Essie No Chips Ahead

Essie No Chips Ahead

2.4

I felt compelled to write a review regarding this product, something i never, ever do. The No Chips Ahead top coat is absolutely terrible, it bubbles every single manicure I've ever used it with (Essie colors and others) and it takes an extortionate amount of time to dry. Even after a 2-3 hour post application wait time where the manicure is rendered so delicate by this topcoat it cannot be even lightly touched by the fingers to check if it's dry without ruining the finish, this top coat smudges every single time and is tacky even the next day. I have woken up after a full nights sleep and still my manicure was not set. Since it takes so long to dry, every time I've ever used it, it has dried with a matte, smudged finish that looks terrible. Also, the manicure lasts only 2-3 days before chipping, no better than a typical top coat.

In my opinion, this product is a big disappointment from Essie. I can say with certainty that this is the absolute worst top coat I've ever used and today I've thrown it in the garbage (full new bottle). Essie products are on the higher price end and I'm disappointed that I spent over $10 for this topcoat however I did not keep the pharmacy receipt. Upon looking up the reviews online I see that this complaint is widespread and this product has awful reviews. I'm surprised it's still on the market under the Essie brand as it was my perception that Essie is more of a high end nail product company. Today I wrote to Essie as well to provide some product feedback.

My best advice is DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT, it is an absolute waste of money and time. Every time i wanted to give it another chance I regretted it and ended up completely re-doing my manicure. Get Essie Good to Go Topcoat.... this one is the best.

on 10/24/2015 1:51:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Terrible, terrible top coat. It will literally take hours to dry. I waited about an hour and lightly pressed onto the nail to see if it was dry and it smudged. It gave a little bit of shine but who who has time to just sit there and not do anything while it dries?

Do not buy. I am so glad I was able to return it and get my money back.

To Read all 90 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/9/2015 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

The good thing about this is that it actually works. This extends the life of my polish to at least three days without chipping, no matter what I'm doing with my hands. I could be washing my hair, doing dishes, gardening... my polish won't chip.
The bad thing about this is that it takes two digit number of hours to dry. Literally. God forbid I apply this sometimes in the afternoon, I'll wake up with sheet marks on my nails the next morning.
So if you're going to use this, make sure to apply it sometimes in the morning, be careful with your hands for the next three to four hours (yeah I know) and if you manage to that you'll be super happy with your polish for the next three days. Or get a Shellac.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is a terrible topcoat. It makes the polish underneath bubble and look terrible. I have no idea if it actually keeps the chips away, as every time I have used it, I have had to redo my nails.

on 7/12/2015 2:22:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

So this will be a sort of contradicting positive review but here it goes. This top coat makes whatever polish you use take forever to dry. I often wake up with sheet/hair marks after I use it. Why 5 lippies then? It is the only top coat I've ever used that the polish will stay on my nails without chips for at least 5 days. With all others I get chips in the first 24hrs. Because of the long dry time I've tried to find something else, but nothing else makes the polish last for me (and I've tried so many of the "good" ones). So until I find something that dries fast and provide chip free wear, this will be my HG top coat.

on 4/30/2015 12:36:00 AM

Honestly, I really love the Essie brand as a whole, but this product is just terrible.
I normally use the fast drying top coat, but they were sold out. So I bought this one to try out. Big mistake.

Con:
- It never dries. I could wait a whole day, and still smudge/smear my paint job
- Its expensive

Pro:
-None.

Sorry Essie, but why are you still making this product to sell?

on 4/23/2015 10:23:00 AM

Wow, a big disappointment! I Well...painted my nils last night. The texture of this is very tacky. After a full hour, I touched them to see if they were dry. No..and it resulted in the polish underneath being smudged! It didn't end up all over my sheets, but this morning, the texture of the nails itself is very sticky. Imagine white glue that has residue all over your nails. I took a shower; and it started peeling off my nails. I would not recommend this to anyone!

on 3/14/2015 2:21:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Worst. Topcoat. Ever.
I thought it was just me, but I should have read the reviews before I bought this! I liked Essie's Good to Go, so when I ran out of that I thought I'd try this one. It's awful. It takes hours to dry completely, so unless you can just avoid doing anything with your hand for 2+ hours, you are going to end up with smudges. Really nothing good to say about this, I regret buying it. :(

on 2/10/2015 2:13:00 PM

Essie, what are you thinking? Did you even test this product? This is far and away the worst top coat I've ever tried. Despite letting it dry for an hour, the polish ended up being dented and even dulled in some areas (looked like your matte about you which does actually dry). Whether or not it chips in a few days is irrelevant; it looks bad right now! I'm not sure how this ever got on the market, but it should be discontinued. It's an embarrassment to the Essie brand.

Seche, please forgive me for straying.

on 1/10/2015 12:37:00 AM

Do NOT buy this product. If you did buy it and are having problems with your nail polish not drying, its not you, its this product. Take it back and demand a refund.

I've tried writing to Essie today to say how much this product is a total fail and rip off, however their feedback form on their website does not work.

This product does not dry. it does not set, and it will not let your nail polish dry or set and therefore it will ruin any manicure you do.

You put it on to half dried polish, and the polish will not dry. You put it over properly dried polish and it will soften that nail polish, make it wet, and your manicure is now ruined because you touch or bump anything and the nail polish behaves exactly like a wet nail polish, it smudges, moves and bubbles.

If you have this polish, contact Essie and complain about this product. Mail it back to them. You've paid your money, if you put it in the trash they don't get any feedback and they still get to laugh all the way to the bank, but if you post it back to them then they have to take some accountability for such an awful product.

I like the brand overall, but this product - I want my money back on this one.