to young oily skin that needs hydrating but doesn't want something that will clog pores. At my age, I prefer a more moisturising product rather than a hydrating product like this. So, if you have hours and hours to get ready of a morning, don't work, don't have responsibilities, have oily break out prone skin - you may like this.

on 9/11/2018 4:39:00 PM

This has been my go to moisturizer before makeup for about a year. I would try to moisturize with creams, but it was too heavy for my oily skin and wouldn’t sink in quickly enough for mornings I needed to get to work on time. Basically - oil slick by 10 AM when I attempted to apply makeup after my cream moisturizer. It was so bad I stopped moisturizing before makeup. I just put the cream on at night and let my natural oils do whatever the next morning.

Now, I am able to put this product on to hydrate and plump my skin, leave it for about 10 minutes, and apply makeup that looks really nice over it!

Seeing the other reviews this product will either irritate your skin or not. Thank goodness I have not had any breakouts and I have pretty sensitive skin (for instance I personally can’t use the high-end “Drunk Elephant Baby Facial” because it clogs my skin like crazy!!!).

I would recommend people to at least try (especially my oily brothers and sisters) because it’s an economical find that works amazing on some people. Maybe just do a patch test on your forehead and keep the receipt!