Weleda Gentle Cleansing Milk

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Weleda Gentle Cleansing Milk

4.2

Water, Sesame Seed Oil, Alcohol, Jojoba Seed Oil, Lysolecithin, Fragrance*, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Witch Hazel Distillate, Iris Germanica Root Extract, Xanthan Gum, Limonene*, Linalool*, Citronellol*, Geraniol*, Citral*. *from natural essential oils

As a brand, I like Weleda because many of the products are packaged in metal or glass, and I do not buy products packaged in plastic for environmental reasons. Also, since they are a European company, it's my perception the products are less likely to be unhealthy and full of potentially unsafe chemicals, due to stringent European product safety standards.

I had been using Dr. Hauschka Sothing Cleansing Milk (also packaged in glass and European) and wanted to try something similar. The Weleda cost a bit less per unit than the Dr. Hauschka, so I thought I'd try it it. Here's my take...

What I don't love about this cleanser, first and foremost, is the very strong fragrance. It's a heavy herbal/floral scent. When looking at it, I didn't notice that "fragrance" is the sixth ingredient on the product list. Even if it is a naturally derived fragrance, it's way too strong for my liking. Since it's an open bottle top, it also tends to pour out all at once, which is wasteful. I don't care for the somewhat thin consistency, either. It's a lot thinner than the Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Milk.

I guess it's doing an OK job of cleansing my skin. I haven't had any issues since using it, and I do tend to have fairly sensitive skin. I don't wear much makeup (i.e., no foundation) but since it's so thin in consistency, somehow my perception is that it isn't really taking everything off at the end of the day. After using it, my skin feels fine, though, neither stripped nor filmy.

In the long run, I'll be going back to Dr. Hauschka.

Pros:
Packaged in blue glass
Realtively short ingredient list
Lower per unit cost than Dr. H

Cons:
Uncontrolled product dispensing
Very strong scent
Thin consistency

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I love this cleanser. I'm in my mid 30s, have light PMS breakouts, rosacea when I have caffeine, wine, or chilies, and combination skin. I am also interested in nourishing my skin through the colder, drier months so that I age well :-D. This cleanser has a therapeutic herbal aroma. It cleanses my skin without drying or clogging pores. It is milky and non-foaming but rinses easily. I like that it's so gentle - great cleanser for autumn weather. I have been using Weleda for 15 years - they're simply wonderful. Only complaint is that the product does pour out a little fast, so have a gentle hand with it.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I am on my second bottle of this facewash, and I am obsessed. I have combo skin with mixed parts: oily in t zone, dry on cheeks.
You can read more about the benefits of cleansing your skin with an oil based cleanser elsewhere, but let me say it is the best change I have made for my skin. I use this cleanser mostly at night, but in the winter it it my day and night cleanser (because my skin is more dry).
I use the facewash three ways depending on my skin's needs, so it is super versatile.
1. I wet my face with warm water, and rub some between my hands and apply it to my face. Then I put a warm washcloth on my face and rest for a minute, then I rub the washcloth around and splash my face to rinse with water. This is my go to way of using it. Next up: toner, moisturizer. I wake up with glowing, non oily skin.
2. I can use this as a makeup remover first, then follow the steps above. I will rub it into my dry face and wipe off. This will remove stubborn eye makeup and that colorstay type of lipstick.
3. If I am feeling lazy or my skin is just dry, I will wet my face with warm water, rub the cleanser into my face and then wipe it off with a wet warm washcloth instead of splashing it with water. This leaves my skin very moisturized and I skip the toner and moisturizer.
Some other observations:
-the bottle is kind of expensive, but one will last me almost a year. So, totally worth it. I use about a nickel sized amount each time.
-the bottle is made of pretty blue glass that I admire each time I use it.
-the smell is absolutely divine. Now that I have been using it for so long, it just means "clean and relaxed" to me.

on 10/17/2012 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I am on my 3rd bottle of this cleanser and I really like it. It leaves my skin feeeling clean, refreshed and happy (as in not dry, tight, bumpy, grainy or red). I seem to be breaking out less with this too because I think it cleanses without drying your skin. I have dryish, sensitive skin and now that I am almost mid-thirties my skin just doesnt seem to handle foaming cleansers anymore (even my cerave foaming wash was starting to dry and irritate) so I have switched exclusively to this. I use it morning and night. At night, I apply it to my dry face and really massage it in a few minutes to lift up makeup and grime. I get a baby wash cloth with hot (not piping hot) water and press to my face for about 30 seconds then use gentle downward motions to remove makeup. I keep going over my face till all makeup is removed. Since it has essential oils, I dont use it to remove eye makeup so I still use plain almond oil there. Then after removing makeup, I take a little more cleanser, massage into skin for a minute or so, and then splash it off with lukewarm water. This final step leaves me extra clean and leaves a light layer of moisture behind on my skin since I dont take it off with the hot wash cloth. Then I tone and put on my Weleda Almond cream and my skin is so happy and redness is reduced so I am happy :)

Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I tried this one and the One Step Cleanser/Toner so excuse the comparisons that come later.

The first step to determining your best cleanser is to know exactly what you want from it. You need to know which texture you like and how you want your skin to feel when cleansed. Some like the onomatopoeic squeaky feel and would tend towards foaming cleansers or soap bars. I love the soft, glowy, dewy and moisturized feel so I will naturally tend towards cleansing milks plus I just hate foaming cleansers. I also stay away from those drug store cleansing milks. They just feel weird and yucky! Anyways, this Gentle Cleansing Milk is nice but for me, the One Step is even better because it makes my skin glow which is awesome. This GCM is for much drier skin because it goes the extra mile of impacting even more moisture than you would expect from a cleansing milk so take note :).

You really can't go wrong with Weleda cleansers. I think they are top notch. All the cleansers I have tried from them achieve the dewy feel that I love and don't strip your skin of moisture.

on 10/14/2011 3:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was on sale at Target for about $10 (orig.$19) which is pretty pricey for a cleanser that's only 3.4 fl oz but I heard good things about Weleda so decided to give it a try. Now this is formulated for people with normal/dry skin (I have sensitive/oily) but since it's getting cold where I live, I figured it would be okay. Verdict: I only use this at night because it leaves a slight film on my face which I actually like because I don't like putting a bunch of stuff on my face before I sleep (let your skin breathe!!!). Also, water doesn't really get the job done- what works for me is splashing my face with warm water, pouring a quarter size of cleaner in palm and massage all over face, then take a cotton ball or pad and wipe off cleanser. This method takes off all my makeup along with the cleanser so my skin feels clean but moisturized and comfortable. Overall I do like the formulation of the cleanser but the bottle is so bulky and you have to be careful pouring it out or you'll literally pour half the bottle down the sink! I would buy again at the sale price but def not for full price.