Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
Hydro Boost Water GelHydro Boost Water GelNeutrogena Hydro Boost water gelNeutrogena Hydro Boost water gel Ingredients

3.3

Updated (3/22/2018): Water, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethaqnol, Polyacrylamide, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Dimethiconol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Carbomer, Laureth-7, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Fragrance, C12-14 Pareth -12, Sodium Hydroxide, Blue 1

TL;DR: If you have sensitive skin and you really want to grab this product, PATCH TEST FIRST.

Pros:

- VERY nice texture; a soft-gel cream that goes onto the skin and dries to a silky finish. This is due to the high concentration of silicones in the product.

- Absorbs quickly.

- Very light moisturising properties (both a pro and a con; see cons below). I can imagine this moisturiser would be a god send for people with oily to very oily skin or those who live in hot, humid climates.

Cons:

- This is quite an expensive drugstore product. I had to dish out $24 AUD for this product, which is ridiculous considering that Neutrogena's other moisturisers range between $10 - $15 AUD. This might be due to the concentration of hyaluronic acid inside, and (most probably) the fancy packaging. You can get much cheaper lotions with higher hyaluronic acid concentrations for much less (see: Hada Labo, Tony Moly).

- VERY light moisturising properties. If you suffer from dry to very dry skin, this product is nowhere near rich enough to deliver significant moisturising benefits.

- The jar packaging. Quite nice to look at, but unhygienic compared to 'pump' and 'squeeze' containers.

- This product does not 'layer' very well (i.e. putting another product on top, for example another moisturiser, sunscreen or foundation). I attempted to put another moisturiser on top of this one and the water gel balled up underneath. I had to gently pat my second moisturiser, sunscreen and foundation on top to stop the water gel from balling up and falling off my face.

- The scent. HOO BOY I am very tolerant when it comes to strong smells (if I can tolerate my partner's farts I can tolerate anything) but this moisturiser can even challenge those with steel noses. Like other reviewers have mentioned, the scent is very much like fabric softener or car freshener. To me personally, it smelled like Pantene Pro-V shampoo. Very unexpected smell. If you are sensitive to fragrances, avoid like the plague.

- (This particular 'con' may not apply to you, but it's definitely worth a mention) This moisturiser contains a few fragrant additives (hence the strong smell). These additives may severely irritate sensitive skins. When I first tried this on, my nose and under-eye area burned like the Devil's arse. I have other fragrance-free moisturisers with similar ingredients to the water gel, and none of them burned my skin like this one. I eventually had to throw it out after four uses because it literally hurt to wear this moisturiser after using my regular gentle cleanser.

- (This didn't apply to me, but others have mentioned breakouts of the cystic kind) This may be due to the presence of Sorbitan Olivate, which can trigger breakouts in some people (olive derivatives are considered to be comedogenic due to the oleic acid content). Just something to keep in mind.

Overall, there are much better moisturisers on the market.

on 4/30/2017 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This Hydro Boost gel isn't great for my skin after all. With repeated use, I started to break out and get small whiteheads. It blocks my pores. I just stopped using it and won't be repurchasing it again.

on 4/26/2018 8:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I usually like to go a bit more in depth with reviews but I think this one can be covered simply by: didn't moisturise, broke me out everywhere.

on 9/26/2016 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

THE HG daily moisturiser for OILY SKIN!!!
I have always had oily skin all over my face but once I became a mum my skin changed and became sensitive as well. The harsh exfoliators I used in my teens just tore my skin to pieces in my mid 20's and so I started getting dehydrated skin but it was so hard to find a hydrating moisturiser and cleanser without oil in it until this amazing product came along!! Hyaluronic acid is an oily skins best friend. The reason our skin produces more oil/serum is because it thinks we're dry and dehydrated and it's just trying to fix that problem. Alot of hydrating products forget that oily/dry skin is a type of skin we're born with that can't be changed but dehydration is just a temporary solution so using an oil product on oily type skin won't be a permanent fix. But the hyaluronic acid in this product locks in water (not oil) into the skin to keep it hydrated and so the skin doesn't over produce the sebrum we hate.
This little product is also a lightweight gel which is the best type of moisturiser to get for oily skin. Creams are normally greasy and are almost always oil based and heavy and are designed for dryer skins. The gel just glides onto the skin and after gently rubbing it in, it's completely absorbed, and there was absolutely no greasy film left on my skin. It felt so soft and i could literally feel the hydration in my skin with my fingertips. My primer and foundation just floated on top.
And of course, it's completely oil free and only $20 in Australia from the supermarket!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Just bad. Tried a sample of it and of course broke out everywhere (I have severe cystic adult acne and everything breaks me out, and this was still bad). You read hylaronic acid and think moisturizing, but this "moisturizer" is literally just a ton of silicones with a very, very small percentage of hylaronic acid. It's like putting foundation on your face and leaving it there without washing it off (most foundations are silicone based). Ingredients matter, y'all, and silicones are not designed to have any long term moisturizing effects on the skin, but rather act as a barrier between your skin and the elements. That's why this product could have been good if they had combined the silicones with more quality moisturizing ingredients, but as it stands, it's kind of a rip off. Of course it makes your skin feel smooth at first, but it doesn't have any actual moisturizing properties. Save your money.

The jar is pretty, though, and I'm fine with the smell.

on 12/17/2016 5:11:00 PM

I live in Turkey and saw this product on sale one day. I have been looking for a good nighttime moisturizer that is lightweight and this initially attracted me. I have sensitive and acne prone skin but I have it under control, meaning my breakouts are now small and very rare. A few days after I started using this I got 3 huge cystic pimples. I got home from work and noticed them when an hour previously there had been nothing! This is very unusual for me and the next day it got worse, they were hugely inflamed and sore. I went to the derm to get cortisone shots for each of them costing me about $150. I read some of the other comments about this product noticing people getting cystic acne and one person mentioned a specific ingredient. I definitely do not recommend this product and normally I love neutrogena! I use so many of their other products. Oh, and after I stopped using this moisturizer my face went back to normal. I will not be repurchasing and it will be thrown in the trash.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Here is my basic information because everyone's skin is different. My skin tends to run oily but I have been using retin-a so it is now normal to slightly oily. My skin can also be sensitive and easily break out with certain products and sunscreens.

That bit of history out of the way, I use this product because, as I said the retin-a gel I use at night has been drying to my skin which is normal so I need something to bring back the moisture during the day. BUT - my moisturizer cannot be be too thick or oily or else I will have an oil slick on my face 10 minutes later.

This product is amazing on my skin. I use it right after my morning shower and wait about three or four minutes before I apply my foundation. The water gel, is very light, slick and applies easily. It adds just the right amount of moisture to my skin that it does not feel thirsty but not too much that it feels like a Texas oil field. I use it on my eyelids too and it works well to provide the moisture the delicate skin there needs as well.

I would improve the packaging. I don't prefer things in a small tub like container. I would rather have a tube because I feel it is cleaner.

I have been using it for two months so far and I plan to use it forever or as long as they make it.

on 6/16/2015 9:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Good stuff, but oh so runny! Make sure it is in the upright position before you open it, or you will end up with a mess. In related news, my sink has never looked so youthful and hydrated :)

on 5/19/2014 8:37:00 AM

Feels tacky when u first apply but dries to velvet,almost matte finish after 30 seconds. I apply a generous amount since it's not too rich/pore clogging and it gets absorbed super quickly. My dehydrated skin loves this! Dont think it does or claim to do anything else besides hydration. Would recommend for dehydrated skin gals, not for those w dry skin. There's a difference :)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I wanted to love this so much. I am 47 and still have very oily skin, but now have dry patches as well. I need some moisture, but nothing greasy. I have fits with greasiness under makeup. I loved the way this performed. It absorbed quickly and added moisture without greasiness or making my skin oily. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, my skin started to itch and got mosquito-bite like whelps. Something in this doesn't agree with my skin, maybe the fragrance. I tried the Garnier brand product that is similar with no problems. My husband used it with the same reaction. My son is using it and loves it, so if you are not sensitive to it, lucky you!