NYX HD High Definition Eyeshadow Base

NYX HD High Definition Eyeshadow Base
HD High Definition Eyeshadow BaseNYX eyeshadow base

Isododecane, Talc, Beeswax, Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Phenoxyethanol/Methylparaben, Ethylparaben/Butylparaben, Propylparaben/Isobutylparaben, Colorant, Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI77492), Iron Oxide Black (CI77499), Iron Oxide Red (CI77491).

on 1/1/2017 2:50:00 PM

I have been using Urban Decay's Shadow Primer for years and I love it, but had read about NYX's version. It's much cheaper than UD which admittedly was my primary motivator for buying it. For me it works just as well as UD. My big criticism of NYX (hence the loss of one lippie) is the wand applicator. I prefer the tube / squeeze out the amount you need option of UD. UD also goes on with a slight pearly sheen to it while NYX is white. I do have oily eyelids and often I will just swipe on some UD on my lids with no eyeshadow and it just evened out the tone. With NYX it would be too white to do that.

Bottom line: I'd buy it again.

on 12/27/2016 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I have oily eyelids. I applied this primer and it never dried. Still I put on the eyeshadows and they creased with a blink.

I do not know if it was a bad tube or it was not right for my skin. I just threw it away anyway because it has parabens and I discovered I am allergic to them.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Great primer that works good and is reasonably priced. The formula is liquid-y and blends in quickly, and no fragrance either (something that is hit or miss with the brand). I get better performance out of a different primer, but still keep this around for when I do a natural look with just an all over light shade when a little creasing is ok.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

I realized this only works if you wear a ton of eyeshadow. If you use it just to keep your eyelids from being oily, and only use a layer of powder over it, it will crease within minutes.

on 11/14/2016 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I was never an eyeshadow person. My obsession was always with winged liner. However, I got into It recently and after playing around a bit and perfecting my technique (with the aid of old/secondhand eye shadows from others) I decided to buy my first palette - a neutral one for every day (Too Faced's natural matte, if you were curious).

Anyways, to cut the crap, I didn't feel like shelling out the 25 dollars for the urban decay primer potion. I'd read the reviews on here and decided to buy this base. I mean, I just shelled out a lot of money for this supposedly great quality, higher-end palette so it'd better be way more than decent even without a primer!

Turns out this stuff kicks ass. Obviously, I haven't tried any other primers so I can't compare this to anything. I wasn't worried about how much it would add to the pigmentation of the shadows as they are already great to begin with. What I was more concerned about was longevity, and boy did I get it: they didn't budge, crease or fade. I typically have my makeup on for twelve hours or more every day (I'm always too lazy to take it off until bed) and my eyeshadow always looks like I've just applied it, without exaggeration. I've even gotten comments about how well my shadow lasts at the end of the day. I don't know how good this is with cheaper shadows that will require that extra 'lift' unfortunately.

I don't know how good UDPP or TFSI are and neither do I care - this thing exceeded my expectations and it's only a third of the price of these two! I would definitely recommend and will always repurchase!

on 9/13/2016 11:38:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I haven't tried many eyeshadow primers, but I like this one. It's not spectacular, but I think it does increase the longevity of my eyeshadow and I'll definitely consider buying it again when I run out.

on 8/31/2016 8:32:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is the best primer I have used. Well, it's on an even par with Urban Decay (gasp!).

I put a few dots on my eyelid and sweep over the lid with a concealer brush. I finish with a loose powder and I've created a base that lasts all day.

To compare between this and Urban Decay:
Texture - NYX is thick and doesn't blend as well as the UD, which is much lighter. The NYX gunks up my concealer brush and I have to wash it quite often.
Price - Here's no contest; the NYX is half the price of the UD.
Longevity - both last all day. The UD only comes out in special occasions though!!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

The packaging reminds me a little of NYX's soft matte lip creams - only in the color black. It has a doe-foot applicator and the product it picks up is quite creamy. It feels light on the lids and does help bring out the color of your eyeshadows, in addition to helping them stay longer in your lids. The price is quite affordable as well, and I'm not planning on splurging my cash for any other eyeshadow primer.

on 7/11/2016 2:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

This is a good primer for the price, I think this was $6. I've had this for literally years and still haven't run out. This is a creamy beige color that blends in well. No weird smell or anything. With this primer less is more. If you put too much your shadow will crease. This holds my shadow together for 7 to 8 hours, then it will crease. Packaging is simple and cute but I wish it were in a tube where I could get all the product. Solid primer but I feel like there has to be better out there so I put no for repurchasing. I am currently testing out Milani's primer. It's in a gray tube, I forgot what it's called. I will post a review on that page when I've come to a decision.

on 6/16/2016 11:41:00 PM

I have been using this since i first started using makeup and i absolutely swear by it. You don't get a crease at all in your eye shadow. I've slept with my makeup on countless times (dont kill me) and wake up and could leave the house, again, with the same face of makeup on and you would never know it was from the day before. Perfection.

If you're looking for a cheaper dupe of the Too Faced 24 Hour Shadow Insurance, this is it. Trust me.

* Of course, the Too Faced 24 Hour Shadow Insurance is like, a smidge better, but for about $8? Come on, you cant beat it.