Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm - Red Dahlia

Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm - Red Dahlia
Tinted Lip Balm - Red DahliaTinted Lip Balm - Red DahliaTinted Lip Balm - Red DahliaTinted Lip Balm - Red Dahlia

3.7

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 12/11/2018 11:36:00 PM

PROS:
-Best actual MLBB, extraordinarily "natural" looking color I've ever used. The shade is genuinely a perfect accompaniment and enhancement to my skin color (fair/mediumish with warmish neutral undertones, Deep Winter). It is very like Clinique Black Honey but a bit more subtle and mauve. It applies smoothly on me, no streaking or sticking weirdly in spots. It's a color you could absolutely wear for no-makeup-makeup and look fabulous and utterly natural.

-I need something somewhat moisturizing in the winter to use some days, and the glut of matte shades proliferating in my lipstick wardrobe is an issue this time of year. Even stuff that isn't technically "matte" tends to be somewhat, and therefore kinda drying. It does fulfill my "lip friendlier" moisturizing needs... barely though.

-Packaging is perfect for what it is. I like my tinted lip balms to look like lip balm and not lipstick.

-Price is great. I quite liked Clinique Black Honey (my last year's similar purchase for my wintertime-tinted-balm needs). But the price sucked for the tiny bit of product. This is very, very similar on my lips anyway and much, much cheaper.

CONS:
-The texture is the somewhat oilier type like Lip Smackers Dr Pepper, or Clinique Black Honey. Basically, it's a lot more moisturizing than a matte lipstick but not quite lip-balmy. I am listing the texture as both a pro and a conference, I know! It's basically okay as a lip balm, but not as good as their actual lip balm.

-It does need frequent reapplying. Like a lot.

-My lips are only moderately pigmented. May not do much at all on deeply naturally pigmented lip colors. Or darker than medium skin in general.

on 11/3/2018 7:47:00 AM

The formula is too shiny and smeary for my liking. It's also not as deep as a red as I hoped, it comes off almost a little pinkish on me.

on 8/20/2018 12:15:00 PM

I really want to like this but it applies patchily and collects in lines on my lips. The color is pretty but the finish looks garish. The packaging is standard.

It’s cheap and worth trying if you want a light warm red wash on your lips.

on 8/15/2018 12:21:00 AM

The red dahlia shade is one of my favorite (and first!) beauty products ever. Leaves a smooth, buttery finish and the perfect casual wash of color that can oftentimes be enough to brighten up the whole face. Since I usually wear very minimal makeup and really do not like the way lipsticks look on me, this is a great go-to. However, I am super pale and the red dahlia shade is as light as I go, the other shades barely show up on my lips at all, so I know these balms probably don't show up as well on more melanin-blessed complexions

on 6/3/2018 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I love Burt's Bees beeswax balms in the stick/tin...I am pretty addicted to both, can't live without...This sounded great, having some color, but so little color payoff for me. My lips have very little color, they're light pink so I need way more color than this can offer, not going to work!

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Red Dahlia looks like a dark claret red but applies a gorgeous dusty dark mauve on my lips. The problem with this lip balm is the formula. It dries out and causes my lips to chap.

I have been using the regular chap stick for soooo long but I am always disappointing with every other product they make...The name of this is misleading as it doesn't look red at all when on. Also its kind of messy...like it comes off tooo thin or something. Doesn't last long and looks blah on me. Maybe they should stick to their classics and not try to make more money off sub-par products.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Love this color of this lip balm, but the formula is a no-go for me. Like several other reviewers have noted, the texture is very thin and... oily? Greasy? Not like a balm at all. And despite being a Burt's Bees product - which I expected to be super-hydrating -this product dries my lips out, especially in winter. It's back to my trusty Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker, which is only a tad less pigmented than this balm, but is never drying!

on 10/7/2017 1:49:00 PM

I love this stuff beyond reason. I'm on my third tube, and I've given some to friends who hadn't tried it yet and they're hooked now too. I think the Red Dahlia shade is flattering on almost everyone. It's perfect for when you want a little colour and moisture, but don't want to put on lipstick. I know some people find it a little slick and greasy, but I live in a very dry climate so I welcome the extra moisture. It's a little pricy, so I just buy it when it's on sale.

I was recently given Bite Beauty's tinted balm in Blackcurrant, and it's really nice too, but truthfully, this stuff is just as good at about a third of the price.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have at least two of these in different bags/places in my house. I really wish I had tried this earlier because this is basically the tinted balm version of my HG lippie, Nars Dolce Vita. It's very MLBB for me. I've liked all of the Burt's Bees tinted balms that I've tried - this is the 3rd color I've tried: Dahlia, Pink Blossom and Zinnia. I'll definitely be repurchasing these over and over.