NYX Professional Makeup HD High Definition Eyeshadow Base

NYX Professional Makeup HD High Definition Eyeshadow Base
HD High Definition Eyeshadow BaseNYX eyeshadow base

3.9

Isododecane, Talc, Beeswax, Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Phenoxyethanol/Methylparaben, Ethylparaben/Butylparaben, Propylparaben/Isobutylparaben, Colorant, Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI77492), Iron Oxide Black (CI77499), Iron Oxide Red (CI77491).

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I had high hopes for this eye primer but it failed! My beef with this inexpensive guy is that by the end of the day, my eyeshadow is sitting in the crease. Not as bad as some, but I'd rather pay for my favorite, Urban Decay's eye primer, than lament my smudged eyeshadow every day.

I bought this product a few weeks ago - just before I went on holiday to Italy (where it was pretty hot, so I could test it properly to see if it would smudge in this sweaty weather). It was €7,20 in a NYX store in Belgium - which is a fair price for this product I'd say. I've tried a few (budget) primers before (Essence, Catrice, HEMA and Artdeco) and none of those can do what this NYX primer can. I wore it on daily basis in Italy when I was wearing both eyeshadow and liner and my make-up did not smudge at all! Even though my skin got really quite sweaty, my eyeshadow didn't really crease and still looked really nice at the end of the day. Maybe it did fade a little - but no ugly smudging or creasing, so I'm happy. Not sure if the more expensive brands do even better - but compared to the ones I've tried; this one wins!

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've never used an eye primer before because I found the whole concept kind of gimmicky, and I didn't think it could be any different than using concealer on my lids. I have seen the light of day after using this eye primer. This stuff is amazing and affordable! My eyeshadows glide over my lids and they blend so beautifully and easily. The colors don't crease or move around, and the lasting power is unbelievable! One night I fell asleep with my eye makeup on and the next morning I woke up looking like I had just applied my eyeshadow. I'm so impressed I've been telling all my friends to go get this stuff. Will definitely repurchase

on 4/28/2018 8:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I have oily eye lids, which means some eye shadows and liners can fade away, but this is reasonably good at holding them in place.

Trick is to apply liner/shadow once this primer is completely dry but can still feel a little tacky even when applying liner/shadow.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is my go-to for making cheap eyeshadows stay in place longer. I like to apply a thin layer of this over the lid, then go over it with a powder shadow (Wet n Wild's single in Creme Brulee(?) is my go-to), and then do the rest of my shadow on top of it. It's not completely budge-proof, but it's close, and it definitely makes a huge difference in terms of keeping eyeshadow from just sliding right into my crease.

Packaging - 2/5 because the white printing on my tube has come off (I think maybe I got something oily on it? Still shouldn't have happened). And I'm not a fan of the doefoot applicator, but I do like the form factor of the neat black cylindrical tube, so there's that at least.

Its a decent primer....goes on nicely, but takes a long time to "dry". Once dry it lasts on my lids without it becoming too oily (I do not have very oily lids). Overall, even for the price, I wont buy it again....I prefer UD PP.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I've been on the hunt recently for a good eye primer lately for my hooded eyes and this is sadly not the one. I like this for the coverage but any product in my crease is seriously faded by the 6 hour mark. I really like the UD PP but the original doesn't cancel out much of my veiny eyelids. This one does at least that but doesn't help the eyeshadow last any longer for me.

on 5/8/2017 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The primer really doesn't suit oily eyelids. It creased all day even with a little powder on top of the eyeshadow.

on 3/21/2017 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This didn't work on my oily lids. I think I got around three hours of uninterrupted shadow time.
By noon, which is approximately after 6 hours of wear, my eye shadow had pretty much melted away.
If your skin isn't too oily (mine is very oily) this might be the product for you, but for people with oily lids, pass on this.

on 1/1/2017 2:50:00 PM

I have been using Urban Decay's Shadow Primer for years and I love it, but had read about NYX's version. It's much cheaper than UD which admittedly was my primary motivator for buying it. For me it works just as well as UD. My big criticism of NYX (hence the loss of one lippie) is the wand applicator. I prefer the tube / squeeze out the amount you need option of UD. UD also goes on with a slight pearly sheen to it while NYX is white. I do have oily eyelids and often I will just swipe on some UD on my lids with no eyeshadow and it just evened out the tone. With NYX it would be too white to do that.

Bottom line: I'd buy it again.