Weleda Gentle Cleansing Milk

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Weleda Gentle Cleansing Milk

4.2

Water, Sesame Seed Oil, Alcohol, Jojoba Seed Oil, Lysolecithin, Fragrance*, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Witch Hazel Distillate, Iris Germanica Root Extract, Xanthan Gum, Limonene*, Linalool*, Citronellol*, Geraniol*, Citral*. *from natural essential oils

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is such a beautifully textured product. It is a lightweight milk texture that foams up slightly to cleanse skin. It leaves skin feeling very soft and well hydrated even before applying moisturizer.

The blue glass bottle make this feel more like an expensive luxury skincare product. I love the all natural ingredients so I feel comfortable using it.

As a brand, I like Weleda because many of the products are packaged in metal or glass, and I do not buy products packaged in plastic for environmental reasons. Also, since they are a European company, it's my perception the products are less likely to be unhealthy and full of potentially unsafe chemicals, due to stringent European product safety standards.

I had been using Dr. Hauschka Sothing Cleansing Milk (also packaged in glass and European) and wanted to try something similar. The Weleda cost a bit less per unit than the Dr. Hauschka, so I thought I'd try it it. Here's my take...

What I don't love about this cleanser, first and foremost, is the very strong fragrance. It's a heavy herbal/floral scent. When looking at it, I didn't notice that "fragrance" is the sixth ingredient on the product list. Even if it is a naturally derived fragrance, it's way too strong for my liking. Since it's an open bottle top, it also tends to pour out all at once, which is wasteful. I don't care for the somewhat thin consistency, either. It's a lot thinner than the Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Milk.

I guess it's doing an OK job of cleansing my skin. I haven't had any issues since using it, and I do tend to have fairly sensitive skin. I don't wear much makeup (i.e., no foundation) but since it's so thin in consistency, somehow my perception is that it isn't really taking everything off at the end of the day. After using it, my skin feels fine, though, neither stripped nor filmy.

In the long run, I'll be going back to Dr. Hauschka.

Pros:
Packaged in blue glass
Realtively short ingredient list
Lower per unit cost than Dr. H

Cons:
Uncontrolled product dispensing
Very strong scent
Thin consistency

on 10/16/2011 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I'm on my fourth bottle of Weleda's Gentle Cleansing Milk and have no plans to stop now- I love this stuff.

I have sensitive, oily skin, and some time back, I decided that I was going to start treating it differently. Instead of washing with a cleanser designed for oily skin, I started using this cleansing milk and following it up with the Weleda toner. For whatever reason, this seems to have made a very positive impact on my skin. The oil production seems to have decreased, possibly because I'm no longer stripping the oil away.

In any case, this cleanser leaves my skin soft and fresh. Over time, I've noticed a decrease in redness and fewer breakouts, as well. The product has a texture like a very thin lotion, and has a very pleasant and distinctive herbal smell. I pour out a nickel-sized portion onto my hands every morning and night, massage it into my face, let it sit for about 30 seconds, then rinse with warm water. The cleansing milk is especially effective when used in conjunction with Weleda's refining toner, but it highly recommended on its own, as well. Great stuff.

on 10/14/2011 3:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was on sale at Target for about $10 (orig.$19) which is pretty pricey for a cleanser that's only 3.4 fl oz but I heard good things about Weleda so decided to give it a try. Now this is formulated for people with normal/dry skin (I have sensitive/oily) but since it's getting cold where I live, I figured it would be okay. Verdict: I only use this at night because it leaves a slight film on my face which I actually like because I don't like putting a bunch of stuff on my face before I sleep (let your skin breathe!!!). Also, water doesn't really get the job done- what works for me is splashing my face with warm water, pouring a quarter size of cleaner in palm and massage all over face, then take a cotton ball or pad and wipe off cleanser. This method takes off all my makeup along with the cleanser so my skin feels clean but moisturized and comfortable. Overall I do like the formulation of the cleanser but the bottle is so bulky and you have to be careful pouring it out or you'll literally pour half the bottle down the sink! I would buy again at the sale price but def not for full price.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This is a new cleanser for the Weleda line. Cleansing Milk's are a new thing for me and I'm learning I have to give the product a little more massage time, but when I do I really prefer a cleansing milk. They don't feel stripping, I'm not counting down the seconds until I can apply my face oil and my skin feels considerably more relaxed and nourished, dare I say balanced after using one. I read an intern's review on the Weleda site and she mentioned massaging it in with a damp cotton round so I tried that and fell in love. I follow her routine, splash my face with some warm water, massage about a quarter+ size amount into my whole face for a minute or two, then take a damp cotton round (usu. two) and continue to massage the product in, sometimes adding more if I've just come in from a run and am sweaty, greasy and grimey from the day. This product is what is says--a gentle cleansing milk, but very effective and still protective and nourishing. I have been alternating this with my L'uvalla Gentle Hydrating Milk, (thicker, more emollient rich) and my skin has never felt happier. (After ~6 years of using the same cleanser every day, I've learned the benefits of tweaking my cleanser based upon skin nuances, and these two interchange quite nicely without feeling diametrically opposed in function, both very gentle, nourishing, Weleda being lighter and my preference before a run and the L'uvalla before bed). While I love my cleansing oils, those can leave behind a residue that I have to be fastidious about removing, otherwise massive breakouts ensue :( that whole process can become time consuming, though it's great for removing clogs. I wanted something gentle and easy for the evening, not too time consuming, this is a great product for that. I actually enjoy cleansing my face now that I've been turned onto cleansing milks--no longer fearing the ache, burn and tightness I was feeling after washing with a stronger cleanser. I've noticed a marked decrease in my redness and yay no clogs appearing! Right now with the weather being spring (cool and rainy one day, hot and sunny the next), this is great for balancing and I can see it taking me well through the summer. I feel nicely clean and *not stripped* after using this. I typically have issues with products that combine an oil + alcohol, usually end up with something resembling a heat rash on my face, it seems the alcohol burns my face and an oil and/or wax traps in the heat, but NO PROBLEMS with this, yay! Plus it's the Weleda line, I love their line and trust their ingredients. Well worth the price and makes for a fantastic cleanser for my sensitive, clog-prone, combo skin.

Ingredients are: Water (Aqua), Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Alcohol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Lysolecithin, Fragrance (Parfum)*, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Iris Germanica Root Extract, Xanthan Gum, Limonene*, Linalool*, Citronellol*, Geraniol*, Citral*. *from natural essential oils